Rudder works without a tail.

BButcher94

Like the title says. I got over eager doing a gun run on a hostile and ended up taking my tail off (vertical stabilizer might be the correct term, I'm no expert). But to my surprise I was still able to use my rudder which enabled me to land without further damage :thumbup:.

I was going to attach the track but when I went back to watch it, it was completely different.

To reproduce, simply bugger up the tail and try using the rudders.

It might be working as intended, like I say I'm no expert, it just seems like it shouldn't work that way.

Like the title says. I got over eager doing a gun run on a hostile and ended up taking my tail off (vertical stabilizer might be the correct term, I'm no expert). But to my surprise I was still able to use my rudder which enabled me to land without further damage :thumbup:.

I was going to attach the track but when I went back to watch it, it was completely different.

To reproduce, simply bugger up the tail and try using the rudders.

It might be working as intended, like I say I'm no expert, it just seems like it shouldn't work that way.

The rudder has very little authority in determining aircraft direction. That is the job of the elevons. So if you lost the tail fin but have the wings intact, it is quite possible that you can still steer the aircraft.

But we will check and see how stable it should remain with the tail fin gone.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Rudder works even though shot out.

I got shot by a missile and the external view showed that my rudder had been shot out. However i was still able to use it and was flying stably.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD