Let's talk the P-51 in combat in DCS - Page 27 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #261
Snapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytotheD View Post
I’ve found that using WEP can be a little hit and miss; for the most part I don’t have issues with it as long as I stay fast, enough to keep temps from going above red line. Every so often it will go bang on me while flying fast and I’ve yet to determine the cause. Speaking of things breaking, did the new DM go live? I accidentally crashed while testing the new sounds and saw a bunch of equipment failures that I didn’t know could fail.
WEP causes the engine inn the P51D to fail seemingly randomly no matter how you fly after using it. E.G. you use WEP for 5 minutes and then reduce to cruise settings the engine will still die at a random point. The engine will even break when the plane has been landed and shut down. It's been a long time since I have bothered to test it so things could have changed. But considering the pace of development I wouldn't get my hopes up on any improvements.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #262
Snapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapi View Post
I have done these three tests:

1) I started my test at 10 000 ft with both coolers in green. Then I started to increase RPM to 3000 and MP to 61" + WEP = cca 63-65" and fly this for 4 minutes. I did not allow coolers much out of green (controlled them manually if needed) and never allowed them to cross the red mark. After 4 mins of WEP I decrease MP to 46" and RPM to 2700. Then I continued to fly for another 20 minutes with this cruise setting without any problem.

2) The same as above but this time with checked "Random system failures" (Settings - Misc.). Again, no problem at all for 20 min after using WEP.

3) The same as 2) but this time in the altitude of only 3 000 ft. In this altitude, I have precisely MP 67" thanks to the WEP. And again, for 20 mins after using WEP no problem at all.

My conclusion: using WEP is safe in case the pilot do not allow temps of the coolers to rise outside green.
It's random, just because you tested for 20minutes doesnt mean its fine. If your lucky you can empty the tanks before it happens. The reason I have not bothered to test it because it takes multiple hour+ long flights to see if it happens.

Last edited by Snapage; 03-25-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #263
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
It's random, just because you tested for 20minutes doesnt mean its fine. If your lucky you can empty the tanks before it happens. The reason I have not bothered to test it because it takes multiple hour+ long flights to see if it happens.
I tested it recently month ago, Got my engine blown off in 6-7 min of flight.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #264
fencible

Default a little tip for P-51D drivers

I'm not sure how many people understand that with a 1,600 mile range on the P-51D, you only need about 30% fuel to have the endurance of a spitfire with full fuel load. The online dogfighting multiplayer servers I've been on usually set the P-51D fuel load up over 60% - so your aircraft is carrying a big weight disadvantage when you engage in low-level dogfights 3 minutes after taking off.

Take far less fuel. The P-51D is optimized for high altitude dogfights 24K+, were it will have a big advantage over opponent aircraft (except maybe the FW-190D, which was also optimized for high altitude performance, with the extra long wings for more lift in thin air), so don't be surprised when it is not at its' best at 1500 feet. Learn to use a lick or two of flaps when maneuvering in a fight, too (and don't forget to remove them when the turn ends) - the real P-51D pilots used their flaps in dogfights. The flaps are hydraulic and can be mapped to the HOTAS for quick easy access.

It should go without saying that you must learn to monitor and react to oil temperatures during a fight. Map radiator controls to your HOTAS - I only use the AUTO and OPEN functions for coolant and oil - run on AUTO mostly until you see the oil temp getting high - then hold the OPEN switch for 8 to 10 seconds to get it back down. If temps get below the green range switch back to AUTO. It seems that oil temperature is the more critical and volatile than coolant temp.

With the bullet dispersion formulae and ammo type loadouts finally corrected in the last open-beta release, the P-51D in DCS is now a hot, hard-hitting, and effective dogfighter in multi-player.

Last edited by fencible; 03-27-2020 at 01:24 PM.
fencible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #265
amazingme

In DCS is far more better than the real life counterpart.
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #266
konate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencible View Post
With the bullet dispersion formulae and ammo type loadouts finally corrected in the last open-beta release, the P-51D in DCS is now a hot, hard-hitting, and effective dogfighter in multi-player.
Good to hear.
konate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #267
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
In DCS is far more better than the real life counterpart.
Evidence please? And no, not going to get into a slanging match with you this time, just asking.