1.5.2 Huey cockpit appears to not use specular maps.

Tim_Fragmagnet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

So some interesting things have happened.

I got VR back in August, and IMMEDIATELY noticed that the specular maps were working even though they weren't when launched as a regular desktop application. I had done multiple VR On/Off comparisons by eye and can completely confirm it.

I didn't think to take images of this at the time however.

Cut a few months later, after a data storage failure, reinstall windows.

HOWEVER, DCS was stored on a separate drive so its data was never deleted. But all of its configuration and old legacy files from previous versions were, as those were on the system drive which failed.

Now the specular map works in desktop mode as well I believe.

Something to note however, the shininess on the flat part of the dashboard (where all the dials are) requires such a sharp viewing angle to actually show up, that, without VR, you'd never see it. Which is in stark contrast to what I very clearly remember from before the radar altimeter was implemented. Where the sun would shine on the shiny bits under the radio card basically any time it shone there.

Here is such an angle you can get from VR, you can see the scribbley scratchy shiny bit under the IAS ce84f75d3c.png

The only way I can tell it's actually active on the desktop version is because of the way the top cover of the dashboard is shaped.

So while the functionality is there for me now, it would seem that the specular maps now require such sharp viewing angles that the majority of it will probably never be seen.

Perhaps another art pass at the dashboard specular to make the viewing angles more lenient?

Edited by Tim_Fragmagnet