Korn's Huey Cockpit Build

Kornskydiver

I know right! Lol. I was actually stationed down at fort huachuca, Arizona in 2012...it was only an hour south of Tucson. Back then I had a bell 206 pit so it never really crossed my mind to hit up the boneyards.

Looking nice! Not too bad for an MI (Signal?) type! :D

And I may or may not know of someone who somehow ended up with a Cyclic for his shifter after driving into DM. LOL.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Looking nice! Not too bad for an MI (Signal?) type! :D

And I may or may not know of someone who somehow ended up with a Cyclic for his shifter after driving into DM. LOL.

Lol, that's awesome! I saw someone on shapeways I believe that sold plans for a 3d printed cyclic shifter...it actually looked pretty sweet!

I'm actually a MS guy, one of my Soldiers had a cessna 182 that he stored their at the small sierra vista airport. We would fly around on the weekends and I remember flying over those boneyards. The ultimate candy store for simmers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To anyone who hasn't been there, I think they now offer tours. For those who can get in to the post, (well, base since it's AF) all the planes are just sitting out there pretty much in the open. It is pretty amazing to see all those planes. I hear many A10s have joined the boneyard.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Small update today. I was able to push the instrument panel further to the left on the obutto center mount in order for my joystick to lineup correctly with the instrument panel. This allowed me to accurately align my center pedestal to main instrument panel. I also added a temporary copilot seat so that my 5 and 9yr old can fly around as well :). I will probably add one of my saitek joysticks so they can take over control of the aircraft.

This week I plan on making a mdf platform for the entire sim to stand on. I've taken floor measurements from our local Huey and will replicate that as best I can :)

IMG_9892.thumb.JPG.166923c61df8f25020649319e807e80e.JPG

Edited by Kornskydiver

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is just great. Getting better and better.

You decided yet on which collective you want to go in the future?

Are you actually planning on putting two seats in the cockpit? :)

Looking forward for more :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

This is just great. Getting better and better.

You decided yet on which collective you want to go in the future?

Are you actually planning on putting two seats in the cockpit? :)

Looking forward for more :)

Thanks!

I still haven't made a decision on controls yet. Waiting to see what Hegykc comes up with..the collective head he built not too long ago looks amazing.

The plan is to put two seats in this rig. Below are a few pics/ideas I came across online. I picked up some mdf today and plan to get the platform started this weekend. I also plan to install some LED light strips underneath the platform to give it some flare. After that, I'll start working on the frame of the cabin.

IMG_0045.JPG.d8fc39862ec3e7de079a748e6008b600.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG.49d81a71220c32ee4bcf6bc73b0e10bf.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the platform finished. It was a real pain in the a@@ trying to work around the obutto rig this time but it ended working out. I used 3/4" MDF and mounted it ontop of a frame of 2x2"s. It rides lower than what I would have liked but maybe later down the road I can redo the frame using 4x4's to bring it more off the ground.

A few things still planed for the platform is adding a rubber a mat and some LED light strips underneath the MDF for some added flare.

I also added a Huey seat that a fellow simmer hooked me up with. Its one of the seats flim designed and I have to say it looks real nice! I wouldnt mind picking one up from flim to complete the set but he doesn't seem to be responding to messages these days. Overall things are progressing slowly but nicely. Till next time gents...have a great week!

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.2460eaaea28df27c2fb12c2edbc7994e.JPG

IMG_0030.thumb.JPG.809713525c59cf2498b1b35bb7c70c09.JPG

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't forget to video the destruction of your pit with a baseball bat when you get your occulus ;)

no no no you can't do that to huey even a home cockpit :no_sad:

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I wanted to get some of your feedback on a armored huey seat I came across locally. I am debating if I should purchase it or not. Its in pretty rough shape but nothing some black paint cant fix. Its extremelly sturdy and heavy but I will need to build a base for it. The seller is asking for $100 but I can also build one for alot less. What do you guys think? Should I pick it up or just build one?

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.1d98f003b7861930895d7a19d93f5403.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the input fellas. I've given it some sought and I think I'm going to go with the actual seat. I did the cost analysis and it would have cost me about $60 dollars to make one (plywood, box of screws, bottle of wood glue and paint) plus about 3-4 hours to build it. Having a real seat will look pretty sweet and I can take measurements of it to share it with the community if they would like to build one. This seat in particular is missing the armored "wings" but it should be easy to replicate them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Couple updates to report: I started working on the cabin today and made some progress. Next will be working on the structure that will hold the overhead console. Once the structure/skeleton is complete, I will begin with adding thin aluminum panels for the skin and painting everything OD Green.

I ended up buying that armored huey seat so the next few days I will be giving it a good clean and some fresh paint. I planned on adding the sliders from the obutto seat but the entire seat is lined with steal so its going to be a pain in the ass trying to mount those badboys.

IMG_0411.thumb.JPG.cc0551ea6b1bee2142bea55878d8634a.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That thing doesnt look as comfortable as the old chair :). But I guess thats immersion ;-)

Good looking pit. Only big thing missing is the fitting UH1 Cyclic/collective :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

and the rotors. I fully expect to see working rotors at this rate! ;)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---