P38L

A10Yoda

On 4/2/2021 at 8:26 PM, Chinaski said:

P-38 is the last main figther which is not yet planned for the 44 European theater. We talk a lot about the priority between 262 vs the Hellcat , but the P-38 would perfectly fit Channel, normandy and the pacific map.

I really think P-38 should be a priority for ED.

Griffon Spit XIV, Tempest, Typhoon? 

Edited by Mogster

On 1/15/2020 at 5:05 AM, A10Yoda said:

With Bong and the P38L being one of the most decorated aircraft of WWII, why hasn't this aircraft been modeled yet?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I’d love to see the P38 in DCS, and would certainly purchase one...

But there is some proper nonsense up there ^^

Almost funny 😆 

I would rather a P-38J-15.  It fits Normandy, there were quite a number of Lightnings in the skies at that time.  We already have a Normandy map, why not complete a plane/map set first
P38J15_JUL_1944_E6Y_CARDONVILLE_CAPTAIN_

• Like 4

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

There's plenty of time for the pacific.  there is need for the p38 in the ETO. DCS should alter their focus  and complete the USAAF fighter roster to include the Lightning!! The twin would be awesome and as you say the p38 does well in the pacific with its extremely long range for the Yamamoto mission as well as the missions in the New Guinea-Solomons theater of operations. Lets get loud with this one!!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 12:45 AM, Magic Zach said:

I would rather a P-38J-15.  It fits Normandy, there were quite a number of Lightnings in the skies at that time.  We already have a Normandy map, why not complete a plane/map set first
P38J15_JUL_1944_E6Y_CARDONVILLE_CAPTAIN_

I too think that it is better to focus the planes roster around Normandy. Regarding the P-38, I think the relevant model for Normandy is probably the H. AFAIK, P-38J was introduced a short time later around September 44(?), so may qualify?. I am not a great P-38 expert though.

Other allied aircraft: A20, Spit XIV, Typhoon.

Other Axis aircraft: 109G6 (some late sub variant), 190A5-7(?), JU-88 attack variant.

Edited by Bozon

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

4 hours ago, Bozon said:

I too think that it is better to focus the planes roster around Normandy. Regarding the P-38, I think the relevant model for Normandy is probably the H. AFAIK, P-38J was introduced a short time later around September 44(?), so may qualify?. I am not a great P-38 expert though.

Other allied aircraft: A20, Spit XIV, Typhoon.

Other Axis aircraft: 109G6 (some late sub variant), 190A5-7(?), JU-88 attack variant.

Negative. The J models were introduced into the ETO in the late winter of 1943. By the time of D-Day, J-models were the only used on operations.

The Normandy variants should not have the dive flaps however, these did not start appearing till late summer of 1944.

• Thanks 1

Hard to tell, because the "giveaway" leading-edge (non-retractable) landing-light might have been retrofitted to the J-25 (and maybe earlier blocks, too). Looks like the 9th AF mostly flew hand-down retrofitted J airframes with the boosted aileron and dive-flap mods.

The 474th FG (9th AF) was the only Fighter Group that flew P-38s through to VE Day.

The 367th and 370th FGs (both 9th AF) transitioned to P-47s and P-51s respectively in early 1945.

The last 8th AF unit (479th FG) handed theirs in for P-51s in October '44.

There might have been a couple of Ls in the units that flew the Lightning in 1945. There supposedly were some in the MTO (starting to come in during August '44).

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 2 weeks later...

Would buy a P-38 in a blink of an eye,and as others have stated,we need it to fulfil the classics line up......bring it on.....PLEASE 👍

Edited by Basco1
  • Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

On 4/2/2021 at 12:26 PM, Chinaski said:

P-38 is the last main figther which is not yet planned for the 44 European theater. We talk a lot about the priority between 262 vs the Hellcat , but the P-38 would perfectly fit Channel, normandy and the pacific map.

I really think P-38 should be a priority for ED.

+1

• 1 year later...