Pattern work - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
BlacleyCole

Yeah from the info i read last night their patterns use a taxiway instead of the runway.

Here is the Nellis afi attached
Oculus Rift with \LeapMotion.
pro Flight Trainer Puma helicopter controls and VKB Gladiator II and pedals GameTrix JetSeat, TM WartHog HOTAS and speedmaster Flight
Kneeboard maker
Voice attack with Viacom pro plugin
Sim Shaker for aviators
Wanted:
VKB Gunfighter2 Pro with Modern Combat Grip Pro and extension and VKB Twin Engine Control System
BlacleyCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
BlacleyCole

Yeah if i read it correctly they use a taxiway instead of the runway I wasn’t able to attach the file on my iPad but here are the applicable paragraphs

7.4. Clearance and Taxi Procedures. Locally based helicopters will normally park in the
Jolly Ramp area in front of 66th Rescue Squadron (66 RQS) or the Ramp in front of the hush
houses adjacent to Jolly Taxi lane. Helipads are movement areas requiring aircraft to receive
clearance from Nellis Tower prior to entry and exit. Aircraft will contact Nellis Ground with:
call sign, ATIS information, pad (Jolly or Transient), departure, squawk and flight-following
intentions. Aircraft will contact Nellis Tower short of the pad to receive clearance to taxi onto
the pad. Following hover checks, contact Nellis Tower for takeoff clearance.
A7.4.1. Arriving aircraft will be directed to an open helipad if traffic is located on the
requested landing pad. After landing at Jolly or Transient Helipad, aircraft will clear off the
pad with Tower then taxi direct to parking while monitoring Nellis Ground.
A7.4.2. Unless otherwise coordinated with 66 RQS/CC or DO to operate out of Jolly Ramp
area, Tower will direct all transit helicopter traffic to the Transient Helipad. AMOPS or TA
normally assigns specific parking.
5. Operations within Class B Airspace. Upon departing Class B airspace, aircraft shall not
re-enter without ATC approval. ATC clearance for any of the Class B departures/arrivals
constitutes clearance to operate within Class B airspace.
A7.6. Helicopter Departure/Arrival Routes. Departure routes are detailed below. For
arrivals, fly the reverse of the departure routing. If other routings are desired, coordinate with
Nellis Tower. Clearance will be obtained from Nellis Tower prior to crossing the extended
runway within 5 NM. Avoid North Las Vegas Class D airspace during west arrivals and
departures. Use caution for five antennas located at LSV R-312 1.7 DME (2,248 feet MSL). All
procedures are not for use in IMC. Use under basic VFR weather minimums only and aircrew
are responsible for terrain/obstacle avoidance. During periods of inclement weather when the
reported ceiling and/or visibility is less than VFR minimums, helicopter pilots may request a
Special VFR clearance to depart/arrive Nellis AFB. Class Bravo clearances will be issued in
accordance with direction of flight requested.
A7.6.1. Teardrop Modification. A modification to a published departure to initially takeoff
southerly or land northerly for adverse winds. Example of clearance: “REQUEST
TEARDROP GASS PEAK DEPARTURE.” Takeoff south-bound avoiding over flight of
aircraft on the taxiway when below 200 feet AGL. Remain west of the inside runway.
Remain below 500 feet AGL and proceed with requested departure.
A7.6.2. Gass Peak Departure/Arrival. Depart helipad northwest direct to western side of
FLEX. Remain at or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace. Use caution for
power lines in vicinity.
A7.6.3. Dry Lake Departure/Arrival. Depart north/northeast to cross the North Gap
(approximately 2 NM east of Jettison Hill with power line going through the gap). Remain at
or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace. Use caution for aircraft operating at
Winner LZ.
A7.6.4. Red Horse Departure/Arrival. Depart helipad north until intersecting I-15. Turn
right to parallel I-15 until abeam the sand dunes (N36 36.87 W114 56.05). Proceed direct to
the sand dunes and remain at or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace.
A7.6.5. Sunrise Departure/Arrival. Depart the helipad direct to the South Gap (Lake Mead
Blvd between Sunrise and Frenchman Mountain). Remain at or below 500 feet AGL until
clear of Class B airspace.
A7.6.6. RED FLAG Departure/Arrival. Helicopters parked on the DOE ramp should depart
the airfield from Taxiway Golf, paralleling the active runway to the northeast until cleared by
Nellis Tower controllers to cross the runway’s extended centerline. Continue departure and
maintain at or below 500 feet AGL until clear of Class B airspace and proceed to “Dry Lake”
(N 36 28 W 114 53). During arrivals or departures, monitor local helicopter common
frequency (VHF-FM 40.80) for advisory of helicopter traffic using call signs “Jolly,
Mongoose or Sting.” (POC is RED FLAG Chief of Rotary Wing Operations).
A7.7. Traffic Pattern.
A7.7.1. At Nellis: RWY 03/21 pattern altitude 2,500 feet MSL, with downwind east of the
field. Base and crosswind limits are the Golf Course to the south and within 300 meters of
Perimeter Road fire pit to the north. On a workload permitting basis, locally assigned
helicopters will be authorized to fly practice approaches to Taxiway Golf with prior approval
from Nellis Tower. Helicopters will not fly below 200 feet AGL over any parked or taxiing
aircraft or vehicle, except in an emergency or when mission requirements dictate flight below
this altitude. Do not over fly aircraft on the DOE ramp. Practice instrument approaches for
helicopters are normally flown to RWY 21L. Standard climb out for subsequent approaches
will be: “CROSS DEPATURE END AT OR BELOW 3,000, TURN RIGHT HEADING 350,
MAINTAIN VFR AND CONTACT APPROACH.”
A7.7.2. During periods of inclimate weather when the reported ceiling and/or visibility is
less than VFR minima, local helicopter pilots may request a Special VFR clearance to
depart/arrive LSV. Class Bravo clearances will be issued IAW direction of flight requested.

Now I don’t think the regular pattern info shouldn’t apply
pro Flight Trainer Puma helicopter controls and VKB Gladiator II and pedals GameTrix JetSeat, TM WartHog HOTAS and speedmaster Flight
Kneeboard maker
Sim Shaker for aviators
Wanted:
VKB Gunfighter2 Pro with Modern Combat Grip Pro and extension and VKB Twin Engine Control System
Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
Sandman1330

My read of that leads me even more to believe they wouldn't do VFR circuits at the airfield.

A more realistic setup would be to pick a piece of practice area outside the airfield control zone, somewhere in the ranges, and do circuits at that location. For mission design purposes, you could have the start, taxi, and departure as per one of the departure procedures above. Once in the practice area, do the manoeuvres you want to achieve, then return via the arrival procedure. I think this would be the most realistic.
R5 1600X @ 4Ghz / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (@2933... for now) / Samsung 960 Evo M.2 / Saitek X55 / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Rift CV1
Sandman1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #14
BlacleyCole

Thanks
Kneeboard maker
Sim Shaker for aviators
Wanted: