[REPORTED]MLWS not detecting Stinger/Igla missiles

Rex854Warrior

The MWS doesn't seem to detect ATGMs either at the moment, so perhaps that is related?

Last flights I've done I at least got warnings when friendly Apache's started firing AGM-114's.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, good news !

The bug has been fixed in the latest Open Alpha version 2.0.5 Update 2 :D

Thanks ED :)

Just tested it in the latest 2.0 update against an Igla. It is NOT fixed.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I just tested it in the latest release, and it seems fixed there at least. I have tested with these exact units :

- Russian Igla-S

- Georgian Stinger

- Georgian Igla

All gave a launch warning - track attached.

To be fair, though, the very first time I tried, against Igla-S, I didn't have a launch warning. But I don't expect this kind of system to be infallible.

MANPADS MWS.trk

Just tested it in the latest 2.0 update against an Igla. It is NOT fixed.

Sorry, didn't save the track :/ I just tested it on OpenAlpha 2.0.5 update 4 and the A-10Cs MLWS detected all incoming missiles (6, to be exact) from a Georgian Stinger (3 missiles), a Georgian Igla (2 missiles) and a Russian Igla-S (1 missile). I was head-on with them.

My guess is the Manpads shot you when they were in the deadzone of your MWS.

It's too late here, i'll get a track tomorow :)

Rex.

EDIT : Tested it on 1.5.6 update 1, all Manpads give a launch warning.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, didn't save the track :/ I just tested it on OpenAlpha 2.0.5 update 4 and the A-10Cs MLWS detected all incoming missiles (6, to be exact) from a Georgian Stinger (3 missiles), a Georgian Igla (2 missiles) and a Russian Igla-S (1 missile). I was head-on with them.

My guess is the Manpads shot you when they were in the deadzone of your MWS.

It's too late here, i'll get a track tomorow :)

Rex.

EDIT : Tested it on 1.5.6 update 1, all Manpads give a launch warning.

I'm quite familiar with the A-10 and it's dead zones. I've done several tests against Iglas, out of probably 24 missile launches I finally got one single warning from a head on shot. Keeping the wings pointed at the threat results in silence. Either something is still broken or the detection envelope was severely reduced on purpose. Just tested it in 1.5, same result. Alerts from head on and directly behind, can't get any alerts from the side.

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Intresting, I don't get the warnings from the side either, at least not all the time. I tested it with an Sa-13 to make sure it wasn't the sensors themselves and i got the warning every time (from the side).

So, Half fixed :/

I'll test with the Mirage MLWS.

EDIT : Every time a manpad shot at me in the Mirage (and the missiles was in the detection cone), regardless of the range, it was detected.

So it's probably an A-10 only issue.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well after all of this discussion, i'm not sure of anything. It's very confusing.

Did some tests with the A-10C on OpenAlpha 2.0.5 update 4, one Russian Igla-S and one Russian Igla-S Comm placed on Creech AFB (on Sand). I did them at variable altitudes, and with a particular wing pointing at the manpad each time.

Here are the results (link below)

If i remember well all missiles were detected and countered.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, i don't know. But for me it works fine, and if a few missiles don't get detected it's not a big problem, this system has flaws and it's extremely effective in DCS already.

I've rushed this reply so if something isn't clear, ask :).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7fxtHOhOqYLbnMtTjkyZEZaT0k/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Can confirm that this is STILL broken with the latest update including the deferred shading. I was doing a mission I built and I forgot I put an Igla down. I was flying straight and level in autopilot enjoying the view of some burning wrecks off my right wing.

Out of nowhere my left wing exploded. I flew back to base and landed. Debrief said an igla. I watched the track and sure enough. I was caught off guard. No warning or anything. In that same mission I got warnings from friendly mavericks.

So Igla and manpads are either broken or they are hard to detect. Either way you have so little reaction time.

• 5 months later...

Still broken. Played the Serpent's Head mission repeatedly on the weekend where Igla's are the main enemy air defense and never got a single launch indication. You have to be looking out the window and spot the few seconds of smoke for a launch to even have any idea a missile is inbound. Played 4 times, 0% Igla launch warning.

Also not sure about the ROF , it was not unusual in that mission to see multiple missiles in the air at once yet the Igla missile tube has to be reloaded for each shot notionally it appears in public info that is a 60 second task. Although infantry are a bit abstract on the ground so perhaps the unit is representing more than one launcher?

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into something along these lines last night whilst flying with a good friend of mine.

He had an Igla fired at him from nearly directly below him over the target area, and did not receive a launch warning.

I however, was 5 or 6 miles from the target area with my tail facing the target and DID receive a launch warning.

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a legitimate reason I got a launch warning and he did not, or if it was a bug.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread will be a year old tomorrow. This is still a problem. Here's a video showing failure to detect 3 Igla and 3 Stinger launches from the wingtip sensors. Latest version of 2.2.

I ran into something along these lines last night whilst flying with a good friend of mine.

He had an Igla fired at him from nearly directly below him over the target area, and did not receive a launch warning.

I however, was 5 or 6 miles from the target area with my tail facing the target and DID receive a launch warning.

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a legitimate reason I got a launch warning and he did not, or if it was a bug.

***This is normal. There are no sensors on the bottom of the plane, launches directly below you shouldn't trigger anything. The MWS seems to work against MANPADS decently on your nose or tail, it's not seeing launches off the wingtips.

***Maybe not, I had another look, and one of the sensors points straight down, I can't remember ever getting an alert from below the plane though, before the current problem we've been having.

FWIW, there's four sensors on the plane, one on each wingtip angled slightly forward, one on the tail pointing straight back, and one on the bottom of the tail pointing straight down.

Edited by Deezle

• 1 month later...

Still broken in 2.5.

• 3 weeks later...

Bueller?

• 10 months later...

Another year has gone by, this is still broken and no one is acknowledging it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Mine works sometimes. I don't think that the real-world MLWS is a catch-all, but its one of those systems that is a closely-guarded secret, and all anybody here can do is speculate as to what we think it "should" do. I fly in VR pretty much exclusively, and my best MLWS is the good old-fashioned Mk 1 Eyeball.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yeah, maybe you right. But here I'm talking about the status of this REPORTED ISSUE.

If something is REPORTED officially I think it's necessary to give reply to this. At the end it's how a normal trouble ticket management, or not?

Otherwise I need to know the exact meaning of REPORTED between customers and ED.

No complain or controversy, I'm just trying to understand. ;)

Thanks everybody.

• 1 year later...

This was supposedly [REPORTED] over 5 years ago. The problem still persists and it carried itself over to the A-10C II as well. Is ED ever going to acknowledge this? We understand the MLWS isn't perfect, that's fine, nothing is ever perfect, but right now (for the past 5+ years, actually) it hardly ever works (against MANPADS).

Another video.

Edited by Deezle
  • Like 4