"Lifting"a disply off a monitor

Mr_Burns

Hey does anyone have any experience in what I am trying to explain as "lifting" a display off of a flat panel monitor.

For example, If I were using a TFT for the MFDs but the HUD was say 10cm higher than the MFD screen, could you use mirrors or something to project that part of the screen againts the HUD face.

Umm, like the EFA HUD:

4397907362_c2626c12d6.jpg

Imagine I am using a 22" monitor to sit behind the MHDDs, but for that screen on the HUD I need the picure to by higher than the screen (but need to use the same screen).

Any ideas - I was thinking like a solid block of perspex or something??? May have to be mirrors??

Thanks

I tried clear acrylic to "lift" image (resessed ADI and HSI that i brought forward) and it mostly worked, but there was 0 angle between. in your case I'm not sure what optical distortions a prismic block might introduce . I'm also not sure where one would get such block.

Perhaps the solution is just another small 4-7in monitor instaled angled?

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

When I get to that point I plan on experimenting with a Freznel lens. I uses to use one to make the old 21" CRT monitor bigger. It had the effect of "raising" the screen to the plane of the lens. You would need one where the focal length of the lens matches the distance of the lens form the monitor. To get an idea of what I'm talking about, go get on of those cheap full page magnifying lenses from Office Depot. Look thru it at your monitor and move it toward and away from the monitor until you get it focused. If you like the concept then find one of the denser more expensive ones with the correct focal length. Then post your findings here so I don't have to do the legwork...

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I did have a mini 4"monitor running through a VGA converter but with 3 screens already Im starting to run out of AV ports.

I might end up there as am thinking about getting a projector.

Wish those lilliput monitors would reduce in price or the chinese would start to make small USB monitors for cheap!

I read here that those USB monitors can have significant impact on frame rates, so i'm not looking into those.

instead i am thinking more in line of either second vid card (wonder how load will be shared), or possibly running Helios and MIP from second networked PC. Gremlin and whartsell were working on software to send a viewport over network, i think it worked ok, will be looking deeper into that once i start working on my pit.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

There is an old overhead projector in a cupboard at work, even though noone wants it I will still have to risk my job and steal it. They wont sell it, health and safety and all that...

Is that a Fresnel lense? I was also thinking of using it to make a real HUD.

I read here that those USB monitors can have significant impact on frame rates, so i'm not looking into those.

instead i am thinking more in line of either second vid card (wonder how load will be shared), or possibly running Helios and MIP from second networked PC. Gremlin and whartsell were working on software to send a viewport over network, i think it worked ok, will be looking deeper into that once i start working on my pit.

Dont know but I am running a 16"display and its not affecting my already poor framerate:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=6473

There is an old overhead projector in a cupboard at work, even though noone wants it I will still have to risk my job and steal it. They wont sell it, health and safety and all that...

Is that a Fresnel lense? I was also thinking of using it to make a real HUD.

You don't need a projector to make a HUD.

All you need is a small monitor, a mirror, a piece of glass and a lens.

A projector is way to bright for this, you may blind yourself.

Here you can find some info about how to build one: DIY Head up displays

simhud2.jpg

Edited by Joe Kurr
Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

The only problem you are left with is that due to the thickness of the glas you have a "double image on your hud"

Any ideas to cover this?

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

The first surface mirror eliminates the double image as the reflective surface is on the front of the glass. It works quite well if you don't mind the expense. Also, the focus is not infinite so if you move your head you're alignment to the target is off.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

The first surface mirror eliminates the double image as the reflective surface is on the front of the glass. It works quite well if you don't mind the expense. Also, the focus is not infinite so if you move your head you're alignment to the target is off.

If you can place the focus over your main screen, I don't think this will affect alignment much.

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

If you can place the focus over your main screen, I don't think this will affect alignment much.

If it were a real HUD then you would be correct because of the way the glass is made. It has a lineir focus kind if like looking in a fish tank from an angle. No matter where you look from the perspective does not change. A semi reflective piece of glass does not have this quality.

John

Real HUD glass here: https://www.bpbsurplus.com/xcart/Heads-up-display-large.html

, even with shipping quite affordable to try out. They also have the second small glass portion (anyone can enlighten me as to why it is needed?)

And sorry , it seems that I snagged the last piece of the HUD lens assembly

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Dual-pane HUDs like the ones in the F/A-18, F-15 are "holographic" HUDs. The two combiner panes are coated differently and reflect two different frequencies of light. Here's a diagram of how that works.

dual_combiner_hud.gif

Using a real, collimated HUD in a DIY cockpit will cost you a pile and give you a headache. :) A real HUD is "focused" to infinity, so if you've got one in front of your projected display, your eyes will constantly be changing focus between the HUD symbology and the projected image.

That being said, you CAN build a working HUD that uses a single combiner pane. You'll need a first surface mirror to bounce the symbology image up through a lens and that'll strike a partially silvered first surface mirror that you can view the symbology in that. Your combiner glass will simply be something similar to what Teleprompters use. If you head over here: http://www.firstsurfacemirrors.com you can get both the first surface acrylic mirror and partially reflective, first surface combiner "glass". Follow Mike's advice on your choice of output lens.

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.