Zoom on axis problem between 2D and 3D

Lange_666

In 2D my Throttle Slider-axis is bond to the Zoom. Works pretty fine.

In 3D zoom is not linear but only has 3 settings, Normal View (F1) , VR-Zoom and VR-Zoom-Magnifier (or spyglass depending on the aircraft) and i needed something else.

The solution was this:

KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, AXMAP2(LIST(0,37,42,77,82,100), VR_Zoom_Magnifier, 0, VR_Zoom, 0, PULSE+F1_Cockpit_view));

This way the 3 actions are +/- equally spread over the axis range, works nice in 3D.

But not in 2D. Since my script is also running in 2D it outputs the VR_Zoom_Magnifier and VR_Zoom as a constant key press while i'm using the zoom axis in 2D. This prevents any other input, not from the keyboard, nor from HOTAS (or StreamDeck). I can't use the PULSE+ function on VR_Zoom_Magnifier and VR_Zoom because it needs a constant key-press to be active, otherwise it just pulse the Zoom Views for a brief few millisecs and then switches back to normal view.

So i moved the VR_Zoom and VR_Zoom_Magnifier all the way to the end of the axis movement like this:

KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, AXMAP2(LIST(0,1,3,5,6,100), VR_Zoom_Magnifier, 0, VR_Zoom, 0, PULSE+F1_Cockpit_view));

This does the job but still locks the input up the moment one of them is active for a longer time.

Question: is there a workaround for this?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I assume you're using the Warthog.

I assume you're using TARGET .

I assume you need some special setup, hence TARGET.

If YES , please ignore.

If NO, why're using TARGET and not just use plain vanilla DX mappings already in DCS.

I ask out of curiosity, as I've never seen anybody having problems with axis zoom.

Hope you'll fix it!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Well, i'll fix it... DX mapping both VR Zooms slipped my mind.

Thanks for putting my nose in the right direction.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I would put it in the throttle section since the slider is part of the throttle base (but you can set it anywhere form where the mapping starts).

• 4 weeks later...

Lange_666, I see this discussion above regarding adding the following line to a "throttle section" of some Warthog HOTAS file:

KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, AXMAP2(LIST(0,37,42,77,82,100), VR_Zoom_Magnifier, 0, VR_Zoom, 0, PULSE+F1_Cockpit_view));

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the pathname of the file you are referring to?

btw: I am trying to solve the problem where the Zoom slider on my Warthog base isn't working in VR and I need some way to add that capability and I hope that this is what you guys are talking about. If not, if you could steer me in the right direction regarding this problem, I would sure appreciate it!

=====================================

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

Your Warthog script file in T.A.R.G.E.T. for the aircraft you set up a Warthog profile for. The pathname for that depends on your Target installation location on your computer.

The VR_Zoom_Magnifier and VR_Zoom are to be found in the UI layer of the DCS controls section, the F1_Cockpit_View is to be found in the DCS controls section of each aircraft. You need to bind a key to each VR control in the UI because they don't have a binding. I did bind them to DX120 and DX119. The F1_Cockpit_View has F1 bound to it by default. I use a DX button for both VR controls because they are tend to be long activated and otherwise another input during which they are activated is not possible, DX's buttons overcome that problem.

So i have in my macro file (i use more then one, below is just an extract of parts of them):

// VR *************************************

define VR_Center..................L_SHIFT+USB[0x45] // "LShift - F12" same as TrackIR Center for use in 2D to center TrackIR.

define VR_Zoom...................DX119

define VR_Zoom_Magnifier......DX120

define F1_Cockpit_view.........USB[0x3A] // "F1"

DX buttons above 32 come from using the target128dx.tmh file instead of using the standard target.tmh but you can use any number below 33 if you use the standard target.tmh

And then

in the script file for your aircraft.

The numbers after the LIST command divide the slider axis is 3 parts, the axis range from 0 to 37 gives VR_Zoom_Magnifier, 42 to 77 give VR_Zoom and the last part switched back to F1 Cockpit View.

For use in 2D, just map the slider axis to the Zoom axis in DCS.

Edited by Lange_666

• 2 months later...

I gotta get this going. Can it be done with any joystick axis using the T.A.R.G.E.T. GUI? I have a vkb stick, but i have a t16000m throttle which is where i'm trying to bind my zoom axis anyways.

edit: ok, can i just make a new config and replace the whole "mapAxis (...) and SetSCurve(...)" with the script KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, AXMAP2(LIST(0,37,42,77,82,100), VR_Zoom_Magnifier, 0, VR_Zoom, 0, PULSE+F1_Cockpit_view)); ? or should i leave the curve one?

or can i just paste it at the bottom of the script somewhere?

also, how did you bind the dx119 and dx120 to the vr zoom and vr spyglass functions in dcs?

sorry for being such a noob, I've never really messed with the TARGET software before. Any help is appreciated! o7

Edited by phillabust

For the DX119 and DX120 i use the DX120 hack target.tmh (don't know who is the author of that one so credits go to him/her), it gives you 120 DX buttons instead of the standard 32. When you run the script, it gives you then 120DX buttons in DCS and you can then pick DX119 and DX120 for the UI layer VR zoom functions.

The VR_Zoom_Magnifier and VR_Zoom macro's are not really needed, it just makes everything more readable. You can replace them directly with the DX buttons you choose.

I'm using a basic template to start with where every button is already present but commented out. If i then program a button, i just remove the comment to make it active.

Check PM.

Edited by Lange_666