Why do I keep buying new aircraft modules and only flying them once?

Yeti42

I´ve had this addiction for a while now, I literally have all modules except 2 Helos, and now I only fly the FA-18 intensively, the A-10 to keep myself up to date on it and sometimes the Harriet to play around with the VTOL, the rest I only probably tried a free flight and forgot about them and now are all in my "Start Menu Museum".

But as many here its all for the support of ED and 3rd Party Developers. What I most appreciate is more missions and Campaigns for my "2 core modules", that would keep me addicted forever!

I love this addiction just keeps challenging my brain, my Hand-Sight coordination and Knowledge of everything to do with Flight!!!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Yeah, I have quite a few and am tempted by more. The problem for me is not buying them, but being able to dedicate the time to learn how to operate them effectively. At the moment my 'main' a/c is the Mirage. If I just want a VFR bimble I take the YAK. I am sorely tempted to add the F14 or F18, but I know there is just too much time needed to invest in order to get the best out of them, and with the F16 just around the corner, I know that will be the one I really want to fly.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Goodness I have so many modules I have bought that I have not even taken the time to set up controls for, much less learning them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Usually buy early to help out... But can get you burnt... So then I don't fly them.

Yes you MI-8/Huey... Multiplayer crew not up to scratch.

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

I stick to a core set, but i think it's just brain capacity for time spent. You will have your favourites, a tool for each job. I wish I did more rotary and warbird time since I love those too, I end up in the Hornet or F-14 mostly and Harrier for air to ground but I've flown them all bar the CE and Yak and to a good standard. I just can't keep current in all of them at once and that's why i float between a handful that other also like.

Consider an hour per week on each airframe really adds up. And DCS is not like riding a bike, where you have 2 months off and you can pick it up instantly, there's definitely a point where you need to just get stick time in on a particular module else have a frustrating experience.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Look new shiny,... :P

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I only buy aircraft that I fly on a more or less regular basis. It get's a bit difficult though to stay current on all the 16 aircraft I have bought untill now, but so far I still manage to do so :D

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

My last module was the AV-8B a few weeks ago. Together with the F/A-18C and the A-10C it keeps me more than busy. Next one will be the F-16 as soon as it will be available.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I only recently downloaded DCS for the first time in the last sale. I was sorta semi-disciplined about what I bought and also quite structured: I created a spreadsheet with all the modules: terrain, aircraft, paid missions. Then the following thought process:

1) All terrain, as I don't want to be held back from activating any missions. And I want location variety.

2) Stick to jets, although both vintage and modern. Props maybe someday, but for now stick to jets.

3) Focus on NATO aircraft where I can read the instrument panels without learning Russian in addition to learning how to fly.

I broke this rule by getting the AJS 37... NATO yes, but controls in Swedish... but hey. I read the reviews and it looks like a pretty unique aircraft and seeing as we don't yet have a Buccaneer then the Saab will have to do.

4) Only buy modules in a sale, never at full price, unless I run out of modules to learn (which will take years).

Having set this criteria I've now spent some money on modules, all the missions for each aircraft purchased and 1+1/2 HOTAS setups. I am pretty determined to fly each module. I've already started an learned quite a lot in the A-10C, but I understand that while the airframe is easy to fly, the mission avionics are very complex.

Any advice on which order to learn aircraft from the following list?

1) A-10C

2) F-5E

3) F/A-18C

4) AV-8B

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1) A-10C

2) F-5E

3) F/A-18C

4) AV-8B

If you already have an F-5E, might as well start with this one to learn the basics. But from what I've read, the paid campaign for this one is anything but basic and doesn't work well with DCS AI.

Otherwise it's Hog or Hornet, whichever you prefer. Hornet is easier to grasp.

Leaver the Harrier for last. Maybe by 2020 Razbam will finish the manuals and fix the most serious issues.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I have 14 aircraft modules, plus flaming cliffs and NS-430.

I fly frequently FW-190D, BF-109K, F/A-19. Some of them, like the L-39, F-86 and M-2000C I've only used a couple of times after I bought them.

I fly the Ka-80 occasionally to avoid losing my knowledge, and I like it.

I have pretty much given up on the AJS37 and AV-8NA as I find the pace of progress to completion unsatisfactory.

I will selectively buy new modules from ED because I'm essentially satisfied with their quality, but be very reluctant with other developers.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

me too :)

Me too, I really had to support this new developer:music_whistling:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I have 14 aircraft modules, plus flaming cliffs and NS-430.

I fly frequently FW-190D, BF-109K, F/A-19. Some of them, like the L-39, F-86 and M-2000C I've only used a couple of times after I bought them.

I fly the Ka-80 occasionally to avoid losing my knowledge, and I like it.

I have pretty much given up on the AJS37 and AV-8NA as I find the pace of progress to completion unsatisfactory.

I will selectively buy new modules from ED because I'm essentially satisfied with their quality, but be very reluctant with other developers.

How could I miss the F/A-19!!! When was it released??:megalol:

I only recently downloaded DCS for the first time in the last sale. I was sorta semi-disciplined about what I bought ...

1) All terrain, as I don't want to be held back from activating any missions. And I want location variety.

Fully agree, once you own a few planes, Maps become more valuable than aircrafts, as each new map benefits every aircraft you have.

3) Focus on NATO aircraft where I can read the instrument panels without learning Russian in addition to learning how to fly.

For all the russian planes, there are english cockpits available .. dont miss on the MiG-21 which is an enjoyable plane and thus support its developer so that the F-8 Crusader becomes a reality :)

I broke this rule by getting the AJS 37... NATO yes, but controls in Swedish...

Actually, Sweden is not part of NATO :)

4) Only buy modules in a sale, never at full price, unless I run out of modules to learn (which will take years).

I used to do that, until I actually ran out of modules to buy :blush: .. now I try to purchase using whatever pre-release discount there might be .. its the case of the Spitfire, the F-18 and the F-14 .. ahh, and the MiG-19 ... tough I try to use my bonus points whenever I can.

1) A-10C

2) F-5E

3) F/A-18C

4) AV-8B

I would start with the F-5E :) .. use the Bunyap Test Flight as an introduction to this plane:

Cheers

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Another addict here...

I own almost all Modules but have uninstalled all but my favorites. I wish I could give those uninstalled away. Especially to those less fortunate.

Kept Active:

A10C

F18

F14

F15

AV8

P51

Spitfire

Huey

FC3 - gathering dust

F15 - gathering dust

I can’t see myself buying anymore modules other than the Carrier and Maps.

F16 burn out from Falcon, so no interest, but will be nice to see in game.

All I want now is the Dynamic Campaign. I hope it is MP, I only fly MP since SP is boring to me.

Prefer flying with and against human pilots.

<S>

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

And here another one...

Using F-18, A-10C, Mirage, all the WWII's, MIG-21, Sabre in this order.

Catching dust:

MIG-15, 4 helos, Viggen, C-101, L-39, F-5, SU-25 A, SU-27,F-15.

Gladly, I see that slowly but steadily the devs and ED put the money to good use.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

@Some1 and @Rudel_chw:

Thanks lads! I'm just going to try to figure out how to map profiles for the F-5E onto my Warthog while I wait (impatiently) for my Virpil WarBRD base and grip to arrive. And I'll give that a shot. I am making pretty good progress on the Warthog to be fair so I will probably do both in parallel. Much as I like the Harrier (as a Brit) I figured that I would have to learn that second to last with the Viggen waiting till the end.

And thanks for the information about English language Mig-21... didn't know that and I am certainly interested in the aircraft given its operational history in the Middle East.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]