Why no GBU-12s on A-10A?

Scorpion27

I wonder why ED did not put GBU-12s in weapons storage for A-10A? Real Life A-10A could drop GBU-12 on target lased by other aircraft or ground element.

If you are flying DCS A-10A its really irritating, beacuse you still have working PAVE PENNY Laser Spot Search Pod that will show you a dimond (laser spot) on HUD.

LOMAC's A-10A had capability of bringin GBU-12 into fight :thumbup: nad now tis gone :doh:

It is a FC3 aircraft. What do you expect for the small money? You get a bird with decent FM how it was flown in the 80's.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I expect nothin' more than GBU-12 in storage of A-10A...dropped just like Mk-28 in CCRP - nothing really sexy.

Pilot+JTAC will know what to do...to do it right.

Any reports from Dersert Storm or before that it was done?

We had that discussion earlier with the F-15C. Because you can clamp a 500lb bomb under it doesnt mean its done on operational basis.

At least from the public literature I found no evidence of LGB use by A10A during the Desert Storm, even if the plane would be able to find a laser and let some ground troops guide the bomb...

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:megalol: OK FSKRipper-GBU/CAS expert-OK, let it be your way :megalol: :joystick::pilotfly: Dude..just because you have not read about it in Aviation Review (or similar magazine) it does not mean that it had never happened...ever thought about it? Or are you just THE top expert on everything?

I'm just saying that's a big hollow in A-10A capes without GBU-12.

Edited by Scorpion27

:megalol: OK FSKRipper-GBU/CAS expert-OK, let it be your way :megalol: :joystick::pilotfly: Dude..just because you have not read about it in Aviation Review (or similar magazine) it does not mean that it had never happened...ever thought about it? Or are you just THE top expert on everything?

I'm just saying that's a big hollow in A-10A capes without GBU-12.

Nope, I'm no expert. For this we would have to ask Snoopy. BTW I'm not reading magazines…

More user friendly stuff for the holidays…

I could recommend: "Warthog - Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War" by William L. Smallwood

A real good summary about life and the missions were in these times. And from my limited knowledge I would conclude if it isn't in the book (and in any other source) it never happened there…

But if you just want it for the fun side of flying the A version (which I can fully understand) it would be worth an idea to post it in the DCS Wishlist thread.

Edited by FSKRipper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

See, the thing that some people still wanna fly A-10A with actual lack of capes (tgt pod, 38's) and in an old school way of doing things: flying below 10K AGL, search for ground marks, laser spots, working with map etc... and not just relying on 10-digit grids, 15k, and soda straw-pod perspective, droping single GBU-38 at a time.

BTW. All those wartime stories :book: of pilots (numerous books, stories), JTACs (eg.FIRE STRIKE 7/9) at very best they are 50:50 (RL:BS...otherwise they would be simply boaring and would not sell) so chillout your exitement on those "reliable sources". :thumbup:

I totally understand we are all BIG fans of aviation and everyting around it, but let's not argue about some details, that took or not took place in past ( there is soo much "gray" if not even "black" areas in every conflict )

Edited by Scorpion27

Maybe there is a lingual misunderstanding between us. When you are such a great fan of doing it the "old" way with maps and without the fancy JDAM and TGP stuff why using LGB's at all?

Im aware that Stories are first of all stories… but show me one reliable source saying it was done and you got me on your side…

My memory is not the best but since I'm into aviation stuff since the early 90's I'm pretty sure that the DS Warthogs were never loaded with LGB's. Not more not less. I can't tell what was done between the upgrades to the C-version but away from special forces stuff I have problems to understand the benefit of a person which has to crouch in line of sight to an enemy position especially in the planings for a modern day highly mobile battle environment. Maybe I'm going on thin ice here (because I really don't know) but from all stuff I heard only a small number of drops in Afghanistan were buddy lasing (none of which I heard were ground lasings).

I'm open to learn something new if you can get me some information :book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why GBU-12? Because A-10A could bring it.

Why A-10A and not C? Because C model with all its capes is like fast mover (however its slow:huh:) - When flying A-10 at 15K:

- why would you need all that armour?

- why would you need 30mm gun?

- why would you need low speed/alt maneuverability?

C model was developed because of small scale conflicts requirements - no real force-on-force enviroment.

There was a need for long loiter, good situation awareness, good psycho-effect, precise bomb dropping bomb truck with highly skilled crews - so upgrading A-10A with precision weapons and some avionics was the best choice.

In AGF most of drops were BOT because of minimizing collateral damage/or possible mistake.

Edited by Scorpion27

Why GBU-12? Because A-10A could bring it.

Why A-10A and not C? Because C model with all its capes is like fast mover (however its slow:huh:) - When flying A-10 at 15K:

- why would you need all that armour?

- why would you need 30mm gun?

- why would you need low speed/alt maneuverability?

C model was developed because of small scale conflicts requirements - no real force-on-force enviroment.

There was a need for long loiter, good situation awareness, good psycho-effect, precise bomb dropping bomb truck with highly skilled crews - so upgrading A-10A with precision weapons and some avionics was the best choice.

But aren't you asking to do exactly the opposite of your original intention (flying below 10K AGL, search for ground marks, laser spots, working with map etc)

You ask for a weapon that hast to be dropped from a level flight at altitude. It's the same bombtruck stuff that you want to avoid with flying the A-10A :huh:

Don't get me wrong, everybody should have his fun and own wishes. If this makes any sense ED will surely take this into account. I only try to understand why to create something that is obsolete (just in my opinion)... Atm the only reason I get from your posts is "because it could…" which brings us back to the senseless F-15C bomb carrier discussion-because you could… You could also do all this stuff with an A-10C without loading a TGP, JDAMs and all this fancy toys. Nobody forces you to use a moving map, or upgraded ECM's.

Edited by FSKRipper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you have proof of some sort it should have them, share it. Otherwise it's just conjecture.

Well "proof" for the fact that A-10A had GBU-12 in ordnance selection:

- A-10A Non Nuclear Weapons Delivery Manual (T.O 1A-10A-34-1-1): Section I-36 (laser guided bomb delivery); Section II-55 (normal pilot procedures, GBU-10/12 procedures)

- A-10A Aircraft Flight Manual USAF (T.O. 1A-10A-1 ) Figure 5-8 (external stores limitations chart)

- Pinefang replay on this link

- This picture

Edited by Scorpion27