HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

Buckeye. We get you like pimax.

All we ask is you stick to the facts when posting on this thread. You appear to be making it up as you go along.

"No ipd adjustment". WRONG.

"110 degrees FoV". WRONG.

Eh, I highlighted both of HP’s biggest shortcuts on the Reverb (and what I feel are clearly it’s biggest shortcomings vs its current competition), not sure where the issue with that is?

If you want to circlejerk without interruption, with no opposing thoughts, opinions or questions, go to the HP forums and do it there.

The fact of the matter is there is no perfect HMD available and it’s all about making a decision on which option you’re willing to trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I am getting the same currently around 45, 30 on the ground, but it is smooth and I have no issues tracking or feeling sick.

I would look at it like investing in the future, ED have talked about vulcan and I would like to think once we do see it frames would improve for VR and make using the next gen headsets more viable.

I am very interested in reverb, I hope we see more reveals and eventually users with hands on reviews

+1

Like I was saying, its much easier to upgrade individual hardware components as CPU and GPU technology advances than it is to give an HMD higher-resolution displays than what it came with.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

As I said, that fixes the stereo effect, so you won't have to unnaturaly cross your eyes. But if your pupils are not in the place where the lenses focus the light - good luck with fixing that in software.

Guys, it's not magic, it's optics. There are already many headsets with software IPD adjustments on the market (psvr and most wmr headsets). Go check out how they work.

The only variable here in layman's terms, is the size of "sweet spot", which depends on the lenses shape and size. It's quite possible that it will be a tad bigger than in current headsets, maybe at a cost of other things. But it's just something that requires attention, and needs case by case evaluation. Especially if your IPD is different than 63-64.

Well the rifts lenses are fixed, dunno about other HMD's but I'd guess most of them are too. Plus the Reverb "claims" to have a big ol sweet spot due to their square circle lens design. So instead of ****ing with a manual lever, I use a slider on the screen to do the same thing for IPD adjustment.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well the rifts lenses are fixed, dunno about other HMD's but I'd guess most of them are too.

Neither original rift, vive, pimax 5k, or odyssey+ have fixed lenses. Cosmos also looks like it will have adjustable IPD.

By "f ****ing with a manual lever" you move the lenses and change how light travels from screen to your eyes. Software slider will only move the image on the screen behind them (purple line on the picture below), but it won't change the place where the light is focused. Two different things, no matter what the marketing department says.

KqiShqE.png

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Neither original rift, vive, pimax 5k, or odyssey+ have fixed lenses. Cosmos also looks like it will have adjustable IPD.

By "f ****ing with a manual lever" you move the lenses and change how light travels from screen to your eyes. Software slider will only move the image on the screen behind them (purple line on the picture below), but it won't change the place where the light is focused. Two different things, no matter what the marketing department says.

KqiShqE.png

Got it.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

All these headsets also feature 2 screens. One informs of every eye. They too move when adjusting to yourIPD. This ensures that all of the screen is visible to everybody independent of the IPD.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Eh, I highlighted both of HP’s biggest shortcuts on the Reverb (and what I feel are clearly it’s biggest shortcomings vs its current competition), not sure where the issue with that is?

If you want to circlejerk without interruption, with no opposing thoughts, opinions or questions, go to the HP forums and do it there.

The fact of the matter is there is no perfect HMD available and it’s all about making a decision on which option you’re willing to trade off.

For me, my IPD is basically the default (62 and some change vs 63 in the headset), and I massively value PPD over FOV at the moment. The Reverb's PPD should finally get us somewhere near the visibility you get from a 1080p monitor, depending on how you set it up. E.G. a 24 inch 1080p screen spaced 1ft in front of your face would have a PPD of 23.4, Reverb is apparently 25PPD (though I've not seen that 100% confirmed yet). I care most of all about being able to see the cockpit clearly, which isn't possible on headsets like the Odyssey (it's good, just not clear enough to always read MFDs/dials without zooming).

FOV is secondary to me and comes with its own challenges - the higher the FOV, the more stuff is visible and the more taxing it is on the frame rate. I'm willing to wait for hardware to catch up to increase the FOV at a higher level of clarity. We do have to make a trade-off, and I think the Pimax 5K+ and the Reverb represent the peak of what's possible for both approaches - the Reverb is probably as detailed an image as we can get with current hardware on a standard FOV, and the Pimax is as high an FOV as we can get with current hardware with a slight detail bump. Obviously it's horses for courses, but for people who value FOV or who value clarity, I think their respective choices are obvious - and it's a great thing that we have that choice!

this will be my next HMD :)

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Does anyone else notice absolutely NO difference adjusting mechanical IPD in VR? I've owned the Vive, Vive Pro, Rift, Odyssey, Odyssey+, and Pimax5k now. Adjusting the IPD with the mech adjustments does nothing other than narrow/widen my field of view, it has no other effect on how the image looks. It just makes the view look a little more/less like looking through binoculars, but that's it. NBD either way for me, IPD adjustments make no difference in clarity/etc for me, none at all.

Is this common, or just me?

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

It definitely changes how sharp I see the Oculus calibration cross and small text. In 3D game, looking around, the difference is not as obvious at the first sight, but it's there.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Does anyone else notice absolutely NO difference adjusting mechanical IPD in VR? I've owned the Vive, Vive Pro, Rift, Odyssey, Odyssey+, and Pimax5k now. Adjusting the IPD with the mech adjustments does nothing other than narrow/widen my field of view, it has no other effect on how the image looks. It just makes the view look a little more/less like looking through binoculars, but that's it. NBD either way for me, IPD adjustments make no difference in clarity/etc for me, none at all.

I was thinking that too. I just chalked it up to "I must be the average" and it doesn't hurt or help much. I mean I do line up the cross hairs as best I can. But then I'm also thinking that my Astigmatism is getting in the way.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I find that if I get it just right, it makes the placards in the cockpit a little bit sharper. Certainly not a show stopping difference though. But, the more critical alignment I have noticed is the vertical. Doesn't take much vertical displacement of the lenses in my Rift to make things start to get blurry. That's easy to adjust though, we just pull the HMD down a little further. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

My IPD is 67 so should be OK for software alignment. For those with such need should be made some DIY modification like in this example with Lenovo Explorer WMR or some people do it with Pimax 4K in the past.

Other is a suggestion for HMD production. They say the problem is with physical IPD adjustment increasing cost of production and additional weight.

They should do some easy assembly here will be possible to manually single time is possible to adjust this IPD just by having the larger elliptic hole for a screw. That way you could just loosen such screw move lens left or right and then tighten a screw and fixed it to the new needed IPD. If you are not confident to do by you should be cheap but easily doable in the nearest mobile service. This is anyway consumer version and once done by your own need should stay that way perfectly adapted to the customer need.

I have the Vive, and use the IPD adjusted all the way in. If I adjust it out, not even very far (don't remember the numbers), it becomes really uncomfortable, and straining, if all the way out, the Vive is completely unusable for me.

So, I do hope the Reverb will have mechanical adjustments as its looking to be my next HMD at this time, as Fakebook, HTC, & Valve, seem to have no interest in producing a next generation PC HMD.

I'm with you, I get lots of eye strain if I don't have the IPD dialed in. I think this varies greatly person to person.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I have the Vive, and use the IPD adjusted all the way in. If I adjust it out, not even very far (don't remember the numbers), it becomes really uncomfortable, and straining, if all the way out, the Vive is completely unusable for me.

So, I do hope the Reverb will have mechanical adjustments as its looking to be my next HMD at this time, as Fakebook, HTC, & Valve, seem to have no interest in producing a next generation PC HMD.

Well, you can hope in one hand, and you know what in the other. :)

As reported the Reverb IPD will be software adjustable not mechanical with a much larger eye-box/sweet spot based on its "square-circle" type optics which can supposedly accommodate more people. At the end of the day, we won't really know if its any good until some actual real-world reviews come out about it.

I don't think a consumer solution will ever be the sort of thing that the guy is doing in the video. Enthusiasts and desperate people might be willing to do that. But Veronica VR just wants her headset to work out of the box.

Gee, that kinda it makes it a no go :cry: . I'd have to be able to spend some time using one before I'd consider purchasing one with that said.

Looking like maybe HTC Cosmos, or Valve Index now.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-teases-index-vr-headset-for-may/

Might be relevant to your interests. Very intentional, I’d say, with the angle of the shot on the IPD adjustment wheel

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

https://uploadvr.com/valve-teases-index-vr-headset-for-may/

Might be relevant to your interests. Very intentional, I’d say, with the angle of the shot on the IPD adjustment wheel

The IPD adjustment knob and FOV seem to be the focus of their current ad campaign, which makes me wonder if it has any other advantages. We'll have to wait and see if the display resolution improvement is worth it, or if the focus on the IPD knob is like a Fiat commercial focusing on cup holders. :)

The IPD adjustment knob and FOV seem to be the focus of their current ad campaign, which makes me wonder if it has any other advantages. We'll have to wait and see if the display resolution improvement is worth it, or if the focus on the IPD knob is like a Fiat commercial focusing on cup holders. :)

Yeah obviously they are targeting the Rift S market, with the Rift S having no hardware IPD adjustment and the smaller FOV.

They have certainly perked my interest.

Going to have some nice devices soon to choose from. Rift S starting to tumble toward the bottom in that consideration on my end.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The only thing that I will miss about the Rift is using the touch controllers in DCS. I’ve gotten used to having one by each hand to grab and manipulate switches, much more convenient.

My understanding is that DCS doesn’t support WMR controllers yet, so it’ll be back to trying to hold my head steady to click that tiny switch with the mouse.

Worth it for the resolution though, I think.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Well if its Vive pro res with a wider FOV that means a lower PPD than the Pro.

Gee, that kinda it makes it a no go :cry: . I'd have to be able to spend some time using one before I'd consider purchasing one with that said.

Looking like maybe HTC Cosmos, or Valve Index now.

I think the current focus on IPD with these sets is pretty speculative, I think we are going to have to wait for someone to actually try one. And at a guess, unless you have the IPD of Stewie Griffin you are probably fine.

350?cb=20150629144457