F-5E vs MiG-21: Soviet Test Pilot's Insight

ilya1502

Hello, everyone!

I think this can be of a great interest to the community, as it was for me. This is an excerption from the book "Life-Long Runway" written by the Soviet Air Force test pilot Vladimir Kondaurov. The story is that in 1976 the Soviets got an F-5E to test. Here is what the test pilot made out of it.

The translation was made by myself. English is not my native language, so, please, forgive me if the text is not perfect.

Edited by ilya1502
  • Like 4

fantastic read!

i'm glad we got "several" FSU a/c to glean intel from - and in fact fight against

i'm also glad that the big wheels of the bureaucratic process over there deemed it more important to protect their national pride than to take seriously the lessons gleaned from the western technology dropped in to their laps

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent article Ilya! Thank you for sharing!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Excellent article Ilya! Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome! A very interesting book indeed. It would be interesting to read something like this about the "Red Eagles", which set similar experiments on the other side of the ocean.

two good books on the subject...

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Eagles-Americas-General-Aviation-ebook/dp/B004X7533K

and http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Eagles-Dramatic-Account-Fighter/dp/0743497244

i've got them both - a lotta good stuff in there

(note - the first one is very "documentary" ---- a lot of data, not very enjoyable reading - actually had a hard time pushing through - second one is much more enjoyable)

this one "may" be good - it looks interesting, but i haven't read it.. http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Secret-MiG-Squadron-CONSTANT/dp/1849089760

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you, enjoyed reading that! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

ahhh.... SO THAT is where the Russians got their hands on the technology to make MiG-28!!!!

f5_2.jpg

just kidding Top Gun :)

Excellent read! thank you very much ilya, I enjoyed the whole article and shared with my squad mates.

S!

• Like 1

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

• 2 weeks later...
Just information, as presented in a video. I make no claim of fact or otherwise. I was simply avoiding a new thread.

But this thread is about the F-5E & MiG21 as seen through the eyes of a Soviet test pilot, where does the MiG-15 & F-86 ever come into the picture?

If there's something I've learned posting on these forums it's that if you want to discuss something other than the original topic, then you need to make a new thread for it, otherwise you risk getting a warning.