P51D max 61 MP and WEP limits

Muybonito523

So we are all aware of the P51D's engine baby sitting required. I've gotten to the point that I can usually keep the instruments like oil and radiator cooling in the green. However I still cook the engine on occasion using Max 3000rpm 61 manifold sometimes, and also WEP. I think I don't understand the limits on the right side of the canopy, so I'm hoping for some clarification. When it says 15 minutes for Max 3000rpm and 61 manifold, does that mean total time or continuous time, as in say I stayed in that setting for the full 15 and then stopped and went back to Max continuous, does this mean that after a while the engine will be prepared for another 15 minutes of abuse, or that after I used my fifteen minutes I better never go to that setting again? I assume WEP would be identical in whatever behavior is correct? Anyone know how it works?

i7 7800x @ 4.2Ghz I MSI M7ACK X299 I 32GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 I ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM 16000M STICK / HOTAS / TM Pedals I Oculus Rift VR CV1

VF-111 Sun Downers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

I like to call them guidelines

Cooling is largely dependant on your speed. The faster you are, the better cooling. In level flight, one can have the manifold up to 61 and the RPMs at their full 3000 for half an hour (that's about as far as I've ever bothered, could go longer). What can kill cooling is maneuvering. That lowers speed and disrupts airflow somewhat.270ca6145ebccc8e849437449c839a06.jpg

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yah the maneuvering definitely affects it, but does that mean the time limit guideline is for if you stay in the green or is that out of green limit. Cause yes I've gone around that same time frame full Max power, but sometimes at 40 to 50 minutes engine still seize on me, so it made me wonder if it was more of.time limit that once exceeded, your engine is worn and will seize if further abuse is applied.

i7 7800x @ 4.2Ghz I MSI M7ACK X299 I 32GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400 I ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM 16000M STICK / HOTAS / TM Pedals I Oculus Rift VR CV1

VF-111 Sun Downers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

I think the only time it’s an issue is if you let the engine get overheated. Keep in mine that over heated is not out of the green arc, it’s actually past the red line and almost pegged on the temp gauge. There’s always heating and cooling happening as the auto radiators open and close. If you get the engine really hot on the way up, it will cool down really fast on the way down. The temp gauge will climb well out of the green arc when you climb and come back down into the green arc when you dive. It’s really all about the air flow through the radiators. The 15min is based off continuous use. Meaning nonstop for 15min. If you see the temps rise and your getting close to redline, just pitch down a little and allow more air flow through the radiators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1