J11, R77, TWS

DeltaMike

I get the feeling TWS doesn't do much for you if you have datalink. Yes? No?

Does the R77 require STT to fire? (ie, I can put the TDC gate on a target and it should follow it, but I have to go to STT to actually get a firing solution?)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I get the feeling TWS doesn't do much for you if you have datalink. Yes? No?

Does the R77 require STT to fire? (ie, I can put the TDC gate on a target and it should follow it, but I have to go to STT to actually get a firing solution?)

Depends. TWS has it's uses. I can't remember now if Russian TWS provides any lock warning for Western RWR systems, but if you have a target 'bugged' it will automatically drop in to STT at around (IIRC) 85% of Rmax, so in theory as soon as the radar enters STT you should be in a position to fire.

With the R-77 you do need STT to fire, and you must maintain STT until the missile is 15Km away from the intended target, at which point it will go pitbull and will not require any further guidance from the launch aircraft. When it reaches the 15Km mark is not reported however, so you will have to do some educated time of flight guesswork.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Bear in mind that this is not a limitation of the R-77, but the modeling of the J-11.

In the MiG-29S you can TWS lock up to two targets and fire withut switching to STT

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Even the MiG-29S TWS2 still gives STT warnings and STT launch warnings before the missile goes active. By my understanding, at least the early N001 variants (Su-27S/SK) can only use the R-77 due to some kind of "cheat" in their programming and are not able to properly guide it in TWS like the DCS F-15C. At least that is close what Deka Ironworks said in one of their posts.