I Feel Slow...

Jetguy06

So, I was giving a friend of mine a general rundown of some modern military aircraft, and all of a sudden, a pattern emerged...

NATO names for Russian aircraft all start with the letter of the type of aircraft they are...

Fighter/Attack types all start with 'F'. 'F' for "Fighter."

Fagot, Fantail, Farmer, Fargo, Fencer, Flanker, Fresco, Fulcrum, Fishbed, Fitter, Flogger, Foxbat, Foxhound, Frogfoot, etc.

'B' for "Bomber."

Bear, Blinder, Backfire, Blackjack, etc.

Even helicopters!! 'H' for "Helicopter."

Hind, Hip, Hokum, Havoc, etc.

And then it all made sense why... So if someone says the name of an aircraft on the radio, the type of aircraft is in the name... oh wow!!

I'm 28 years old, have been a military aviation enthusiast since I was in diapers, and yet was never taught this tidbit of info, and didn't catch on until a few days ago.

Jeez, I feel slow...

Yes, but F stands for a fighter. A is for attack.

A-10, F/A-18, A-8, A-4....

UH as utility helicopter

AH attack helicopter

Not the problem is that is very limiting really.

A Su-34 is as capable bomber as it is a fighter.

A Su-27 is capable bomber but primarily a long range fighter.

A Su-24 is a strike fighter.

The Soviet designed all their aircrafts to be somewhat capable to do all basic tasks. Like Su-25 carries R-60/R-73 air to air missiles and is similarly capable as F-5 is. Yet it is mainly a attack aircraft.

There are different things why I dislike NATO designations as they try to put a square block trough a round hole.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The key is primary roles. A primary fighter - F. A primary bomber - B. A thing with bits that spin round on top - H.

Of course it's over simplified, but how else would you suggest they did things? They're just code names, not in-depth surveys of capabilities.

If you want to go further, then all NATO codenames for Russian air-to-air missiles begin with A (Archer, Aphid...), surface-to-surface missiles begin with S (Sunburn, Shipwreck, Spigot) and SAM systems begin with G (Gainful, Gadfly). It's as almost as someone thought this through. :D

Yes, but F stands for a fighter. A is for attack.

A-10, F/A-18, A-8, A-4....

UH as utility helicopter

AH attack helicopter

Not the problem is that is very limiting really.

A Su-34 is as capable bomber as it is a fighter.

A Su-27 is capable bomber but primarily a long range fighter.

A Su-24 is a strike fighter.

The Soviet designed all their aircrafts to be somewhat capable to do all basic tasks. Like Su-25 carries R-60/R-73 air to air missiles and is similarly capable as F-5 is. Yet it is mainly a attack aircraft.

There are different things why I dislike NATO designations as they try to put a square block trough a round hole.

Yes, but the NATO reporting names I mentioned are only for non-NATO aircraft, i.e. Soviet, Russian, and Chinese aircraft. NATO aircraft are still known by their official names; Thunderbolt, Hornet, Crusader, Skyhawk, etc.

If you want to go further, then all NATO codenames for Russian air-to-air missiles begin with A (Archer, Aphid...), surface-to-surface missiles begin with S (Sunburn, Shipwreck, Spigot) and SAM systems begin with G (Gainful, Gadfly). It's as almost as someone thought this through. :D

I didn't pick up on those patterns until I started looking up all this "new" info online. Great stuff!! Indeed, someone was using their noodle.