Some switches functionality

myHelljumper

Hey guys, now that most of the plane features are done I wonder what are the uses of a few switches and knobs that are not yet implemented. I hope someone that is more knowledgeable than me will know the answers :)

HUD controls :

Gun piper selector -> I understand it have something to do with the AG gun piper but I don't know what.

EFF switch -> To clear error messages on the HUD ?

VTB :

Radar Map Display Select -> Something to do with the yet to be implemented radar ground modes ?

Radar control panel :

Radar illumination switch -> Ground radar ? VTB brightness/contrast... ?

Radar contrast switch -> Ground radar ? VTB brightness/contrast... ?

Radar gain dial -> Ground radar ? VTB brightness/contrast... ?

Radar doppler reject switch -> I think I understand this one but AFAIK it does not work, will it be implemented and what does it precisely do ?

Target memory time selector switch -> I think this functionality has be discussed before, but I can't remember if it will be implemented.

A/G radar A mode switch -> What is A mode ?

A/G radar DEC mode switch = terrain avoidance, here on Peruvian Mirage 2000P (RDM radar)

VISU button = MAP mode

VAL button -> What does it do ?

I know it's a lot but I like to know everything(okay most :D) about the planes I fly.

Thanks for your answers, and especially to RAZBAM for this wonderful plane simulation :thumbup:

Edit : Answers are in bold

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

VIS = MAP mode

DEC = terrain avoidance, here on Peruvian Mirage 2000P (RDM radar)

The 3 VTB colours are green/ yellow/ red

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

VISA = MAP mode

DEC = terrain avoidance, here on Peruvian Mirage 2000P (RDM radar)

The 3 VTB colours are green/ yellow/ red

Thanks for the infos, I will update the first post with it.

Does our RDI have the same DEC function that the Peruvian mirage that is using the RDM ? Or is it some legacy switch ?

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, now that most of the plane features are done I wonder what are the uses of a few switches and knobs that are not yet implemented. I hope someone that is more knowledgeable than me will know the answers :)

HUD controls :

Gun piper selector -> I understand it have something to do with the AG gun piper but I don't know what.

EFF switch -> To clear error messages on the HUD ?

VTB :

Radar Map Display Select -> Something to do with the yet to be implemented radar ground modes ?

Radar control panel :

Radar illumination switch -> Ground radar ? VTB brightness/contrast... ?

Radar contrast switch -> Ground radar ? VTB brightness/contrast... ?

Radar gain dial -> Ground radar ? VTB brightness/contrast... ?

Radar doppler reject switch -> I think I understand this one but AFAIK it does not work, will it be implemented and what does it precisely do ?

Target memory time selector switch -> I think this functionality has be discussed before, but I can't remember if it will be implemented.

A/G radar A mode switch -> What is A mode ?

A/G radar DEC mode switch = terrain avoidance, here on Peruvian Mirage 2000P (RDM radar)

VISU button = MAP mode

VAL button -> What does it do ?

I know it's a lot but I like to know everything(okay most :D) about the planes I fly.

Thanks for your answers, and especially to RAZBAM for this wonderful plane simulation :thumbup:

Edit : Answers are in bold

HUD controls :

Gun piper selector -> It selects the gun piper functionality. Whether you want to use computerized assistance or not. It is not implemented because there is not a lot of information on it.

EFF switch -> No information on this one. At first we thought it was to clear target locks but there are other buttons/switches for that.

VTB :

Radar control panel :

Radar illumination switch -> INOP in the real aircraft. Probably a switch for an older radar set.

Radar contrast switch -> Very likely a signal filter control. There is no info on this and functionality is very likely no supported by DCS so not implemented.

Radar gain dial -> Controls the radar antenna gain. Function not supported in DCS so not implemented.

Radar doppler reject switch -> This one affects the Doppler filter. In AUTO (default) all contacts below a predetermined speed will be filtered out. In the other modes the filter speed gate is increased/decreased. I cannot change Doppler filters in DCS so not implemented.

Target memory time selector switch -> It will be, but I need a little more information on this one.

A/G radar A mode switch -> Either this or VAL is terrain avoidance. A/G only. The you tube video is of this mode.

A/G radar DEC mode switch -> Special terrain avoidance mode. It can be used with A/A mode in order to fly in constricted space while searching and locking air targets. It will warn if terrain is too narrow. A/A + DEC only have RWS and TWS submodes so you cannot shoot radar guided weapons with this mode. I'm not sure there is terrain mapping on this one in order to avoid clutter while searching/tracking.

VISU button -> MAP mode A/G mode only

VAL button -> Either this or A is terrain avoidance. A/G only.

There are a lot of gaps in available information regarding the RDI radar, most of the functionality of the buttons are extrapolated from different sources.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

From my researches I found some answers to one of my questions, the EFF button is used to toggle the fictive weapon safety.

Indeed. And as simulated weapons (better than "fictive" ;)) are not implemented in DCS, this button is not implemented either.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about another switch, the fuel transfer switch for air to air refueling. There are 3 positions: OFF (or closed), ON (Day), and ON (Night). Regardless of day or night time, the 'Day' position does not allow fuel to flow into the Mirage, only the 'Night' position works. What is the 'Day' position used for??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) that refueling switch was half/half implemented (just visually, no changes to the code yet).

The label shows 3 positions (off/Day/Night), but mouse clicking ignores the center position (it used to be a 2-pos switch,and still works as one in-game). Using keyboard bindings toggles between off/halfway between off and day/day). And since night is the old "on" setting, only having it sit at night mode works for the moment.

So just use your mouse to turn it on (Night) for now, and until it is fully implemented, don't use the key bind because that will have the switch stuck at a not-implemented position.

Edited by CrashO

• 11 months later...

Radar Map Display Select on VTB... What does this mean? :)

And RADAR T/M/Z/C PARAMETER. If N set point as bullseye.

Edited by Glimmer

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

And RADAR T/M/Z/C PARAMETER. If N set point as bullseye.

Check out this thread for more info on the radar: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198076

Nearer to the end it talks about the switches around the outside

As for the radar map display, I believe the manual or something I read somewhere mentioned that it’s for displaying a moving map on the radar screen, which isn’t implemented currently?

Edited by Nightwolf
Would help to actually link the thread ;)

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

As for the radar map display, I believe the manual or something I read somewhere mentioned that it’s for displaying a moving map on the radar screen, which isn’t implemented currently?

But it will release? Is it possible? :)

Thank you for link!

Edited by Glimmer

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

Just for your information, in our Mirage 2000EG the VTB switches have 3 functions

1) as described above, they are used from the pilot to insert an A/A target, which is yet outside radar detection parameters. The position / altitude are passed to the pilot from CGI

2) they are used to insert Exocet anti - ship missile parameters.

3) they are used in conjuction with the INS to insert on the display various navigation lines / points etc.

Edited by jaguara5

Just for your information, in our Mirage 2000EG the VTB switches have 3 functions

1) as described above, they are used from the pilot to insert an A/A target, which is yet outside radar detection parameters. The position / altitude are passed to the pilot from CGI

2) they are used to insert Exocet anti - ship missile parameters.

3) they are used in conjuction with the INS to insert on the display various navigation lines / points etc.

The Mirage 2000E has a different data bus (more evolved) than Mirage 2000C.

The VTB became a true MFD.

But thanks for the insight Jaguara5, I didn't know they kept A/A target position functions :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi