F-35 in reality

=Mac=

http://www.pogo.org/straus/issues/weapons/2018/f-35-still-no-finish-line-in-sight.html

What a dismal outlook for such a poor functioning aircraft. Where did all that money go? Who wants to fly it into real combat?

And this is supposed to REPLACE the A-10? *** funny! ***

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

OH BOY, HERE WE GO!

But yes, soldiering on with an aircraft that's being frankensteined into airworthiness is such a preferable outcome. I can't wait to see the Sprey posts!

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Imho, the F-35 looks and performs like a fat l’il gerbil.

Or maybe we should call it a “piggy”...as in, it’s just a lot of PORK for a certain branch of USG and their b’loved constituents.

How many F-35's have you flown? :P

CDI at POGO, no bias there at all, no way lol...Using a source document specifically outlined as a testing report giving transparency, as fact of failure of a program and declaring victory over the testing as if it is some huge political statement or "bucking the military industrial complex that gouges taxpayers"...yep, no bias at all. Guess it should be reminded these problems are being identified and addressed outside of combat mostly in testing or minimal service usage, unlike many of the "great" warplanes that tended to require costly retrofitting/re-engineering at the deficit of lives during war and explained as "lessons learned"...btw pray tell, who has a fifth gen. multirole fighter in numbers with 0 problems, 0 budget issues, and lacking petty political squabbling and speculation based on testing information being publicly released? Yea, crickets...Will take an F-35 overhead any day in the CAS role. But what do I know really?

I am just a grunt.

I saw the F-35 at an airshow recently... It looked pretty capable and was actually a lot smaller than I expected. I also got the impression that it has a whole BOATLOAD more power than most people think.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

M1Combat, you also didn't likely even see it in the "3F" configuration with the max G and other power/maneuverability restrictions still in place. Some deployed F35s over in the Pacific/Japan recently got the 3F, there have been some F15 pilots posting about fighting it in a2a practice fights on the net if you search around the defense journals/websites.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Will take an F-35 overhead any day in the CAS role. But what do I know really?

I am just a grunt.

I have a suspicion that you'll happily take IL-2 (soviet WW2-era armoured "shturmovik" ground assault aircraft) in CAS role with same joy. It'll probably be more effective at that as well :thumbup:

But seriously. What A-10 can't do that this thing can? It can hang near combat zone for hours, being on a short notice, it carries more armament than B-17 could, with most of it being "smart", it can recon the target area and pick even single targets for itself, it can lay down cannon fire to quickly eliminate area targets. What else do you need that's not coming from a combat helicopter?

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

CDI at POGO, no bias there at all, no way lol...Using a source document specifically outlined as a testing report giving transparency, as fact of failure of a program and declaring victory over the testing as if it is some huge political statement or "bucking the military industrial complex that gouges taxpayers"...yep, no bias at all. Guess it should be reminded these problems are being identified and addressed outside of combat mostly in testing or minimal service usage, unlike many of the "great" warplanes that tended to require costly retrofitting/re-engineering at the deficit of lives during war and explained as "lessons learned"...btw pray tell, who has a fifth gen. multirole fighter in numbers with 0 problems, 0 budget issues, and lacking petty political squabbling and speculation based on testing information being publicly released? Yea, crickets...Will take an F-35 overhead any day in the CAS role. But what do I know really?

I am just a grunt.

The strange thing is that the people that criticises a project out from a report never have seen inside the cockpit and never even been close to the real aircraft! I chose to believe the blogs and reports from the real pilots flying this aircraft, it is the best aircraft they ever flown. I also tend to believe the military reports that says they have a complete different view of the battlefield just by adding the F-35. The F-35 have never been specified as a replacement for the A-10C but will do the same job ten times as fast and ten times as accurate. So do we throw the A-10 in the boneyard? Mo i don't think so as it is can do a good job in a low threat battlefield and it is still flyable.

Someone come and say the F-16 was free of bugs when it was declared combat ready! No way. It did not deliver what the brochure stated.

Someone come and say the F-18 was perfect and operated with no problems from the day it was declared operational. No way!

See the trend?

I have a suspicion that you'll happily take IL-2 (soviet WW2-era armoured "shturmovik" ground assault aircraft) in CAS role with same joy. It'll probably be more effective at that as well :thumbup:

But seriously. What A-10 can't do that this thing can? It can hang near combat zone for hours, being on a short notice, it carries more armament than B-17 could, with most of it being "smart", it can recon the target area and pick even single targets for itself, it can lay down cannon fire to quickly eliminate area targets. What else do you need that's not coming from a combat helicopter?

Doubtful on the IL-2, but see your point. The F-35 is capable of far more, thus multi-role, which requires less differing airframes, less currency for pilots, less systems being employed, less communication due to information handoffs between platforms, etc...Sure, the A-10 fills the CAS role well, I am a huge fan, and I am also sad to see it go eventually. But, the F-35 was designed to do that role, and much more beyond. Just so you know, a little short sighted to ask what more is needed that isn't coming from combat rotor wing. There is a lot more.

The strange thing is that the people that criticises a project out from a report never have seen inside the cockpit and never even been close to the real aircraft! I chose to believe the blogs and reports from the real pilots flying this aircraft, it is the best aircraft they ever flown. I also tend to believe the military reports that says they have a complete different view of the battlefield just by adding the F-35. The F-35 have never been specified as a replacement for the A-10C but will do the same job ten times as fast and ten times as accurate. So do we throw the A-10 in the boneyard? Mo i don't think so as it is can do a good job in a low threat battlefield and it is still flyable.

Someone come and say the F-16 was free of bugs when it was declared combat ready! No way. It did not deliver what the brochure stated.

Someone come and say the F-18 was perfect and operated with no problems from the day it was declared operational. No way!

See the trend?

I agree with your thought wholeheartedly. I trust what people who actually fly the F-35 have to say about the F-35 more so than thinktank journalists with bones to pick just because they see a massive project, one that by the way, no one else in the world is capable of taking on single handedly at such scale. Jealousy breeds resentment, especially for sensationalist journalism. But yes I see the trend and hope others do as well.

http://www.pogo.org/straus/issues/weapons/2018/f-35-still-no-finish-line-in-sight.html

What a dismal outlook for such a poor functioning aircraft. Where did all that money go? Who wants to fly it into real combat?

And this is supposed to REPLACE the A-10? *** funny! ***

As has been alluded to earlier, POGO have an (anti-F35) agenda of their own to push.

They did much the same thing with:

The V22

The Stryker wheeled IFV

The F22 Raptor

The bloody M1 Abrams(!?)

In short, they're not big fans of large scale military development programs in general. AFAIK they're a rather terrible source of insight into the "reality" of the F35 today.

Edited by Boogieman

• ED Team

Guys I have had a cleanup in this thread, if you don't know our rules please take a look before posting

https://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

thread reopened topic is F-35 in reality

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sometimes I wonder if it is a pentagon strategy to down play the effectiveness of US equipment in order to give a false sense of security to potential enemies.

That would mean potential enemies might train less, or train in a way that does not prepare them in way that represents the actual threat. Leaving them unprepared and ineffective.

Sometimes I wonder if it is a pentagon strategy to down play the effectiveness of US equipment in order to give a false sense of security to potential enemies.

That would mean potential enemies might train less, or train in a way that does not prepare them in way that represents the actual threat. Leaving them unprepared and ineffective.

I don't know about that. What I do suspect is that western/US programs of this kind inevitably have their dirty laundry aired in a way that simply does not (/cannot?) occur to remotely the same extent in places like China or Russia (the stereotypical "competition").

Add in the influence of rival companies, the appeal of media sensationalism, clickbait blogging and any other conflicting interests and you get an unprecedented hurricane of misinformation and hyperbole.

My 2c...

Edited by Boogieman

Disinformation is real. US does have a department for that in the AF. Don't know where else it might reside in gov.

I do know from my own experience that every engineer I ever worked with that worked on the F35 said it was a piece of shit and was incompetently managed. I've never heard an engineer say that about any other program. Gripes yes, but not outright P.O.S.

Most would always say how proud they were to work on program X and how cool X program was. This would always bring up great discussions about what it was like there. For the F35 program, they would lament you why it was a messed up design concept and how it was utterly failing to meet its requirements. I know from my own experience having worked on a couple programs... I've always been proud to have worked on them.

I'm positive they will fix the airframe software issues but it is alarming how this program was conceived (One airframe to rule them all) and executed. Too many people that never flew watching too many movies, deciding how to make an airplane program.

The F35 should of been two possibly three separate programs. Someone wanted their cake and to eat it too.

ETA: Don't forget when reading this that I might of got a biased sample. But I am skeptical that I did because compromises are always made to make anything. When you ask an aircraft to do it all. It has to make an awful lot of compromises.

Edited by aileron