Damage model changed?

Gianky

Hey there!

Yesterday night, during a mission, I took 3 SA-18, in rapid sequence and, except some cosmetic damage on the left wing, there was no consequence at all.

Usually, just one SA-18 was enough to have systems fail, so I'm wondering: is this working as intended? Have something been changed in the last update? Have the Hornet become almost immortal like the Falcon?

Before you ask, btw, I have no track of it, only the tacview recording.

Online yesterday, all 5 F-18s I saw hit by Strela/Tor/SA10 were turned to wingless tube in one hit, as normal.

Maybe you are just unusually lucky, or only one hit. They do miss a lot.

I'm happy your survived a missile hit, I hope to one day.

Have the Hornet become almost immortal like the Falcon?

Really.....Viper is immortal ? Lol

I don't know what DCS version you're playing but call me unlucky one because everytime I got hit both in Hornet and Viper it was like 99% instant death. Since this this lockdown I've been playing DCS everyday (MP only).

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Really.....Viper is immortal ? Lol

It was a hyperbole, of course, but it's a well known fact that, when it came out, the Falcon didn't have a damage model and, if I'm not mistaken, even today it's not complete yet (IIRC, Wags mentioned they're working on it in the last Viper update).

That said, I must have been very lucky because, at least watching the tacview track, all three missiles hit me and I got away with barely a scratch. Since, as I said and you're confirming, usually just 1 SA-18 is enough to squash a Bug, I was wondering if that was a (software) bug, or just a stroke of luck. Looks like it's the latter, I'll keep trying to avoid missiles, then!

EDIT: DCS version is last available OB (March 31st 2020).

Edited by Gianky

Couple of days ago i was ground pounding with the Hornet and came under AAA fire. I killed a few ground units and was glad to get away without any hits by enemy AA as there were all systems operational and nothing was damaged. I thought. A few miles away from the target i saw my fuel running as if i had fuel dump activated. I switched to the fuel DDI page and checked F2 and realised these Shilkas had perforated my internal fuel tanks as there were bullet holes splattered all over the aircraft. Haven't experienced this before so i guess the damage model has been improved. At least a little bit.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2