New Nvidia drivers update = warps, stutters and freezes on CV1?

Buckeye

Yesterday afternoon I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers (honestly can't remember the version number, whichever one the auto update proposed) and while flying last night I was experiencing some pretty terrible warping...not sure "warping" is the right word, as that's more associated with what I experience in busy MP servers; it was more a matter of the picture freezing in my headset for a few seconds on the screen then randomly unfreezing, and a LOT of stuttering. Has anyone else experienced this after updating?

I'm trying to decide if this is a red herring on the Nvidia driver update, or something else I should be looking at? When I get home tonight I plan to roll back to the my old drivers and see if that alleviates the issue.

edit: Sorry I always forget there are multiple versions of DCS, this was in 1.5

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Find out what driver version you are using and post it. When you roll back use DDU to clean out all your old driver files.

Roger that, I will check when I get back home to my PC tonight. Thank you!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

There is an issue with driver 388.13.

If using a program like Afterburner or Precision X for your GPU monitoring, if it is monitoring Power then there have been reports of major stuttering. If you are running , go in and disable power monitoring.

I read about it prior to installing these drivers, so went in and disabled power monitoring and so far working well for me.

Have a look at this thread over on the EVGA forums:

https://forums.evga.com/PSA-If-you-experience-constant-stuttering-with-the-latest-nvidia-driver-38813-read-this-m2727185.aspx

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There is an issue with driver 388.13.

If using a program like Afterburner or Precision X for your GPU monitoring, if it is monitoring Power then there have been reports of major stuttering. If you are running , go in and disable power monitoring.

I read about it prior to installing these drivers, so went in and disabled power monitoring and so far working well for me.

Have a look at this thread over on the EVGA forums:

https://forums.evga.com/PSA-If-you-experience-constant-stuttering-with-the-latest-nvidia-driver-38813-read-this-m2727185.aspx

PERFECT!! Thank you for posting this, I run Afterburner upon Startup so this is most likely the culprit. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

PERFECT!! Thank you for posting this, I run Afterburner upon Startup so this is most likely the culprit. Many thanks.

:thumbup:

Let us know how it works out for you.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

:thumbup:

Let us know how it works out for you.

Absolutely, will do.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Didn't have a chance to look in to it tonight, was short on time. I won't have a chance to look into it until Wednesday night most likely...will report back then.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Didn't have a chance to look in to it tonight, was short on time. I won't have a chance to look into it until Wednesday night most likely...will report back then.

Look forward to hearing your report, hope it helps ya!

Don B

rolling back to the driver from September has fixed the stutters for me.

definitely an issue with this driver...

my evga superclocked does not like it. and the mi-8 hates it.

usually my rig stutters when my cooling gets dirty. but a quick clean out didn't fix it.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

definitely an issue with this driver...

my evga superclocked does not like it. and the mi-8 hates it.

usually my rig stutters when my cooling gets dirty. but a quick clean out didn't fix it.

Great, thank you - I am going to take a look tonight, first at dburne's solution and then at just rolling back (if the Power setting doesn't fix it). I haven't had a chance to mess with it just yet, been a busy week.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Which version is that? I'm running 382.53 and have no stutters whatsoever. My card is an EVGA GTX980.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Tried the MSI Afterburner setting tweak for power and thought it was working, but the stutters/freezes came back with authority this morning.

I used DDU and rolled back to 385.xx from Guru3D and I've been running well ever since.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having the annoying issue of Windows 10 auto updating their video card drivers? This is my 3rd time rolling back to older Nvidia drivers but to have windows update them automatically. I have Device Installation settings set to "No", but after awhile it still auto updates.:mad:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I use O&O Shut up to disable the auto updating.

However, every now and then with a w10 update some settings get reverted and then it auto updates the drivers at the same time. It's an unfortunate obnoxious MS idea :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

New Nvidia drivers update = warps, stutters and freezes on CV1?

Anyone else having the annoying issue of Windows 10 auto updating their video card drivers? This is my 3rd time rolling back to older Nvidia drivers but to have windows update them automatically. I have Device Installation settings set to "No", but after awhile it still auto updates.

This is what was happening to me (when I started this thread).

Took me 3 days of Windows auto-updating to 388.xx, unbeknownst to me, from the 385.xx driver I had rolled back to in order to "fix" the issues of 388.xx.

I finally figured it out and have been all set ever since. I didn't think to post it in here because I thought it was something I had screwed up in my Windows settings (a one off thing, not a standard Windows issue).

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Yep, me too. Thanks for figuring this out. I didn’t realize that the creators update turned auto update back on. Rolled back the drivers and In a 30 minute, heavy UI quick mission it only did it twice. never does it at all on a monitor so I’m not sure if this is normal. Is it?

It is still crashing to desktop when my plane is destroyed. I’m thinking this is not normal. Ideas?

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Yep, me too. Thanks for figuring this out. I didn’t realize that the creators update turned auto update back on. Rolled back the drivers and In a 30 minute, heavy UI quick mission it only did it twice. never does it at all on a monitor so I’m not sure if this is normal. Is it?

It is still crashing to desktop when my plane is destroyed. I’m thinking this is not normal. Ideas?

Try a clean and repair:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals