What is still broken/missing on the L-39

GeorgeLKMT

2. East German pilots keep telling that there was only a small time frame for shooting the R-3S missile, because the minimum speed for shooting the R-3S was just a little bit below the maximum aircraft speed (where the airbrake is being engaged automatically). Doesn't seem to be the case in "our" L-39's. Any thoughts about this?

I thought R-3S were never used in training on L-39 by the East German Air Force. That's interesting to hear. Could you get more information on how they were used, i.e. did East German trainee pilots actually fire missiles in training? What did they shoot at, and what was the setup like?

I thought R-3S were never used in training on L-39 by the East German Air Force. That's interesting to hear. Could you get more information on how they were used, i.e. did East German trainee pilots actually fire missiles in training? What did they shoot at, and what was the setup like?

Actually, only the training missile R-3U was being used for training. This missile recorded all data like target distance, g-forces, speed etc. and could be analyzed after the flight. The conditions for shooting the real R-3S could never be achieved: The minimum speed for shooting this missile was Mach 0.8. This speed could only be obtained in a dive. At this speed though, the speed brakes would extend. At the same time, the pilot would have to keep the target for 3 seconds within the missile head's 3° detection angle in a range between 1200 and 4000 meters without exceeding 2 g. That conditions were practically impossible to achieve, so in 1983 the missile training was completely removed from the training plan and the radio rangefinders were decomissioned. The conversion to the R-60 missile was being discussed, but not realized. -> Taken from the book "Strahltrainer L-39 Albatros" by PPV which was written by a former GDR flight instructor :book:

Edit: I don't know where this "Minimum R-3S speed - Mach 0.8" comes from, but I will keep researching :)

Edited by portman

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!

• 1 month later...

He's probably talking about the sun visor on the sides of the instrument panel which can be pulled out (there's a little handle on the right side)

Make a new topic in the Bugs and Problems section for it to get properly tracked as this is not a support thread. It's merely a list of ongoing issues I created before there was a bug section as devs weren't paying much attention and fixing them. They still don't, but at least we have the section now, which is nice. ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I bought L39 yesterday.

The first lesson of training can't allow me to use the thrust. Neither with keyboard.

The second landing lesson stuck after the takeoff. The instructor doesn't go on with the training, and I fly maintaining heading for the eternity...

Why? (Oh, come on! Uff! :( )

I bought L39 yesterday.

The first lesson of training can't allow me to use the thrust. Neither with keyboard.

The second landing lesson stuck after the takeoff. The instructor doesn't go on with the training, and I fly maintaining heading for the eternity...

Why? (Oh, come on! Uff! :( )

Download Chucks guide for the L39 ilgrillo.

While the lessons in sim are good and all, these days after flying many different aircraft in many sims, I just have a go...:) Watch some YT videos and read the manual or Chucks guides etc.

Once you start to get the fundamentals down for the aircraft (Checklists are good) it's just lots of practice.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi,

Would love mirror flip animation to turn off the mirror, as almost all other ED aircrafts (F/A-18C, Su-27, F-15C, Mig-29) do. A static white texture of L-39 mirror when turning off looks not realistic, especially at night.

Thanks for developers!

Regards

• 2 months later...

I have the same problems as Igrillo mentioned with both tutorial missions. The first one can be solved by pressing the space bar. The second appears to be a trigger malfunctioning, if you loop back to the airport in certain conditions it fires.

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Last night while I was in a night mission I noticed that the WARNING LIGHT INTENSITY KNOB (right panel) in the FRONT COCKPIT of the L-39ZA is not working (lights are always on).

I checked the instructor seat in the L-39ZA and both seats of the L-39C and here's the result:

L39ZA

Front seat: not working

Instructor seat: working

L39C

Front seat: working

Instructor seat: working

I hope this gets fixed since the plane is very enjoyable and it is a pity these little imperfections mar the luster of the module.

Cheers! :thumbup: