WW2 carrier aircraft maybe?

Hi,

Just watched a video about battle of midway and then I thought that could be great to have naval based aircrafts designed to land and take-off on carriers. On WW2 carriers of course not modern ones.

BTW do we have WW2 carriers already?

Thanks

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

A corsair? I want it. Pappy boyington? Love this :)

Hope they will also add WW2 official carriers then if they add naval planes... And naval missions and campaigns. Even considering maybe Normandy is not the best map for naval ops :) 36644ea447e0a0a5e69ea1fdfd3f4083.jpg

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Can't wait :)

How is leatherneck in plane making? Never got one of theirs. I just own the huey, the sabre, the Mustang, and the spitfire.

Jima project? What's this?

But a dream well worth having! :pilotfly:

Trapping in a Corsair aboard a WWII straight deck carrier would be the wet dream to end all wet dreams!! :thumbup:...........unless it was in a TBF Avenger! Then it would be indescribable!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I prefer the corsair than the avenger because of the wings. More sexy :)

Can't wait :)

How is leatherneck in plane making? Never got one of theirs. I just own the huey, the sabre, the Mustang, and the spitfire.

Leatherneck/Magnitude 3 = Mig-21 bis. Outstanding module IMO.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

On the issue of a WW2 carrier, it is certainly an interesting scenario. But is the Corsair that is being planned the right variant for carrier-ops? The impression I get is that originally, there were a lot of problems with the Corsair and it was only late in the war that the British Royal Navy managed to get it to work successfully from carriers.

Just on the topic of carriers though, I was wondering whether any of the other DCS WW2 aircraft could be used off a carrier. That led me to read up on the Bf 109 T. Given how stunningly difficult it is to land a 109 on solid land, the idea of putting one down on the pitching-deck of the Graf Zeppelin seems utterly insane. It was probably just as well that that ship was never finished.

Indeed in the movie with pappy boyington, they were ground based. :)

On the issue of a WW2 carrier, it is certainly an interesting scenario. But is the Corsair that is being planned the right variant for carrier-ops? The impression I get is that originally, there were a lot of problems with the Corsair and it was only late in the war that the British Royal Navy managed to get it to work successfully from carriers.

Yes, the F4U in development by Leatherneck/M3L is the correct Corsair variant. The F4U-1D and its FAA equivalent operated from USN and RN carriers during the final year of the war.

Wildcat vs A6M combat has good memories for me from other sims. Once you see the F4U it isn't much of a contest.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

With what we already have, I've had a bit of a go at this:

- There's mods for several WW2 carriers, including both US and Japanese. The ones I found were stunning looking, though I believe they lacked a damage model, so you couldn't sink an enemy one

- There's a variety of mods of carrier aircraft around. I found them for an F4 and Zero, both of them based on the Mustang.

- I've tried all of the existing Warbirds on the Ww2 modded carriers that we have. If you're going to try it, my suggestion is that you go with the Spitfire. Primarily because it has a lower stall speed than the others, which is more than a little useful when you have no wire to slow you and those decks are VERY short. This is where the mods based on the Mustang come rather unstuck, as their stall speeds make carrier landing VERY difficult (at least for me, but then I don't rate myself as a good pilot).

Hopefully the upcoming F4 will be a good basis for a number of carrier based mod aircraft and will have good low speed stall manners.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Or I could land on a carrier with my huey :) Will be easier :)

Something I wonder about WW2 carrier ops. The fact there has been dedicated planes for carrier ops in WW2 means had a hook as well to stop at this time as well? Though to take-off they didn't have catapult so the deck was long enough to take-off, but not long enough to land without a hook?

Or si it because it is easier to take-off as you can start from the edge of the deck, whereas when you land you do not always catch the edge?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This is true, a hook is needed for arrested landings. Late war and Korea they used a bridle arrangement with hydraulic cats to assist in getting a Corsair with a huge bomb load off the deck safely.

A lot of thought went into carrier planes. It was mentioned above that the Mustang is less than ideal because of It's stall speed. The Corsair, which is a handful in the pattern, had a stall speed of just above 80kts. Hellcat, Wildcat, TBM all had very low stall speeds too. You couple tjat with a carrier making 20+ knots into the wind and you have an approach closure speed of 50-60kts. Very manageable.

On the Corsair - it doesn't matter which variant comes out, it will always be an accurate timeframe for carrier ops. The Jolly Rogers worked closely with Vought to iron out some of her bad touchdown behavior and were still using it operationally. Also the Brits used it from the time they first received them, they get credit for the work around on approach and pattern to safely use it from a carrier. So with that it could be a -1 birdcage model and still be a "carrier version".

Edited by Robert31178

But a dream well worth having! :pilotfly:

Trapping in a Corsair aboard a WWII straight deck carrier would be the wet dream to end all wet dreams!! :thumbup:...........unless it was in a TBF Avenger! Then it would be indescribable!

+1111111111:thumbup:

<Rant>Anyone who references that abysmal TV program, which shall not be mentioned, should be damned to fly IL-2 1946 for the rest of their days, and my god have mercy on their souls</Rant>

If you'd at least read Boyington's book, you'd know that his story is far from that crap above.

Honestly, if and when Magnitude 3 puts out an F4U-1D Corsair, I will be one of the first to buy it, even if there is no CV to land on at first, or ever--but I think they will probably have one.

But one single carrier based fighter does not a war make. I want to see Hellcats and Helldivers and Avengers. And for opposing aircraft, I don't want to just see an A6M Zeke. I want Kates, Bettys, Vals--I want babes in the skys. And not just the IJN were flying the Pacific. The IJA had their fighters etc.

And what about IJN carriers? The problem with them might is that nearly all of them were single ship classes. So to get 2 IJN CV's you would need 2 distinct models (eg the Taiho and the Shinano), while you couldn't make an USS Essex and change the "decals" to turn it into the USS Franklin or the USS Bunker Hill or whatever.

Although I believe it was implied that an USN CV would be built, I don't recall ever hearing that an IJN CV would be made.

But I've still got a few years to go before I bite the dust--I hope--so maybe I'll be surprised yet.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I don't expect to see any WW2 planes added in my lifetime. I turned 70 last month (thanks ED for the ecard).

Look at what's available for WW2 fans: P51, Spitfire, 109F and 190D, Normandy map. There's a pack called "WW2 Assets" but it only adds AI and tanks.

Unless you want to fly jets ED has little to offer.

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690-E, i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, Trident Z Neo 64Gb (4x16) DDR5 6600 C32, EVO 980 Pro 2Tb M.2 Nvme SSD, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro, MFG Crosswind pedals, Virpil MongoosT-50 throttle, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case, 1200W Asus Platinum G+ PSU, Win10 Pro 64 bit

I wouldn't paint such a bleak picture quite yet. The P-40F could come out of the blue pretty quickly. But having a theater created with a fairly good representation of the aircraft that ought to be available from the timeframe and area... I'm not really counting on it ever happening. I would be overjoyed if it did, but I won't hold my breath.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1