Stick centered, trim still sliding aft-right every press

Hay Guys,

I dunno if it's just me, but coming back after a longer pause with the Mi-8, it seems trim is pretty much acting up. If I center my joystick (on the ground also), and press trim button, control indicator diamond slides aft-right and not just a little, as if I would hold my stick there when pressing button, and I wouldn't release stick to go back to center. But I don't touch it. Tought it was gonna be maybe today's update not applied, so I updated, no improvement. I can only herd back the diamond to center, if I push my joy up left and press trim there. First sight it could seem to scream calibration problem, but no any problem with the Huey, if I jump over to try it. Even tried recalibrate my joy, didn't help either, tough stick is shown totally centered.

Somebody please try and confirm if problem exists for others too?

Thanks

That sort of thing is generally caused by mechanical imperfections in the stick, which can be exacerbated by very precise sensors. Try adding a small deadzone, then increasing it until the stick remains centered with repeated trimmer presses.

If I'm misunderstanding the issue and the problem is that the controls register a sharp deflection when pressing the trimmer, you may somehow have the trimmer bound to that stick direction (as in the binary "bang-bang" control, not the analog control in the axis group).

Today I tried (idling on the ground) to press trim reset, while looking at the control indicators, not even touching the joy (TM WH). Sure enough, the diamond doesn't return to center, it looks like I would pull the stick aft-right about 1/4 of the way down.

But looking at the Adjust controls screen, Axis commands Roll and Pitch axis, Axis tune button, it seems to be dead center in both X and Y. I'm really lost...

Hmm, odd. First thing I'd do is carefully check that only the axes you use for pitch and roll are actually assigned to those functions, since DCS can sometimes be overzealous in assigning default axes. Then try hitting reset in axis tune to be sure a sensitivity curve or slider setting isn't messing it up. Also, I know I already suggested it, but check to be absolutely sure that the button used for trim reset is only bound to that function; the best way to check is to open Control Options, push the trim button, clear the assignment, and then push it again to ensure it doesn't jump to another assignment. If none of that works, I'm not sure I can help beyond suggesting to just delete your control settings for the module :/

Unassigned Trim from joystick button, only used keyboard "T" for trim. This is what my control indicator shows by default, my hands off the controls, joy physically centered.

And problem exist only in Mi-8, every other modul shows dead center, and also if I go into Adjust controls, "Mi-8 Sim", Axis commands, select pitch axis then Axis tune, it shows joy being dead center too.

Controls.png.6d81611ca98ee73507b07d46f42e0ab3.png

Alright, I'll assume you already did everything I suggested. I don't think I can help given the information, but if you want you could post a short track demonstrating the issue, along with a detailed description of exactly what your control inputs are. It might help me or someone else figure out what's up.

Today I tried (idling on the ground) to press trim reset, while looking at the control indicators, not even touching the joy (TM WH). Sure enough, the diamond doesn't return to center, it looks like I would pull the stick aft-right about 1/4 of the way down.

But looking at the Adjust controls screen, Axis commands Roll and Pitch axis, Axis tune button, it seems to be dead center in both X and Y. I'm really lost...

This sounds strange? If reading these post right?

1) It will / should always be centered in the Adjust controls screen.

For the Mi-8 or Ka-50, when you trim this is then a NEW center from where you will now fly the aircraft from. It will not be centered generally ever when I'm flying these aircraft and I never really check to see.

It should be centered when you begin / start a mission and should stay centered when you trim without touching the controls at the start or if you have re centered.

If that's what's happening it's not right.

The reason for checking is to see if you understand the difference / what's actually happening with the trim is after you wrote.

"But looking at the Adjust controls screen, Axis commands Roll and Pitch axis, Axis tune button, it seems to be dead center in both X and Y. I'm really lost..."

Like I said, in game this is a "new center for your stick" on the control indicator. This is a DCS workaround because in a real chopper the controls do not center / have no center, ours do. So ED coded this in so we can set a new center on our "self centering sticks" on the fly, pardon the pun.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Try reinstalling the module?

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Thanks for the various tips for All, but it was just my mistake to think for controls indicator to be on by default in Mi-8, I just need to tick on Special/Control Helper. Which instead pulls my in game virtual stick into hover takeoff position, a.k.a right-aft. And pressing trim just makes it worst. Special thanks to Art-J's PM to find it out.

• 6 months later...

The Mi-8 Trim button doesn't work in DCS 1.5 version anymore. I use the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback stick. You press the button and you hear the click, but it doesn't remove the force feedback; the force on the stick remains, and the centering remains unchanged.

It works ok in DCS 2.5. Push the button and force on the stick is removed; let go and the artificial feel is re-centred where the stick is now positioned.

Why do I still use 1.5? Visibility modelling sucks in version 2.5. I don't know why they had to re-invent the wheel in 2.5. I like scud running at low level in low visibility. Impossible to do with version 2.5, as you still see a horizon and objects appear at a distance greater than what the visibility is set at. You can't actually program a cloud layer lower than 1000 feet (which is a shame), but DCS 1.5 fog option models scattered low stratus clouds, which kind of gives it a realistic look, having been there in real life.

BTW, the force trim works ok on the UH-1H, in both DCS versions 1.5 and 2.5. It replicates what the real Bell 205 felt like, a long time ago.