How do I use the AIM-120?

Black6

I have a issue with using of AIM-120B. If launching it beyound its active radar range the missile flies straight ahead - it doesn´t follow the target - like there was no support from aircraft radar even if it´s in STT mode and target is locked. When launching from F-15 - there is no problem.

Georgia scenario

I have a issue with using of AIM-120B. If launching it beyound its active radar range the missile flies straight ahead - it doesn´t follow the target - like there was no support from aircraft radar even if it´s in STT mode and target is locked. When launching from F-15 - there is no problem.

Georgia scenario

Can you provide a track?

--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

36° Stormo Virtuale - Italian Virtual Flight Community

www.36stormovirtuale.net

Just did a test, armed with 6 AIM-120Bs and fired to a target 30-35 NM away, at an angle. All 6 AIM-120Bs corrected their course after launch and flew towards the target. So, no problem here.

Was it a one-off or is it consistent? Remove any mods and try a repair if it is.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Just taking a guess, but it could be that you're assuming you entered STT when you are actually in SAM.

If you place the attack radar cursor over the brick and press TMS UP once, you will enter situational awareness mode (SAM), which is something like LTWS in the Hornet. From that point you can enter STT by pressing TMS UP a second time.

So make sure to enter STT by pressing TMS UP twice on the brick.

I'd suggest rewatching this vid from Wags about the radar RWS and basic AIM-120 employment to make sure you're not missing something. I hope it's helpful

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've tried it again. The same result. Immediately after launch the missile steers to the actual position of target and then flies straight ahead until reaching active radar range.

My model situation was like this:

target - Tu-22 fliing from west to east at level 300, M0,9 - conditions set - not to react on threat, do not use ECM

interceptor - F-16CM fliing from south to north at level 370, M0,9

2x launch, dist 21,2 - 21,5 nm according to display - inside maneuvering range

Non of missiles reached the target.

I´v recorded the video, but I dont know, how to post it here.