Kneeboard and F10 map improvements

KlarSnow

There is a lot of space in the F10 map and kneeboard card for improvement. One of the biggest pains in this game is when you have to hop back and forth between the F10 map and the 3d world to input coordinates, or go to the F10 map, copy down onto a sheet of paper your coordinates, make sure they are in the correct format for whatever jet you are flying, and then hop back into the 3d world and enter in the data.

The kneeboard card has the ability to pull data from markpoints/systems in the jet as has been shown by several third party modules. Here are a couple of suggestions for the base game to make such functionality much more user friendly.

Make a scratchpad or notes card with 2-3 blank sheets. Link the scratchpad to the F10 map and set it to only put in coordinates using the current players jets format.

Ideal flow would be you are on the F10 map, you either drop a markpoint on the map, or ideally you have a right click menu with the option "Add to kneeboard". When you do this whatever your cursors coordinates are get dumped in the correct format for your aircraft into the scratchpad or notes card of the kneeboard.

Make an option or a dropdown so when you add to kneeboard you can choose either add coords, add target, or add MGRS, that way it can automatically change the precision/format of the coordinates added.

Multiples of these should be able to be added to the notes/scratchpad kneeboard, so that ideally you can go to the F10 map once, add all the points you want to manually enter, and then hop back to the cockpit, bring up your kneeboard, and then start plugging away. Should be added in a list format with say 10-20 slots available, and as you add more, it starts to overwrite them.

This should also be combined with radio communications. So if a JTAC reads out a coordinate either through a comm menu option (readback/add to notes) or for example clicking on the coordinates in the text readout of the radio message in the upper left, you can add a CAS target/coordinates given to the scratchpad/notes page.

If this would be considered overpowered in some manner, make adding these notes other than thru comms only possible while on the ground to represent preplanning.

This should also be possible for any ingame entities, airfields, navaids, tacans, carriers, etc...

Right click on it, hit add data to kneeboard, and then ideally if you selected an airfield, it pulls that airfields chart to the top of the kneeboard pile, just underneath the scratchpad that has the applicable navaids, runway headings and airfield frequencies. Same goes for carriers and AWACS, right click on the entity in the F10 map, and it dumps the comm/navaid channels into your kneeboard/scratchpad.

Ideally this could eventually be pulled into the DTC/ mission planning whenever that arrives, so you can quickly build up a navigation card by right clicking and adding various points as waypoints to your kneeboard/ DTC/ flight plan etc while on the ground, and then load them up once you crank the jet.

Good ideas!

For now I use the scratchpad addon (LCtrl+LShift+X) which opens an window in game that you can write (type) coordinates and information (from F10 map or auditory information) and then easily reference that information while in the aircraft.

Best part about that, is that it saves the information even after you close DCS, so it's there when you reopen the game.

This is exceptionally helpful for me in the Hornet (as the MP server I fly in doesn't have preset waypoints due to the dynamic nature of the server/mission).

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

You are kinda thinking into that direction about the F10 map having big potential to improvement, however my idea is quite a bit different as the improvement idea of the F10 Map is suitable more for a different kind of use than a pilot him self, to be more realistic, because yeah, all of this is infact a cheat, any kind of use of the F10 map.

But it's a bit of a wall of text so it'll take time for me to write it out and post it in the wishlist section. However no my idea does not involve disallowing F10 map, perhaps as an extension to just be more indicated that it is a bonus thing but that becomes a separate topic.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria