Odyssey vs rift/Vive pixel density

Thick8

Hi Spectre1986,

Thanks for your review!

This sounds promising, DCS support should only get better, it's great that it's working at all now.

I returned my CV1 quickly after the purchase (I didn't like the screen), and I'm currently building a simulator with triple monitors.

Maybe I won't have to wait for CV2 and get myself a new VR for Christmas :)

Do you have any pictures of lens close up, ideally when playing DCS?

I am debating between building a new computer (MR requires AVX) or returning the odyssey for a Rift. The portion of the video where he describes the text as much more visible in the Odyssey is the most telling for our DCS World issues. If it wasn't for needing a $1,000+ computer for the Odyssey I would definitely keep it. I am probably going to return it tonight and look for BF deals on the RIft.

some thoughts from reddit (mainly comparing with Vive):

Around 4:05. he compares Vive's "SteamVR" screen and said that it's more clear. But "doesn't jump out as clear, but it is more clear"

6:16 not much difference in the artwork on the wall

And on the reddit thread (thnx for that) someone mentioned "I have both. The Samsung is a huge leap up. Maybe not where I'm completely satisfied with the picture but at the point where the res and sde are completely excusable. With the Vive you're constantly reminded this is early adopter territory."

what to do, what to do.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

All this is based on subjective impressions. It is hard to tell but we need some testing in the way for example how this difference in specs which is obvious impact on our subjective feeling. My point is maybe on some use this difference is not that much visible but in some specific details could make huge difference like spotting enemies on horizon or be able to read instruments much better.

If you don't own VR than definitely is better to buy WMR today because difference is noticeable definitely but it is not that big worth to jump from CV1 or Vive to WMR. Owners of CV1/Vive should wait to see how things going on with Pimax8K which brings something completely new with much higher specs difference especially with potential.

I'm also mantion WMR because diference from Odyssey and rest of WMR is really minimal and it is questionable is it noticeable at all because how much display is cowered by lens because FOV is the same so no one still answer how big difference is 1600x1440 vs 1440x1440 and that is the only real difference between Odyssey and rest of the WMR's.

All this is based on subjective impressions. It is hard to tell but we need some testing in the way for example how this difference in specs which is obvious impact on our subjective feeling. My point is maybe on some use this difference is not that much visible but in some specific details could make huge difference like spotting enemies on horizon or be able to read instruments much better.

If you don't own VR than definitely is better to buy WMR today because difference is noticeable definitely but it is not that big worth to jump from CV1 or Vive to WMR. Owners of CV1/Vive should wait to see how things going on with Pimax8K which brings something completely new with much higher specs difference especially with potential.

I'm also mantion WMR because diference from Odyssey and rest of WMR is really minimal and it is questionable is it noticeable at all because how much display is cowered by lens because FOV is the same so no one still answer how big difference is 1600x1440 vs 1440x1440 and that is the only real difference between Odyssey and rest of the WMR's.

Pimax 8k yes, but the fov is so great that SDE is still there, but a great step forward in VR!

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yep but i think what simmers need is less SDE and the FOV isnt as important,as it will eat up resources up but the clarity when you look for targets or gauges will not be as good as it should. Another thing that bigger FOV will need some lenses that will sacrifice some clarity around centre anyway. I hope for some device with not overkill FOV and really sharp image in centre = Aka 4k screens in CV1. It is important as 1080ti cant really ahndle Rift for now in 2.0 ir barely does so.

Yep but i think what simmers need is less SDE and the FOV isnt as important,as it will eat up resources up but the clarity when you look for targets or gauges will not be as good as it should. Another thing that bigger FOV will need some lenses that will sacrifice some clarity around centre anyway. I hope for some device with not overkill FOV and really sharp image in centre = Aka 4k screens in CV1. It is important as 1080ti cant really ahndle Rift for now in 2.0 ir barely does so.

Agreed, I would take higher resolution/less SDE along with good performance over increased FOV any day.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

A very interesting review. I'm surprised the difference between the Vive and Odyssey wasn't more marked.

He's using content developed for Vive that has less detail as it would not show in the Vive anyways. I tested DCS using the Acer WMR headset and the resolution difference was striking. Acer display has low contrast so even if a object is visible by multiple pixels you tend to lose track of it because it just blends with the background too well. While you can see cockpit much better you still won't see bandits any better with it compared to Vive because of this but Odyssey could be different because of different display.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Agreed, I would take higher resolution/less SDE along with good performance over increased FOV any day.

What he said.

If I were to guess; I think that the 2K per eye OLED is next up to bat, while maintaining or slightly increasing FOV. Then the focus (pun intended) will be on lens development for a while before FOV and PPD see a significant rise. The big players are in this for the long haul so I wouldn’t expect them to jump product cycle theory.

Pimax is the outlier here but they really don’t have a dog in this hunt yet. The 4K was a flop and they have stated that they need more money to bring the 8K to market. I have seen dozens of promised start up VR products silently disappear with investor money over the last 2 decades the I am not very optimistic about Pimax.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Pimax is the outlier here but they really don’t have a dog in this hunt yet. The 4K was a flop and they have stated that they need more money to bring the 8K to market. I have seen dozens of promised start up VR products silently disappear with investor money over the last 2 decades the I am not very optimistic about Pimax.

My guess here, and it is just a guess, is that Pimax is hoping for a large buyout with all the attention they got in the Kickstarter and promises they have made.

It was reported earlier today Apple just purchased a smaller not so well known VR company for around 30 million, so doubt it will be them.

https://www.roadtovr.com/report-apple-acquired-vr-headset-startup-vrvana-for-30-million/

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR is so transformative for me that I thought I'd risk the KS support. I didn't know they were going to set the KS record for funding! LOL. We'll see. 4K unit fell flat, but here's to hoping the next HMD is a home run.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just have to say that it is such a pleasure to be able to come to the DCS forum and have thoughtful, polite, and intelligent discussions. Sometimes it seems that this is the last bastion of civility.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I would disagree on the field of view importance. I'm sick of twisting my neck and back to the extreme just to check my 6 through these swimming goggles. I'm in my early 30s so you older guys must be struggling with this too. IRL I only need to turn about 90 degrees to see my six. I feel it is equally important.

IRL pilots have helmets too. Any chance it also limits their field of view ?

Maybe they only have 110 degrees FOV ?

I am sure someone here knows the answer :-)

I always wondered about that. Back in the days, I wore CVCs when riding in M113's and Bradley's. I don't recall having any FOV issues, but it's not like I was mindful of it. :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

It looks like the F-15 helmet fits around the head with a very slim low profile design that ends just in front of the ear. The parts that make up the visor are entirely see through so they get their maximum natural FOV of ~190 degrees. Their vertical FOV does look a restricted a bit, but that is naturally smaller than your horizontal FOV (your eyes are both at the same heigh) anyway. https://youtu.be/sBqAbbFJph0. I believe the WWII ones were even less restrictive. Limiting your fighter pilot's FOV would be really stupid. I'm sure they can't lean forward and twist their backs as easily as I can in a computer chair.

Edited by Spectre1986

For me, the priority would be foveated view that works seamlessly. That would open up wider FoV, more resolution, etc.

But if I can't have that, it's a toss up between FoV and resolution. Maybe a nod for the former.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 weeks later...

RAF Alpha Helmet circa 2000 I can see the brow of the helmet looking up Just a little but no restriction left or right.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Awesome, thanks Windy. Is the helmet in your avatar the one you mentioned?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---