keep geting to set guardian oculus rift2

pete_auau

Hi all any one having this issues at all after the last update of the rifts, after about 10 or so minutes of flying in a mission i get the message not in play area etc where i have to reset my guardian every 2 or so minutes quite annoying. Have no issues using the games within oculus rift. Might try p3dv4 to see if i can get past the 10 or so minutes to see if its only related to dcs

EDIT

Ok found out my issues is only related to the dcs went to p3dv4 and had no issues at all ?

Edited by pete_auau

Ok found out my issues is only related to the dcs

And what did you do about it?

Because i'm having the same issue since Oculus software updated itself to 19.0

For me it happens when switching games. It can be fine in one session, i get out of it, back to desktop, switch say like from Open Beta to Stable, load it up again and when i arrive in the hanger... bang... Oculus ask to set up Guardian (need to put a battery in the controller then, accept the message, reset view (it's always a bit to the side when it happens), set the ground level, skip the rest and hop, i'm back in bussiness).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

And what did you do about it?

Because i'm having the same issue since Oculus software updated itself to 19.0

For me it happens when switching games. It can be fine in one session, i get out of it, back to desktop, switch say like from Open Beta to Stable, load it up again and when i arrive in the hanger... bang... Oculus ask to set up Guardian (need to put a battery in the controller then, accept the message, reset view (it's always a bit to the side when it happens), set the ground level, skip the rest and hop, i'm back in bussiness).

no still have the same issues only doest work with dcs it works with all other apps eg p3dv4, i sent the logs etc to oculu support they found no issues since they put me on the beta version for testing purposes. They suggested its on the dcs side of things maybe since iam on the non stable version is the reason might try switching to stable to see if that fixes the issues.

Are you on stable version of dcs

some thing managed to turn off my garden a month a go i keeped it off

i dont think you need it to play a game like DCS where your siting down and not moving around now i would not play beatsaber with out turning it back on but is it not having the guardian sys keeping you form enjoying DCS?

i dont think you need it to play a game like DCS where your siting down and not moving around now i would not play beatsaber with out turning it back on but is it not having the guardian sys keeping you form enjoying DCS?

how did you manged to do that i do and i still get the message

Are you on stable version of dcs

Both but my stable is the previous version still because the MFD's look better (are a bit sharper) then the current OB version.

It happened yesterday when switching between OB and stable (in that order). The moment stable was loaded and i pressed the reset view button on my stick, it jumped to the Guardian setup.

I don't set it up completely, just the ground level and i skip the rest. But i never got it that far that i can keep it off completely.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

how did you manged to do that i do and i still get the message

not sure how or why it happens i think i was playing subnautica in VR then i got a pop up saying there is a problem with the guardian sys and the fence now never appears and i only been playing seated game i just did not bother to reset it there is an option to just turn it off if you want

not sure how or why it happens i think i was playing subnautica in VR then i got a pop up saying there is a problem with the guardian sys and the fence now never appears and i only been playing seated game i just did not bother to reset it there is an option to just turn it off if you want

thx for that when i first installed the vr i did notice the option for seated but now i cant find that option after the re install of oculus

I don't think there is (was?) such an option. Just (re)set the view in front of you and then you can skip the rest of the Guardian.

Thank goodness I'm not alone!

This issue has been plaguing me for over a week now, and I couldn't tell if it was either the Oculus update to 19.0 or if it was DCS 2.5.6.52437 Open Beta.

It's completely unplayable in missions during night time or dawn/dusk conditions, as the guardian notice pops up frequently, kicking me in to passthrough with the notice "play area not found." I found that I get frequent studders as well, which throws the view outside of the cockpit. Often enough, when these studders happen, it'll give me the issue again where I'm kicked out into passthrough to set up guardian again.

I just tested the exact same mission, but set the time at 0800hrs, and it only kicked me into passthrough once, then it was fine.

The only solution for myselt at the moment is to only play missions that are set during the day.

Edited by Adrian858

Corsair Vengeance C-70 (OD), EVGA Z370 FTW, i7-8700k, Noctua NH-D15, RTX 4070ti TUF OC, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB & 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB , WD Black 4TB Perf HDD - 7200 RPM SuperNOVA 750W P2 Modular, ASUS ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440
TM Warthog, TM F/A-18C Grip, Virpil CM3 Base, Virpil Control Panel 1, TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, WinWing Take Off Panel, Cougar MFD's, TekCreations F/A-18C Master Arm, Koolertron Keypad, Meta Quest 3
A-10C/II - AH-64D - AV-8B - F-5E - F-14 - F-15E -  F-16C - F/A-18C - P-51D - Bf-109K4 - FC3 - UH-1H - Combined Arms - Super Carrier

Nevada - Normandy - Persian Gulf - Sinai - Syria

Do you have games that need Guardian?

If not should be able to rerun setup and skip guardian boundaries.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thank goodness I'm not alone!

This issue has been plaguing me for over a week now, and I couldn't tell if it was either the Oculus update to 19.0 or if it was DCS 2.5.6.52437 Open Beta.

It's completely unplayable in missions during night time or dawn/dusk conditions, as the guardian notice pops up frequently, kicking me in to passthrough with the notice "play area not found." I found that I get frequent studders as well, which throws the view outside of the cockpit. Often enough, when these studders happen, it'll give me the issue again where I'm kicked out into passthrough to set up guardian again.

I just tested the exact same mission, but set the time at 0800hrs, and it only kicked me into passthrough once, then it was fine.

The only solution for myselt at the moment is to only play missions that are set during the day.

iam not so lucky i can only last 30 minutes before it happens, even uninstalled dcs and reinstalled the stable version still same issues, might try your suggestion at 0800 but not really a solution since oculu needs to bring out a update where you can disable the stupid guardian pop up messgae. Although the starnge part i got no issues using it with p3dv4 flight sim is the strange part

Edit the cause of it is the latest update from oculus since i had no issues with the previous version. So story is if it ant broken dont update :)

Edited by pete_auau

Do you have games that need Guardian?

If not should be able to rerun setup and skip guardian boundaries.

only happens with dcs not any other games, the issues is that you can set it off in the app but the actual thing is running in the bacground for some reason it pops up saying not in playing area in dcs

Well, had it again happening just now. Took the F-86 for a spin when i noticed trim didn't work. So i exited DCS, looked at the problem in TARGET, made a correction, fired up DCS again, choose the mission and the moment i entered the cockpit, Guardian felt the need to roar it's ugly head.

Always happens at the same moment, 2nd time around in the sim entering the cockpit. Skipped the setup once more, once done i got teleported back into the cockpit.

Could it be that the Rift S looses track (there was however more then enough light)?

Well, had it again happening just now. Took the F-86 for a spin when i noticed trim didn't work. So i exited DCS, looked at the problem in TARGET, made a correction, fired up DCS again, choose the mission and the moment i entered the cockpit, Guardian felt the need to roar it's ugly head.

Always happens at the same moment, 2nd time around in the sim entering the cockpit. Skipped the setup once more, once done i got teleported back into the cockpit.

Could it be that the Rift S looses track (there was however more then enough light)?

I would say something odd is going on.

I have yet to see this issue with guardian in my Rift S and have been using it well over a year now.

And my room is not lit brightly, it has light but more on the dim side than bright side.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would say something odd is going on.

I have yet to see this issue with guardian in my Rift S and have been using it well over a year now.

And my room is not lit brightly, it has light but more on the dim side than bright side.

Be interesting to see what settings you have since i have tried about every setting in the oculus gui settings, had guardian turned off, etc had tried different light settings, so must be a setting in dcs that i havnt changed yet

As i said previously it has to be on the dcs side of things since i have been testing it on the other flight sim and have no issues, only when i use dcs it happens.

i have changed lights removed pictures from walls etc

Edit for other users that having this issues with me it happens at the same time every time, with me its around 25 minutes or so i can set a stop watch to it :)

Edited by pete_auau

I had it happening when i used Guardian for another purpose, like for showing people how things worked. I then let them setup Guardian in my living room (the cable is just long enough) and when i then came back to my desk for flying, things would be off and Guardian would roar it's ugly head once. Just a little reset of the start view, set ground level (i might skip that the next time), skip the fence and then i was good.

Since 19.0 it wants to set up Guardian again on an irregular basis, but when it happens it "always" happens when i re-launch DCS a second time and on the moment i enter the cockpit which means that if i try now, i'm not 100% certain it will ask to set up Guardian so i can't set a clock on it. I don't know about other games, i only use it for DCS at the moment (i have IL-2 and X-Plane but it's been a while since i payed a visit and since FS2020 will not have VR support from the start i can't test it there either).

Then the connection issue: after updating to 19.0 i did not have any connection issue (USB) for about 10 days and i had something like "did they solved it?" but then it happened again, one Oculus service down/up cycle through OTT solves this most of the time but 2 days ago it would not. Tried about 5 cycles, no joy, then booted the PC, no joy, cycled the service again, no joy, shut down the PC, waited a bit (went to the toilet) and fired it up again, no joy, still no connection. In the end i pulled the USB plug, plugged it back in, no connection, used another USB port, still no luck, plugged it back into the first one and voilà, all green.

Edited by Lange_666

As a test i skipped Guardian totally (it did not ask to set it up again, i just forced it), which means i didn't set a ground level this time.

A bit weird now since you have your chin on the white floor now with the dashboard at eye level (that's the default floor height) just above the floor which makes the home view only partial visible, the bottom part sits under the floor level now.

As a test i skipped Guardian totally (it did not ask to set it up again, i just forced it), which means i didn't set a ground level this time.

A bit weird now since you have your chin on the white floor now with the dashboard at eye level (that's the default floor height) just above the floor which makes the home view only partial visible, the bottom part sits under the floor level now.

hmm interesting might see if it works first have to get it to fail first before i can test it, didnt work for me when i put on the head set the white tile floor was at my chin level so went into dcs same thing lasted for 20 minutes than every 2 minutes there after

Edited by pete_auau

Setting Guardian or not should not make a difference in the first place.

Hi all,

Apologies if this is seen as a thread hijack but I thought there ws enough similarities not to warrant a separate question!

As a fairly new user of both DCS & Oculus Rift I thought it was me doing something stupid with regards to the boundary. Every time I start the Rift it wants me to set the boundary, I thought this should be a one of thing!

I start my pc then voice controller, Oculus Tool Tray and then turn on the headset ( linked via a usb3 cable ). At the boot up of the headset I get the boundary message. Once I do that I start the Virtual Desktop and then DCS from within the VD and all is good from there. The Boundary thing is getting to be a royal pain in the butt.

Do you think a powered USB hub would help?

Is there a way to disable the Boundary bit permanently?

Any other suggestions on best way or routine to start up ( ie how to avoid the Oculus desktop/home )?

Thanks for your input guys

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

A powered USB hub has nothing to do with the Guardian so you can rule that out.

I have found no way (yet) to disable the boundary setup but you can skip it. Normally it's OK and will not pop-up again except (possibly) if you change position.

I had no problem with it until the update to 19.0 software.

I never start DCS from within the headset, i start DCS in VR from Skatezilla's tool and then only put my headset on when DCS enters the main menu.

What do you do when you need to set the boundary (Guardian)? Set it up or skip it?

For the moment i blocked the next Oculus update, i will read the forums about problems before i'll let the update go through.

A powered USB hub has nothing to do with the Guardian so you can rule that out.

I have found no way (yet) to disable the boundary setup but you can skip it. Normally it's OK and will not pop-up again except (possibly) if you change position.

I had no problem with it until the update to 19.0 software.

I never start DCS from within the headset, i start DCS in VR from Skatezilla's tool and then only put my headset on when DCS enters the main menu.

What do you do when you need to set the boundary (Guardian)? Set it up or skip it?

What do you

I cannot see a skip option so I have to go through the routine every fekin time and sometimes two or three times before it lets me proceed!! It was doing this occasionally before the latest update but seems worse since!!!!

What is the Skatezilla's tool you speak of?

cheers

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,