maverick missile lock on help

LtMacGowan

ive been playing a-10c for awhile and this issue has occasionally annoyed me but never enough to break down and ask about it until now. i'll be flying along and using the tgp and litening pod lock up some ground target like e.g. a t-72, then switch to the maverick missile lockup screen on the other mfcd and sometimes it ll lock up right away once i get within the 10 mile range limit, other times i'll practically fly right over the target and not get a lock on.

what factors determine how fast you get a lock? ground clutter? altitude? weather conditions?

i mean the last time i tried this i was targetting a ural truck right in the middle of an open field with absolutely nothing around it, and from 10 miles out repeatedly pressing the lock button i could not get it to lock the damn thing up so i could fire. so any tips on how to obtain faster locks would be appreciated.

btw ill lock the target up with the tgp on left mfcd, then switch to the right mfcd as soi and hit v to transfer the cross hairs to the target set as "point" on the tgp screen, and like i said sometimes soon as i cross 10 miles it ll turn into a solid cross hair and i can fire, other times ill fly right over the target pressing the lock button the entire time with no joy.

TMS FWD Short should lock onto the target if you have selected it on the TGP with TMS FWD Long and then, after switching to the MAV screen, CHINA HAT FWD Long.

You need to be within the range of the selected missile of course and within its gimble limits

• Like 1

i'm well aware of the procedure, however, some times the maverick will not lock on to the target before i get too close to fire. sometimes it locks up right away sometimes it does not. i was wondering if a higher altitude or AoA would be helpful

I use generally the AGM-65D, and I always "jiggle" the slew controls when the distance goes below 8 NM.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It depends on the seeker and the target contrast. Just recently someone tested locking ranges with the optically guided 65H and the time of day had a fairly huge impact as I recall it.

Generally speaking, the 65D will lock from further out and is much better suited at night/dusk/bad visibility, whereas in theory the 65H should work better on hot backgrounds (desert) where the IR guided versions would have a hard time seeing a contrasting target.

Ideally, if you can save two tracks, one with max locking range and one with a very short locking range, we could try and figure out the main difference.

ive been playing a-10c for awhile and this issue has occasionally annoyed me but never enough to break down and ask about it until now. i'll be flying along and using the tgp and litening pod lock up some ground target like e.g. a t-72, then switch to the maverick missile lockup screen on the other mfcd and sometimes it ll lock up right away once i get within the 10 mile range limit, other times i'll practically fly right over the target and not get a lock on.

what factors determine how fast you get a lock? ground clutter? altitude? weather conditions?

i mean the last time i tried this i was targetting a ural truck right in the middle of an open field with absolutely nothing around it, and from 10 miles out repeatedly pressing the lock button i could not get it to lock the damn thing up so i could fire. so any tips on how to obtain faster locks would be appreciated.

A related issue has been discussed at length and reported to ED by MadDog-IC.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204350

He did a wonderful job of listening to and supporting several customers troubleshooting the maverick issues. I was the OP. TL/DR.....ED knows about several problematic issues with the Maverick 65 H/K .

Edited by lasvideo

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

I'll chime in and also report that I have the exact same issue. As mentioned in other replies, the majority of the time I have to slew the MAV sensor to force it to lock on, though sometimes it doesn't work and I have to slave all to SPI once again and retry. Quite frustrating.