A-10C level flight speed never exceeds 300 kts

Gierasimov

Hi fellow flight simmers, I was wondering if you could post your comments to this.

When flying (sim mode) I can never go faster than around 300 kts (including no wind, clean setting, and 70% load). N2 is around 93% my throttles are at MAX (even used keyboard to make sure).:joystick:

I can't even do a "simple" loop not to mention other manoeuvres like Cuban 8.

Can you indicate anything that could resolve that, as some other posts mention 300 kts cruise speed, but fastest I can go in level flight is 280 kts. Not to mention top speed of 365 kts :book:.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Hi. What is your altitude when you look at your airspeed ? Don't forget that the Airspeed Indicator shows the Indicated Airspeed (IAS). Same thing on the HUD except if you do the proper changes into the Display Modes option on the IFFCC test Screen (i personaly put Airspeed of the HUD on TRUE).

Your Hog have a payload ??

I'll try it soon to see. The A-10 is a pretty slow aircraft anyway.

Quote From Fairchild Republic's Wiki page " It typically flies at a relatively low speed of 300 knots (350 mph; 560 km/h), which makes it a better platform for the ground-attack role than fast fighter-bombers, which often have difficulty targeting small, slow-moving targets.[6]"

Thanks canadianbaken, I am well aware of that, I was rather thinking something is wrong with my Hog.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Hi. What is your altitude when you look at your airspeed ? Don't forget that the Airspeed Indicator shows the Indicated Airspeed (IAS). Same thing on the HUD except if you do the proper changes into the Display Modes option on the IFFCC test Screen (i personaly put Airspeed of the HUD on TRUE).

Your Hog have a payload ??

I'll try it soon to see. The A-10 is a pretty slow aircraft anyway.

Hi mate,

Yep, I know there are different airspeed aspects, I was more on about my Hog flying to slow, however I did one more test and it actually proved me wrong. I was able to get to 345 knots at FL15, over the sea (grid FG/FH) without payload, fuel at 54% that gives approx. 70% total weight. 320KIAS allowed me to perform nice loop, haven't tried Cuban 8 though. Now, that I am assured that I can go near top speed I can focus on the art of flying.

BTW:

I used this as speed reference:

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/A10ThunderboltII/Pages/Specifications.aspx

Thanks a lot for chiming in mate.

Out.

I have no problems performing loops or cuban 8. What's important - watch your angle of attack gauge during then monoeuvre and keep it pointing third white area (near "20" value). If you increase your angle of attack more then you will bleed your energy very fast and you'll be unable to finish loop. If you'll keep it too low you'll also loose your speed and fail.

If you fly with payload - check it's drag index. Too high will also limit your max speed and performance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

--

"The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good shit.

A night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities to experience all three at the same time."

Thanks mate, I appreciate your comments. I was able to perform this without payload. Good points!

Are you guys talking about a half cuban 8 or a full one?

Manuel_108 I was talking about full Cuban 8, thanks.

Hi,

AIR FORCE AIRCRAFT DEMONSTRATIONS (A-10, F-15, F-16, F-22)

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a3_5/publication/afi11-246v1/afi11-246v1.pdf

Keep in mind that A-10s flying per that OI have a lot removed (pylons etc) and minimum fuel loaded to be able to perform the routine.

• 2 years later...

Top speed for me in the A10C is about 350, but playing in the SU27T Dogfight those A10s are not limited to 350, they turning at 700 + according to my wing shaking speeds of 750+ in the SU25T.. and they seem to be on my tail at all times ... what is that about ?

Are we to assume there are hot rod A10s on the enemy side ? Software glitch ?

What is the top speed we should expect from the A10C in the SIM?

Top speed for me in the A10C is about 350, but playing in the SU27T Dogfight those A10s are not limited to 350, they turning at 700 + according to my wing shaking speeds of 750+ in the SU25T.. and they seem to be on my tail at all times ... what is that about ?

Are we to assume there are hot rod A10s on the enemy side ? Software glitch ?

knots vs kmh

• 3 years later...
On 4/22/2018 at 8:08 PM, marcwoolery said:

I clocked her at 500KIAS (doing an unrealistic maneuver while trying to find her max).

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png