What are the tutorials like for a new starter?

deadbert

Hi all

So I've recently decided to take the plunge into DCS. I have very limited flight sim experience (played LOMAC for a while when it first came out) so I'm more or less a total novice.

My current plan is to fly the YAK 52 to relearn the basics of flight, progress to the SU25 to learn some application of weapon systems (using something like Robert Sogomonians excellent video series) before moving onto (probably) the F-18 much further in the future. I'm aware it'll be a long journey but that's the fun!

So my questions are:

1. What are the in game tutorials for the YAK like? Enough to get up and running along with Chucks guide?

2. Can anyone please post a list of the in game tutorials?

3. Are there any other video tutorials out there? Doesn't seem to be too much available for the YAK in comparison to SU-25 for example.

4. Does my approach make sense or would anyone offer different advice to get started?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

The Yak is the youngest DCS module and still in early access, so it is very much lacking in content at the moment.

There are 3 basic training missions available now:

1) Cold start

2) Taxi and takeoff

3) Landing

These are well made and will get you in the air together with the manual or Chuck's guide, but don't expect anything more in depth at this time.

IMO your approach makes very much sense in theory and if you really want to start with a prop plane then by all means go for the Yak. It is by far the most managable of the props in DCS.

If you are looking for a more complete and in depth training experience you might want to consider the L-39. It is very easy to handle, flies great and there is more content available, inclunding a very detailed DLC training campaign (Kursant).

Also both mentioned planes have dual cockpit multiplayer funtionality and it's really fun and effective to learn new stuff together with other people. So if you know someone that flies DCS, go for it. And if you don't, there are plenty of guys in the community willing to help. Just ask.

Have fun and see you in the skies!

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Thank you for the reply, that's very helpful.

I may go straight to the Albatros in that case. I don't mind buying modules but I don't want to run out of YAK content in a single weekend!

Do you have a link for the DLC training campaign? Sorry, I'm not sure where to find things yet!

Chris

4. Does my approach make sense or would anyone offer different advice to get started?

I'd start off with the free Su-25T, as it covers the basics and lets you learn DCS's strengths and weaknesses without any initial expense.

If you are considering the YAK-52, the TF-52D Mustang might be a better alternative for similar reasons and it makes a good aerobatic trainer. P-51D youtube videos and Chuck's guide work well for the TF-52D.

Once you've learn't/refreshed the basics in the Su-25T/TF-52D - then it's time to choose, your first module.

The L-39 is an excellent module (I have lots of hours in it due to MP coop training) but like the YAK-52 it has a limited set of default missions, so being prepared to create your own goals and challenges using the mission editor is a must IMHO.

When finally picking a 'full' module to learn, I'd pick an aircraft, ops and era that most interests you i.e. it's quite possible to start with the DCS Hornet and use CNATRA T-45 Goshawk training materials.

If your final goal is to fly the Hornet, I'd probably give the L-39 a miss and go straight to that, learning the individual systems one by one and setting intermediate training goals.

Due to the difficulty in spotting targets/enemies visually in DCS, aircraft that include Modern (4 bar) Radar, RWR, A2G Targeting pods, etc. work the best longevity/combat effectiveness.

For older or less capable aircraft like the L-39, there are work arounds like the CTLD script, that allows easy target marking with smoke, etc. but it's something to be aware of for WWII birds, etc. and is it's own challenge.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

TF-51 is free and well made. It shows how a full-detail module will be. Su-25T or other FC3 airplanes will not be that representative of the typical DCS high fidelity module. I'm sure the Yak is fine too, especially for basic flight. Going straight to a fast complex jet will require more patience and clarity to work and see beyond all the features and gizmos. This is fine if it's not overwhelming.

What to do depends on what you want to accomplish and to what degree of detail. Blow up tanks? Shoot down bandits? Fly formation? There is no one instruction series that fits exactly what you want to accomplish. You'll need to understand which building blocks of skills build into the capabilities you want and pursue them at your own direction.

These are excellent document sources that should take you far.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs-pat-pubs.asp

If, you are interested in the F-15, which I would recommend prior to jumping to the Hornet, as it is a slighter step in the A/A arena for DCS and not quite as complex. Here's a series I created that may help your transition. Even, if you jump directly to the Hornet, not bad a lot of the info can be used in all aircraft. Cheers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

I would recommend the Yak to someone with no experience in flight sims at all. It is very easy to fly, my 9 year old landed it on her first try. But since you played LOMAC, you should be fine with the free Su-25T and then just get whatever you find most interesting. The L-39, both Korean jets, the F-5E are good first full fidelity modules. The systems aren't too overwhelming. The helos and ww2 planes are tricky to fly and the modern jets have complex systems requiring a lot of learning.