How to change color of target icon? (color blind to red and green color) - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
bofhlusr
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 69
Default How to change color of target icon? (color blind to red and green color)

I have difficulty in quickly diffentiating between red and green colors. Is there a simple modification to a file that will allow me to change the color of either red or white icon (target) to white or light blue? Thanks.
bofhlusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Gliptal
Senior Member
 
Gliptal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Trento, Italy
Posts: 1,578
Default

I took a look around the TAD script files but didn't see anything that may help with this. I'm afraid the symbols are images with hardcoded colors.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
bofhlusr
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 69
Default

I'm talking to DCS' tech support. Their suggestion is to make the change to
--
... you can change color of target icons in file labels.lua
\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\Labels.lua
ColorAliesSide = {255, 0, 0}
ColorEnemiesSide = {0, 0, 255}
--
Which I did, but it is still not working for me after changing the enemy colors to {255,255,255} or white. The color did not change to white, and I am still waiting for a reply from them.
bofhlusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
ricktoberfest
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofhlusr View Post
I'm talking to DCS' tech support. Their suggestion is to make the change to
--
... you can change color of target icons in file labels.lua
\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\Labels.lua
ColorAliesSide = {255, 0, 0}
ColorEnemiesSide = {0, 0, 255}
--
Which I did, but it is still not working for me after changing the enemy colors to {255,255,255} or white. The color did not change to white, and I am still waiting for a reply from them.

That will change the labels. Are you trying to do that or change the colour on the TADS?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ricktoberfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
bofhlusr
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 69
Default

In addition to being a newbie I'm also partially color blind to red and green (ask me how I differentiate traffic lights) so the learning curve is doubly hard. I'm not sure what a TAD is. All I'm trying to do is make the diamond icons or target marks(?) more visible to me when I press F4 in the first Instant Action mission in the A-10C game.
bofhlusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Catseye
Senior Member
 
Catseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofhlusr View Post
In addition to being a newbie I'm also partially color blind to red and green (ask me how I differentiate traffic lights) so the learning curve is doubly hard. I'm not sure what a TAD is. All I'm trying to do is make the diamond icons or target marks(?) more visible to me when I press F4 in the first Instant Action mission in the A-10C game.

Ouch . . . . how do you see the green HUD?
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
Razor18
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
Ouch . . . . how do you see the green HUD?
It does not prevents him to see contrast difference reading any color characters. It just makes it hard/impossible for him to say which character is red or green, if you WOULD write on a HUD (or anywhere else) with random red and green characters only, in the same text. Similar, as you would see the same picture in black and white. You see the characters, but couldn't tell the colour.
Razor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
Catseye
Senior Member
 
Catseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor18 View Post
It does not prevents him to see contrast difference reading any color characters. It just makes it hard/impossible for him to say which character is red or green, if you WOULD write on a HUD (or anywhere else) with random red and green characters only, in the same text. Similar, as you would see the same picture in black and white. You see the characters, but couldn't tell the colour.
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #9
bofhlusr
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor18 View Post
It does not prevents him to see contrast difference reading any color characters. It just makes it hard/impossible for him to say which character is red or green, if you WOULD write on a HUD (or anywhere else) with random red and green characters only, in the same text. Similar, as you would see the same picture in black and white. You see the characters, but couldn't tell the colour.
Exactly right. For the traffic lights, I drive the car based on the position of the light that newly changed. Target icons in DCS are difficult to distinguish because they have the same shape and decisions have to be quickly made too.
bofhlusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #10
Razor18
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
This is a test image for that problem. You see the number, he only sees bubbles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	colors.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	134555  
Razor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.