Is it possible to limit the FPS to 30 in the Rift S

Fisherman82

Hello, I have got a Rift S and wonder if its possible to limit the FPS to 30. I have tried in the Nvidia Control Panel but it still tries to reach 40. I dont think I would mind going down to 30, at least I would like to try.

What I dont like is when it fluctuates from 40 to 37 and 35 and so on. That causes stutter. It never goes below 30 with the settings I have now.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

Did you apply the frame rate limiter in nVidia Control Panel specifically to the DCS executable, or did you just try it globally?

I added it to the DCS exe and it works fine for me (though that's for my g-sync monitor, not VR, but I don't think it should matter)

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Did you apply the frame rate limiter in nVidia Control Panel specifically to the DCS executable, or did you just try it globally?

I added it to the DCS exe and it works fine for me (though that's for my g-sync monitor, not VR, but I don't think it should matter)

Yes I did it for DCS only, not globaly

Hello, I have got a Rift S and wonder if its possible to limit the FPS to 30. I have tried in the Nvidia Control Panel but it still tries to reach 40. I dont think I would mind going down to 30, at least I would like to try.

What I dont like is when it fluctuates from 40 to 37 and 35 and so on. That causes stutter. It never goes below 30 with the settings I have now.

No.

Rift S is an 80 Hz device, designed to run at either 80 fps or 40 fps (ASW). ASW interpolates every other frame to accommodate the 80 Hz video.

If it drops much below 40 fps, going to stutter.

You want to adjust graphics to give yourself min of 40 fps to have a smooth experience.

80 fps will give no artifacts. You won't be able to maintain 80 fps in DCS though with current technology.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Have you tried using the Oculus Debug Tool? You can set Asynchronous Spacewarp to Auto and it will limit your frame rate.

It says it limits it to 45 fps; however, with my setup I'm limited to 40 fps and it's very steady. :detective:

I am using the ASW to 45 in the Oculus Tray Tool so my max is 40. I tried the rivatuner as SebastianR wrote and that actually worked, however the result was not so good.

After a couple of days of testing different settings I have settled on running it at the following settings:

MSAA x2 (cant be without it because it looks horrible)

Pixel density 1.2

Anisotropic filtering 16x

shadows medium, terrain shadows flat, global cockpit illumination off

visibility range medium, trees 75%, water medium, preload radius max.

When testing this it I take the Viggen at a morning mission and fly it max afterburner through the canyons as low as possible and look out to the sides. At PD 1.2 and these settings it is mostly steady 40fps, just very rare drops with some small stuttering.

If I could I would like to use PD 1.3, I think the difference in clarity is pretty big between 1.2 and 1.3, its feels better for the focus of my eyes. With 1.3 i get more stutter when looking out the sides though, but actually not so much more than if I try PD 1.4. The wierd thing is that It does not happen every time I look out the side, it seems pretty random, even if I turn mirrors of. I cant pinpoint what is causing it, if its simply to high PD but when flying higher I have no problems at all, its constant 40 fps.

I have a i5 9600K, MSI GTX 1080 8GB and 32GB RAM. DCS on SSD.

What settings should I be able to run the Rift S do you think? Is PD 1.2 the limit or is there some setting in Nvidea that I could change to avoid the stuttering when looking at the fast moving threes so I should be able to cram out PD 1.3?

Im running the stable version 2.5.5.

Hello, I have got a Rift S and wonder if its possible to limit the FPS to 30.

You can set different ASW modes using the OculusDebugToolCLI.exe in your Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics folder. The following additional modes are available:

• asw.Auto - Enables auto ASW operation // This is actually the default mode
  • asw.Clock18 - Simulates an extrapolated 18 Hz display
  • asw.Clock30 - Simulates an extrapolated 30 Hz display
  • asw.Clock45 - Simulates an extrapolated 45 Hz display (Clock45)
  • asw.Off - Disables any ASW operation
  • asw.Phase45 - Simulates an extrapolated broken 45 Hz display (Phase45)
  • asw.Sim45 - Simulates app 45 Hz rendering (Force45fps)

Especially the asw.Clock30 (ASW On 30 fps) mode might be useful for systems that are not able to maintain 45 fps (40 fps for Rift S) but need smooth gameplay (e.g. flight sims). Only downside is you will get ghosting on cockpit edges with fast head movements, so YMMV.

Modes can be switched by entering 'server:asw.clock30' in the command line interface.

I actually made a Voiceattack profile allowing me to switch models on the fly.

Note that these values are for the Rift. On the Rift S setting ASW to clock30 effectively results in a 27 fps frame limit.

It would be interesting to know what pixel density some of you others are able to squeeze out of your graphics cards and what cards you use and if you are using MSAA. Im on 2.5.5 so what you could run in that is most interesting.

I’m on a 2070 RTX and run MSAA x2 and PD 1.2.

Setting PD to 1.4 results in too many drops below 40 fps and losing the the MSAA is too much degrading in image quality.

Nota that I almost exclusively fly in SP.

I’m on a 2070 RTX and run MSAA x2 and PD 1.2.

Setting PD to 1.4 results in too many drops below 40 fps and losing the the MSAA is too much degrading in image quality.

Nota that I almost exclusively fly in SP.

That seems to be the same situation that I have with my GTX 1080, and those cards are pretty close in performance as far as I know. Wonder what PD it would be possible to squeeze out with a 2080 super, if it would be worth the cost.