Community A-4E

Just saw all of the Scooter swag this weekend for the first time. Very much looking fwd to flying the last jet my pops flew in the USMC. Devs, you guys are home running big time, saw the vids on the zero/zero vis canyon run with the radar, love the looks and sounds so far!!

Thanks for all of your hard work!!

~Rob

Semper Fi!

Just saw all of the Scooter swag this weekend for the first time. Very much looking fwd to flying the last jet my pops flew in the USMC. Devs, you guys are home running big time, saw the vids on the zero/zero vis canyon run with the radar, love the looks and sounds so far!!

Thanks for all of your hard work!!

~Rob

I pretty much "meched" A-4s my entire 4 years in the Marine Corps. What unit(s) was your Dad attached to? I also am so looking forward to this module. So many memories.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

My pops flew with VMA-611. I only know that because I have his jacket, and he's not around to ask anymore unfortunately, having passed away this past spring. The patch is round and has a big mace on it with two A-4's streaking off behind it...but the A-4's on the patch have delta wings? Very weird, I mean, I only know they are A-4's because of the electronics hump. If anyone knows anything about them I would love to learn more!! I want to say that he flew with them out of Glenview, IL? Man I wish I had thought to ask him this stuff. Life lesson for everyone who hasn't learned the hard way - they will not always be here tomorrow :-(

He also flew Corsairs in Korea, again I'm not sure what unit, and the only pic I have of him next to one he's standing in front of the wing and you can't see markings. And I know he had time in the AD-4 and the FJ-4B. He told me once that he had tried to get into flying F-4's but didn't get picked up, so he left to fly for United. He also told me he wished he had stayed in, but after having gone to war once he'd had enough. Smart man!! I know he was attached to VMF-214 at some point from seeing pics in his office, that may have been his time in the FJ. There were lots of pics on the walls of that plane, so I assume he really enjoyed it.

Also on his jacket is a patch on the left sleeve, it's a blue diamond with a red hand, and down the middle finger in white letters it says "Korea"!!! Pops was in the service as an active reserve, 2 enlisted starting in 1948, the rest as an O, he was a Major when he got out in 1964.

Edited by Robert31178

Great work, guys!

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My pops flew with VMA-611. I only know that because I have his jacket, and he's not around to ask anymore unfortunately, having passed away this past spring. The patch is round and has a big mace on it with two A-4's streaking off behind it...but the A-4's on the patch have delta wings? Very weird, I mean, I only know they are A-4's because of the electronics hump. If anyone knows anything about them I would love to learn more!! I want to say that he flew with them out of Glenview, IL? Man I wish I had thought to ask him this stuff. Life lesson for everyone who hasn't learned the hard way - they will not always be here tomorrow :-(

Can you take a picture of the patch? I'd love to see it.

Also, it is possible he was assigned to a different squadron while at NAS Glenview?

http://a4skyhawk.org/content/nas-glenview-0

If he was with MARTD (Marine Aviation Reserve Training Detachment) in late 1971 or early 1972, he might have been flying the A-4L which had the avionics hump, though it's possible the patch graphics wouldn't perfectly match the planes they were flying.

--gos

Edited by gospadin

Thanks for sharing.

Served in VMA-343 (FJ-4) before moving on to VMA-121 (A4D-2N)and eventually VMA-311 (A4E). That was 1960 to 1965. The Marine Corps is such a small organization compaired to the other services that there is a better than average chance your dad and I may have crossed paths. Looking forward to this module as it brings back so many memories.

1214551127_VMA-343horozonatal.thumb.jpg.45a5bbc70a9f5d67bfbeb75780b61be9.jpg

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Chief!! Maybe you know him then? His name was Robert G. Mantell, Sr. and he was from Ohio originally.

Gospadin, that's a neato link you posted for us there, and for me. Thank you very much for that. Here's a link to the patch for sale:

http://www.patches-military.com/vma-vmb-vmcj-vmd-vmf-vmfp-vmp-vp-vpb-vs-vt-vu-vx-patches.html

I'll post a pic of it on his jacket here pretty quick, just gotta take one and upload it to my photobucket or whatever. I suppose another thing that would probably be good to do anyways, and posting here made me think of it, is to get a copy of his military record.

Both of you guys, thanks again!!

~Rob

Edited by Robert31178
Added info, spelling error