A-A Tutorial Bugged (wrong missile type)

Sylosis

Hi,

I'm new to the Mig21bis. I was mostly flying the F-5 and the Mirage up to now. So I'm doing the tutorials one by one.

In order to do them, I turn the tags on, for the sake of just concentrating on learning the airplane.

So I was doing the AA Missile tutorial and was having issues. The first part is about radar missiles. So I followed everything right, but... I wasn't able to release the missiles. Therefore, I got closer to my targets, thinking I was just too far. But then, it wasn't making sense that I couldn't shoot a radar guided missile at 5 nm.

I turned the plane to have it perfectly aligned with my target. Then... I heard a tone, like for an IR missile. Was a bit surprised, but I shot my missile nonetheless. The missile that got shot was an R-3R (as seen on its tag). This is an IR missile right???

So, first bug would be that the plane doesn't have any radar missile, though I'm supposed to do the tutorial for it.

Second, why did it shoot them missile eventhough I had the selector switch set to "Radar missile" and not "IR Missile", as required in the tutorial...? Moreover, I had the correct pylon selected also.

Finally, looking at the plane from the outside using F2, it really seemed like the outer pylons had radar missiles, from their looks....

I'm really confused.

Oh and as additional info. I decided to just shoot all my missiles and they were all IR missiles, again, from their tags after they launched.

Edited by Sylosis

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

R-3R is a radar guided missile (SARH).

The weapons selector has changed since release, to better match how the real one works, and it only sets launch priority.

Ok, I think I got confused between R-13 and R-3R...

So not a bug then, just me being wrong.

But then, another question if you don't mind, why did I need some kind of tone, and align my target to my reticle, to be able to shoot? I mean, looking at youtube videos, I was expecting the lines on my radar to "separate" from the bird, until I get the "in range" sort of signal. But I wasn't getting that. My radar was pretty fixed, nothing was moving (the target was locked of course).

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

I mean, looking at youtube videos, I was expecting the lines on my radar to "separate" from the bird, until I get the "in range" sort of signal.

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to be, if the target is locked and you're closing in.

All the missiles produce a sort of tone, IR and radar alike.

The radar might look like ___/\___ _/\_ ___/\____

The spread of the left and right upward marks represents the range to target. As range decreases the marks will approach the center mark. The center mark is the target and if it is not directly ahead and depending on the range it's possible to not see the left, right, or both range marks.

The "gap" where there is no baseline represents the permissible shooting distances. The beginning of the gap closest to the edge of the display is the maximum range while the limit of the gap nearest the center mark is minimum range. The shoot light should illuminate when the range marks are in the gap (also in real airplane if current G is below launch limit for that missile).

The missile priority switch (CC-NEUT-SAR) only expresses a shooting order preference. All missiles will be fired of all types in any of the three settings. For CC position IR missiles will be fired first and SAR radar first before beginning firing of the non-priority type. In NEUT position there is no priority and missiles fire according to station number in some pattern.

5nm (9km) is slightly too far to shoot especially in tail chase situations.