Forgot to deactivate before CPU change - can I still deactivate?

Recently installed a new CPU (not motherboard). I realized I had forgotten to deactivate my DCS modules prior to doing the hardware swap.

Is there anyway to deactivate the modules now, then re-activate before launching the game so it validates the new hardware? Or am I out of luck?

Tried it with the A-10C. Ran the .exe for the DRM, tried to deactivate but it gave me an error saying that I need to activate or similar.

• ED Team

Hi

no way to do it now, easiest thing to do now is delete the registry entries and then reactivate.

registry fixes can be found here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/564/

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If you still have the older processor, put it back and deactivate.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi

no way to do it now, easiest thing to do now is delete the registry entries and then reactivate.

registry fixes can be found here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/564/

Two questions.

1) For the MIG-21 I opened the following registry area:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Leatherneck Simulations\DCS:MIG-21Bis

Do I delete the "DCS:MIG-21 BiS" folder or just the (Default) registry file?

2) Under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

I don't see an Eagle Dynamics or DCS folder for the rest of the modules. I do see them under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Eagle Dynamics

Do those modules only have registry files in that area or am I missing something?

If you still have the older processor, put it back and deactivate.

Not really worth it. You get quite a few to begin with, and you can *still* activate it once per month even if you run out.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Not really worth it. You get quite a few to begin with ...

I agree if it were, say, a change of motherboard, but a processor replacement isnt really a major change ... and some DLCs (like some Campaigns) only got three activations.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I agree if it were, say, a change of motherboard, but a processor replacement isnt really a major change ... and some DLCs (like some Campaigns) only got three activations.

I don't know about campaigns, but I figured they would follow the same as planes. Even if you start with 3 instead of 10. That is, after you run out, once a month, you get to reinstall. But I don't know the policy on campaigns. I ran through four or five once because of a MB issue, and I don't recall having any issues. But that was a while ago.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Not really worth it. You get quite a few to begin with, and you can *still* activate it once per month even if you run out.

Has that been tried?. If you run out of activations and still can activate once per month. Does it complies also for third party modules, or only for ED modules.

If that is true, one doesn't need to care about number of activations, because normally we don't format PC twice per month, or change hardware every month... :D

Edited by blokovchan
typo errors

Has that been tried?. If you run out of activations and still can activate once per month. Does it complies also for third party modules, or only for ED modules.

I have not, personally, reached that point. However, over the years, there have been numerous posts that indicate that it works as specified. It applies to all modules using the 'old' Starforce activation system, both ED and third party sourced products.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: