more building off of current modules to make content consistant?

WelshZeCorgi

WW2 stuff + modern stuff is rather consistent (except for the I-16) but its weird we have 2 (potentially 3 with the upcoming corsair) korea era aircraft, but no Korean map, (to the point we have an 'over the Yalu' campaign that takes place in caucuses), 3 modules (5 if you count the phantom and f-14A) in the Vietnam era but no Vietnam map. A Viggen but no Sweden map.

I keep hearing rumors, but nothing official but it feels safe to say that the current mix of content is a bit scattershot.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

I agree that this 'patchwork' of things has been a bit of an issue with DCS for many many years now. Think the idea is that this gets a little more 'connected' with more modules being developed - and I'd say the rate of that has increased - but alas that does not work very well if said modules keep 'exploring ever new areas'.

Certainly would enjoy a proper Korean map...

I agree modules in DCS should fill historical conflicts but you've mixed a few things.

F-14A being developed by Heatblur (not released yet) took part in Vietnam war only theoretically - first F-14As made a few flights over Vietnam in 1972 in some very last days of war and didn't see any combat.

There is no Phantom in DCS.

Both MiG-21bis and F-5E are are modeled as mid 1970s variants and didn't take part in Vietnam war. Huey is also more modern than variant used in Vietnam. The only one plane in DCS suitable for Vietnam war is MiG-19S being developed by Razbam (not released yet). Potentially also F-8J Crusader and A-7E Corsair II both being in early stages of development. So maybe Vietnam map will be developed later - with this birds.

F-4U-1d developed by Magnitude/Leatherneck (not released yet) is 1944 variant, it wasn't used in Korean war. The versions of the Corsair used in Korea from 1950 to 1953 were the AU-1, F4U-4B, -4P, and -5N and 5-NL. With fare more powerfull engines and more modern equipment.

Cheers

Sitill we have no actual historical conflict sites for most airframes. Onlly what iffs, and thats fine with me, but then again no assets to build acurate what iff scenariso neither in caucasus, PG or anywhere.. At least till sirya coems out, and then still no real siryanassets for any period, nor iranianassests for any period... so far DCS is a grate Sandbox Sim with very poor coherence...

• 4 months later...

You also have to take into account that ED and the other 3rd parties have pretty much been limited to aircraft for which they have been able to obtain a license for. When developing modules that are at the full fidelity level the complete data is needed. That is something that comes along with being granted a license.

So the current status of DCS is unfortunately the result of what ED and other have been able to get a license and data for.

WW2 stuff + modern stuff is rather consistent (except for the I-16) but its weird we have 2 (potentially 3 with the upcoming corsair) korea era aircraft, but no Korean map, (to the point we have an 'over the Yalu' campaign that takes place in caucuses), 3 modules (5 if you count the phantom and f-14A) in the Vietnam era but no Vietnam map. A Viggen but no Sweden map.

I keep hearing rumors, but nothing official but it feels safe to say that the current mix of content is a bit scattershot.

Actually we have 3 Korean war planes right now- don't forget the F-51 Mustang. Though having said that, I'd love to see more maps. We have the Vigin so an arctic campign would be nice.

I agree modules in DCS should fill historical conflicts but you've mixed a few things.

F-14A being developed by Heatblur (not released yet) took part in Vietnam war only theoretically - first F-14As made a few flights over Vietnam in 1972 in some very last days of war and didn't see any combat.

There is no Phantom in DCS.

Both MiG-21bis and F-5E are are modeled as mid 1970s variants and didn't take part in Vietnam war. Huey is also more modern than variant used in Vietnam. The only one plane in DCS suitable for Vietnam war is MiG-19S being developed by Razbam (not released yet). Potentially also F-8J Crusader and A-7E Corsair II both being in early stages of development. So maybe Vietnam map will be developed later - with this birds.

F-4U-1d developed by Magnitude/Leatherneck (not released yet) is 1944 variant, it wasn't used in Korean war. The versions of the Corsair used in Korea from 1950 to 1953 were the AU-1, F4U-4B, -4P, and -5N and 5-NL. With fare more powerfull engines and more modern equipment.

Cheers

If the Phantom and MiG-21 are too late for Vietnam then a cold war gone hot scenario would work with our Caucus map. Though the foulda gap would be nice.