We need the D Variant

Dannyvandelft

As much as I, and i m sure many more people as well, would like to get the D (giggidy), it's unlikely to happend. And if it does, it would require a lot of systems being at least partially redone, like the sparrowhawk hud, the newer radar, etc.

It's easier to make the A and the B, than the B and the D.

Honestly, i m happy we're getting 2 variants in the 1st place, and while the D would be nice to have, i think the B manages just fine, and the A will offer a lot more in mission making capabilities, as well as present a challange to a lot of expierienced people.

TL;DR: Probably not gonna happend, even tho a lot of people would love it

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

But whats next, the Bell X1? TSR2? XB70? If they are going to launch a project based on such a few number of aircraft built, the sky is presumably the limit.

I dont get the fetish for the D, I really dont. It wasnt THAT much more capable than the B, other than the flight control system. And I believe they bolted that onto A models late in its life anyway.

Ive got the Tomcat I want. The only other Tomcat I would want is the Tomcat 21, and I blame Dick Cheney not Heatblur for that particular decision. :)

No disrespect to anyone wanting a D btw. I just dont understand it.

I don't see a D variant bringing anything new to the table gameplay wise. That development time could also be spent on an Aardvark, Tornado IDS or Intruder. Those would be the first two-seater ground attackers in DCS.

As much as I would think a Jaktviggen would be fun, it would pretty much just replace the AJS sales. Instead a Draken or early Gripen would make more sense marketing wise.

The F-14D was a real aircraft and still very much a Tomcat...if you are going to represent an aircraft at the level that Heatblur has, it would be a waste and diservice to not represent all variants. The F-14D was arguably the Tomcat at it's best and would bring a lot of great things to DCS and virtual Tomcat pilots/RIOs.

Also, the F-14D represents a specific time period that some virtual aviators can relate to more so than the F-14A or F-14B.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

A Tomcat with a Sparrowhawk HUD is not a Tomcat. At least for me.

How does this relate to the topic of F-14D? ;)

Back to the topic at hand, I don't see why the relatively low procured numbers would be a reason against it? The Navy ordered 200 of them and expected to get more, but due to the end of Cold War and short-sightedness of both the Navy and Grumman, the Super Hornet was chosen to replace it and the F-14D and its proposed growth programs (which came much too late, I guess) were canned.

The F-14D was the best of the F-14 we could get - a proven airframe and engines with some digitized systems which only made the airplane easier to operate and even more capable. What's not to like here?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How does this relate to the topic of F-14D? ;)

Back to the topic at hand, I don't see why the relatively low procured numbers would be a reason against it? The Navy ordered 200 of them and expected to get more, but due to the end of Cold War and short-sightedness of both the Navy and Grumman, the Super Hornet was chosen to replace it and the F-14D and its proposed growth programs (which came much too late, I guess) were canned.

The F-14D was the best of the F-14 we could get - a proven airframe and engines with some digitized systems which only made the airplane easier to operate and even more capable. What's not to like here?

Well for much that it might be technically superior than the A and B versions, some people tend to identify themselves more with old-school aspects from the early Tomcats.

Me for instance, undoubtedly much prefer the old HUD symbology (on the Tomcat only), rather than the D versions SparrowHawk HUD's symbols - already too much like F-15, F-16, etc. "modern" HUDs.

I don't know, maybe that early rudimentary symbology does have its own charisma, or it's because it represents the early ways weapons were employed when the Tomcat first came out.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

The F-14D didn't get the Sparrowhawk. Only the F-14B(U) got it, and only 82 of them. The F-14D used a Kaiser HUD, which the Sparrowhawk surpassed in performance and sophistication.

I'd want the F-14D it for completion but it's not a must have. I got my exact favorite variant already in the mid-90's F-14B we've got.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I hope all this talk is purely academic guys....i mean, the F-14 A/B is nowhere near completion. The B is short on features and the A is yet to be announced. On top of that DCS has become a much more dynamic platform in the last year, which although a sim-fan wet dream, means much more work days spent on troubleshooting and bug squashing. I can't see Heatblur having enough time for a completely new project anytime "soon".

With that out of the way, is this is purely wishful thinking, then yeah, why not. I'd pay for an F-14D, not because i need it, or i think it will add all that much to DCS that we don't already have capability wise (JDAM's and improved radar?), but just because it's an F-14 and as a favorite jet of mine, i wouldn't mind having all of them in the sim at some point. But i would also like a very early F-14A for that matter, preferably a cruise 1 variant. And a fully modeled F-15A. And C. And a naval Phantom. And a whole new bunch of stuff.......just don't get me started :P

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

if you are going to represent an aircraft at the level that Heatblur has, it would be a waste and diservice to not represent all variants.

I don't see the logic there.

I'd rather have a wide variety of aircraft types in their most common variant each portrayed in high quality than to have every variant, no matter how rare, of far fewer aircraft types.

The F-14D used a Kaiser HUD, which the Sparrowhawk surpassed in performance and sophistication.

In what way does the Sparrowhawk surpass the AN/AVG-12?

Someone mentioned in a different thread Heatblur's not doing an F-14D due to a lack of data. The A-6 is also off the table as a flyable aircraft; it'll be available in AI only.

Where do you get this info from? The last thing I heard about the Intruder was the initial annoucement that we will get an AI A-6E and KA-6 and if they get the Lisence they'll make a flyable variant as they are already making it with that in mind.

+1 for the Super Tomcat. No Idea why people are against more awesome stuff from HB :doh: They already said they'd love to make it buuuut it looks like we wont get it as much of the plane is still (extremly stupidly imo) classified af.