Add the Ability to Save and Load Mission Progress

SharpeXB

• 1 month later...
A very great obstacle to playing campaigns and more complex missions in DCS is that the sim lacks the ability for a player to save their progress. This makes longer and more realistic, immersive missions completely unapproachable for the average player. Not many people have an hour+ of time they can continually devote to a game. And every other game genre on the market had a save system. Whether save slots or checkpoints, no other game forces a player to lose long amounts of progress. It's one of the chief reasons I think flight sims in general don't sell very well. Their gameplay isn't approachable. DCS is now offering DLC campaigns which are very well done but without this functionality, I don't believe many players will be able to appreciate them.

The game engine has the ability to save progress already because it can recall entire missions as tracks which can actually be taken over to resume play, except you need to fast forward through the whole part before. Just change this to a snapshot of time.

This is a really critical feature if ED wants to sell campaigns and also increase the appeal of the sim in general. Full featured sim aircraft deserve more than just quick missions. But long realistic flights demand the ability to save and resume.

There could be different methods in the ME and the designer could choose options. Maybe the saves occur at waypoints, or after certain objectives, or at will or not at all if that level of challenge is a goal.

ED won't succeed reaching a broader base of players or succeed in selling campaigns without a system like this.

LoL some funny replies :lol:

But will this ever be the case especially over the next few updates.

I mean how possible/difficult to patch this as an inbuilt feature to work as it should!

From discussions online its no more than a few lines of code to be able to have a SAFE MISSION function.

It is a game-play functionality feature sorely missing and game-breaking for a air combat sim when creating your own missions.

I hope to read a defo fix in next change-log Please!

After reading this............ https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185412 :cry:

Edited by WRAITH
  • Like 1

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

+1

This is a HUGE oversight and I also am not sure why this has not been implemented yet.

Apart from the obvious convenience, it would make a big difference in getting new users willing to adopt DCS as their flight sim and lead to more sales.

I understand the need to focus on the "big" things but DCS has reached a point where there are just SO MANY little things that need attention that they now just fall under the radar and never seem to get any attention at all.

I would have hoped that with the 2.0 alpha out so long now, that we would see these type of issues implemented there already. Here's hoping they get some love... "soon™"

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

• 6 months later...
Definitely a must have for those of us with small children that get in the way of long playing sessions.

^this

Since our twins were born in April, I pretty much needed to stop flying DCS missions because of the missing save feature.

I don't expect being able to save and restore the action in the midst of a dogfight, but at least the possibility to jump in with my mission progress saved and with reasonable accuracy regarding position and aircraft state.

Cheers,

Matthias

Did this feature just get added in the last update? My PC is down so I can’t check for myself. This sounds like a “save game” feature.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3304547&postcount=61

“Added special "END MISSION" button to save progress in campaign in the Debriefing window.”

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Campaign mechanics are different, sorry.

What exactly does “save progress in campaign“ mean above? What’s the function related to campaigns?

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Please add a save function, even for people with time on their hands. This still needs to be a basic feature in any game where a mission can last more than 30 minutes. Most of the missions I played in the A10 campaign can last for hours if you want to return to base and rearm again. Pretty please :) Being able to park up in the Huey and save, then return for more later would be a dream for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was really hoping this would show up in 2.5, but alas...

Can we at least get some word back whether this is in progress, or if it is not being considered for whatever reason?

There are some wonderful story driven campaign missions out there, but there is little more infuriating than flying the first hour of one of them several times just to get through the last 5 mins...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 5 weeks later...

AGAIN I'm reminded why this is needed.

After an hour of working through a mission, Oculus runtime decides to crash. DCS is still working, but I can't get the headset to turn on again without a reboot of Oculus runtime, which won't start when DCS is running.

So, I have to ABANDON an hour of mission progress so I can shut DCS down and restart Oculus. I SHOULD be able to just save my mission, correct the problem, and resume where I left off.

Why is something so simple proving to be so difficult? Can we get ANY kind of acknowledgment from devs whether this is coming or not?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

Here also asking for this. Come on Eagle Dynamics!!! it is not so hard to implement this one!!!

With Daws I can save the situation, but I have to start again from base with the planes or helicopters... no good enough.

I just saw somewhere in a Q&A here that ED might consider it if it’s not too difficult. Hopefully they do.

Here it is:

Q. Will there ever be a save game option midflight? This will be a game changer for me.. I have 2 kids and i really need to get away from pc during long flights. – Hreich

A. Technically tricky but let’s see.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3465510&postcount=1

Edited by SharpeXB

• 1 month later...

It's so frustrating playing long missions especially you have to fly all the way from airfield.

I can't imagine this to be any difficult feature to implement. Just save all the state vector (Location, velocity and acceleration) then bunch of other information.

I sometimes have to quit, watch track, time forward and take control. But track playback is even messed up at this point. I don't understand the logic behind saving control inputs instead of state vectors besides saving disk space. But disk spaces are cheap nowadays.

So ED, fix at least one of them.

Edited by jackshen

It's so frustrating playing long missions especially you have to fly all the way from airfield.

I can't imagine this to be any difficult feature to implement. Just save all the state vector (Location, velocity and acceleration) then bunch of other information.

The "bunch of other information" is the big big one here!! (Location, velocity and acceleration) that's easy just like those civi sims.

DCS on the other hand has many AI aircraft on combat missions, firing missiles at each other, dogfighting and mission builders with many triggers setup to trigger other actions when A, B, C or D happens or doesn't happen etc.

Not to mention all the ground war too. Artillery firing, large tank battles with different damage states.

Now save as? If ED can pull this off it would be something indeed.:huh:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The "bunch of other information" is the big big one here!! (Location, velocity and acceleration) that's easy just like those civi sims.

DCS on the other hand has many AI aircraft on combat missions, firing missiles at each other, dogfighting and mission builders with many triggers setup to trigger other actions when A, B, C or D happens or doesn't happen etc.

Not to mention all the ground war too. Artillery firing, large tank battles with different damage states.

Now save as? If ED can pull this off it would be something indeed.:huh:

I don't think these other information is hard , if consider just data structures in memory.

I'm a programmer myself that why I make this argument.

• 3 months later...

Bump...

Please ED consider this one. Some Campaign missions are just too lengthy, or otherwise campaign designers need to consider this fact.

Bottom line, many more DLC campaigns would be sold if players had more flexibility in completing them.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still pretty new to DCS and ACT in general and I'm trying out the BFM campaign. In this specific case, the >15min flight to the training range over & over again is really off-putting and boring.

Please implement this, it would make the game SO much more playable, instead of wasting 90% of all the time I put into just flying around which is learning me nothing.

I agree 1000%

I have experienced all the above mentionned reasons to implement this myself

...and just even for the sake of pleasure!!

I recall one particular campaign that I did abandon because I had to fly for 15 minutes to get somehere where I was systematically shot down and I really wanted to try different tactics to get better.. but after having to cold start and fly for 15 minutes everytime.. i just let it go... bummer...

Pleasee ED, listen to this request!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Here's what used to work perfectly for me to exactly fulfill the wish mentioned here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=192588

If any of you is able to help repair this mod, then please do so.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Like I've said before, this would be really nice for cooperative MP.

It wouldn't even need to be exact; human planes could just be despawned when the mission is saved. The important thing is that destroyed land units and AI planes would stay destroyed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...