[SPI RELATED]How do I use the Maverick?

jonsky7

I've also struggled trying to get the MAVs zeroed with the TGP.

Wags' video

walks through the process, however, he's clearly calibrating Mavericks in a jet that has been started from the air, so they're already calibrated ! Also, he's using a distant static object, placed in a clear area, with a steerpoint placed over it, so hardly a real world example.

For me, the logical place to perform the process, is during start up, in the 8 minute wait for the INS to align.

Grim Reapers have posted a tutorial on this -

which is most appreciated and implies that you need to enable "GND JETT (Ground Jettison)" to perform while on the ground.

As far as I can tell, the Maverick seems to only want to complete a target lock (and thus display the BSGT icon on the screen) if placed over a valid static object. So, wherever you spawn in your cold jet, there needs to be such an object, at a reasonable distance and within the Maverick's seeker azimuth. If no such object exists, I've found that if you switch the Maverick to "AREA", it will form crosshairs on any point in space.

So, I've found this sequence appears to work..

1. Go through start up procedures as normal, including setting INS to NORM and power up the TGP hardpoint

2. Set Master Arm to Simulate

3. Set GND JETT to enable

4. On the SMS page, power up the Mavericks and set mode to PRE

Wait about 3 mins for TGP and Mavericks to warm up

Bring up the TGP on one MFD and WPN on the other

5. On the TGP camera page, ensure handoff is set to MAN

6. The TGP will be pointing at currently selected Steerpoint, use RDR cursor control to slew it to the front of the jet and pick an object (or graphic like a taxiway sign if no static objects) as distant as you can find.

7. Switch to narrow FOV and centre the TGP cross hairs on the object

8. TMS up to form a point track (this also appears to attempt a handoff on the MAV screen, which I think is a bug in MAN mode but seems ok)

9. On the WPN screen, if the cross hairs are not in the centre of the TGP target, you need to calibrate. Set WPN page as SOI and slew the cross hairs over the object (set FOV to narrow for accuracy)

10. TMS up on the WPN page should lock and display the BSGT icon top left of the WPN screen. If it doesn't, try in AREA mode on the WPN page.

11. click the button next to BSGT, BSGT should flash briefly

12 TMS down to reject the target

13 select the Maverick on the opposite pylon (if present)

14 Make TGP SOI and repeat the TMS up command

15 Make WPN page SOI and repeat 9-12

Both Mavericks should now be zeroed with the TGP

Lots of steps but it does help while away the minutes waiting for INS alignment ;)

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Did a lot of work with the TGP and Mavericks lately (even though it is frustrating). While they boresight fine and sometimes even the handover works fully automatic, I have the following issues:

1) selector cursor sensitivity seems to be very different from the fire control radar. While I can slew ot nicely here, it is way to sensitive in the TGP and WPN screen. Or am I imagining things?

2) if it fly with Mavs only, boresight them, handoff etc works most of the time. However when I use the TGP also for dumb bombs to identify targets I get have the issue that the TGP HUD indicator and the actual line it looks do not align once I go back to Mavericks. In essense I lock up a target in the TGP, handover starts but I can see the HUD TGP indicator (square) on a completely different point (SP?) and the round maverick symbol over it. So somehow TGP video does not line up with TGP HUD and therefore the Maverick can not be aimed at all anymore.

Other strange thing that happened at the same time is that I would not get the Mavs out of pre mode. The pre text simply flashes when the button is pressed but does not change. Lock/unlock etc does not help either not does it help to put the tgp ijnto standby mode.

Bugs? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Did a lot of work with the TGP and Mavericks lately (even though it is frustrating). While they boresight fine and sometimes even the handover works fully automatic, I have the following issues:

1) selector cursor sensitivity seems to be very different from the fire control radar. While I can slew ot nicely here, it is way to sensitive in the TGP and WPN screen. Or am I imagining things?

2) if it fly with Mavs only, boresight them, handoff etc works most of the time. However when I use the TGP also for dumb bombs to identify targets I get have the issue that the TGP HUD indicator and the actual line it looks do not align once I go back to Mavericks. In essense I lock up a target in the TGP, handover starts but I can see the HUD TGP indicator (square) on a completely different point (SP?) and the round maverick symbol over it. So somehow TGP video does not line up with TGP HUD and therefore the Maverick can not be aimed at all anymore.

Other strange thing that happened at the same time is that I would not get the Mavs out of pre mode. The pre text simply flashes when the button is pressed but does not change. Lock/unlock etc does not help either not does it help to put the tgp ijnto standby mode.

Bugs? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

1. Agreed. I've tried all kinds of axis tune settings on the Warthog throttle mouse hat but still too sensitive, and setting too much of a curve just makes it too slow on the FCR. Ended up binding a 4 way hat on the stick which works fine.

2. Similar problems. Think I'm going to leave the Mavs alone until ED iron out the kinks (and complete the "SPI work"). It's not like there's a lack of other things I could be practicing ;)

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

To elaborate on my post I think you are correct that you can ripple 2 right away after the first 2 you would need mark points for the other's to slave quickly lock and fire. Sort of the same way they work in the A10 using mark points. Pretty sure you cannot select additional mav's on the same station as they are selected by the rack itself to prevent mav's hitting eachother coming off the rail.

Im not sure how your D's are following your TGP cause I can't even move my tgp in PRE mode until I TMS up which performs a handoff. After that doing a TMS Up shows hand off in progress but the seeker head doesn't move on the MAV. On some I have been able to get it to work by doing TMS up repeatedly until the seeker line's up. Other time's it just sits there. I've had it lock up a target then go after the original hand off point so something's not working right for sure. Technically though it shouldn't follow the TGP until they have been boresighted.

you can only ripple 2 Mav's when you have a single on each station. it doesnt work with the Lau-88 launcher rack.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

Issues I encountered so far:

- Mav prefer buildings over vehicles when trying to lock something, makes it very hard to attack something inside a city

- PRE mode doesn´t work for more than one attack, after that Pod and Mav dont align anymore

- AUTO handoff in PRE mode unreliable

- Turning on MAV screws up your navigation on your EHSI

- Slewcontrol of the Mav in VIS or BORE is way too sensitive

+1 exact same issues..... I'm just using VIS mode till the SPI is fixed can ripple 3 or 4 off in one attack easy......... ok maybe 3 :)

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

PRE mode doesn´t work for more than one attack, after that Pod and Mav dont align anymore

Maybe boresight BOTH pylons?

Seriously, I've been flying the DCS F-16 from day one, testing every beta update (because I used to be a BMS nerd), launched over 100 MAVs by now, no mods and I've never seen this. Where are the track files showing this issue? I haven't seen one yet.

I'm starting to wonder how many issues are coming from DCS and how much are coming from (a lack of) RT*M. Repeating what was said in Wag's tutorials is getting old.

Maybe boresight BOTH pylons?

Seriously, I've been flying the DCS F-16 from day one, testing every beta update (because I used to be a BMS nerd), launched over 100 MAVs by now, no mods and I've never seen this. Where are the track files showing this issue? I haven't seen one yet.

I'm starting to wonder how many issues are coming from DCS and how much are coming from (a lack of) RT*M. Repeating what was said in Wag's tutorials is getting old.

It's a widely reproducible bug affecting anything SPI related and ED have acknowledged it. Congrats on reading a early access manual. Maybe read the title while you're at it.

• 2 months later...

I messed around with mav D today. 

VIS mode: tms up and hold, slew to center (fpm). let go of tms, now the mav looks roughly at fpm. Point fpm at target and tms up and hold it. Then I slew and hopefully hit my mark and let go of tms. Mav is locked and pickle. 

I have no idea if this is the real way but in a pinch it works. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 2/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, macedk said:

I messed around with mav D today. 

VIS mode: tms up and hold, slew to center (fpm). let go of tms, now the mav looks roughly at fpm. Point fpm at target and tms up and hold it. Then I slew and hopefully hit my mark and let go of tms. Mav is locked and pickle. 

I have no idea if this is the real way but in a pinch it works. 

Why are you holding TMS while slewing?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

10 hours ago, Machalot said:

Why are you holding TMS while slewing?

To get the crosshair all the way to the center of the picture. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not necessary. The Maverick won't attempt track until TMS is pressed and released so it's fine to press-release TMS to ground the EO VIS box and then slew over target and then press-release TMS to command track. Certainly it's not helpful to press-and-hold for the initial EO VIS box to ground. There's no value there.

I can see it being slightly helpful to hold TMS while slewing because then you can react quickly to command track by simply releasing TMS instead of press-release which takes slightly longer.

On 9/24/2020 at 2:31 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Wags video may help some of you

thanks

Tried that, tried via, tried pre, tried bore. Only one I can get to work even half the time is via without tgp.

Trying to use pre and handing off to mav never ever works, ever, full stop.

Followed wags video to the letter, mac just will not lock to tgp hand off, within range, within gimbal, says handoff in progress then hangs without closing the cross hairs, does this every single time.

Sorry to be angry but simply putting post saying follow wags video condescending as that doesn't work either.

23/02/21 2.5.6 open beta

49 minutes ago, Stig said:

Tried that, tried via, tried pre, tried bore. Only one I can get to work even half the time is via without tgp.

Trying to use pre and handing off to mav never ever works, ever, full stop.

Followed wags video to the letter, mac just will not lock to tgp hand off, within range, within gimbal, says handoff in progress then hangs without closing the cross hairs, does this every single time.

Sorry to be angry but simply putting post saying follow wags video condescending as that doesn't work either.

23/02/21 2.5.6 open beta

One of the best ways to allow other people on these forums to help you is to post a track file showing your issue. Then people can spot which specific step you might be missing, or if your are in a bad configuration or bad conditions or something.   

• Like 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."