Wet decks

westr

I would love to see some attention given to the effects of rain. Spray from launching or recovering aircraft and reflections from lights on a shimmering wet carrier deck. It’s something I’ve noticed looking at pictures of carrier decks particularly in inclement weather. Well this is a wish list I know it’s asking a lot but I would love to see this sort of detail added further down the line.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

i agree.

i would gladly pay ED for additional improved effects ingame = reflection, puddles, effects and water rain snow wash effects from jet helo and props. also the option to enable or disable these effects in options.

would also love to see 3d piles snow side runways would look great.

another big effect for me would be animated grass and tree sway from jet wash helicopter wash and props,

again options to run them on or off.

hoping we can get fire and smoke effects from ww2 engine starts also the effects are blown by wind direction.

all in good time i guess.

I would love to see some attention given to the effects of rain. Spray from launching or recovering aircraft and reflections from lights on a shimmering wet carrier deck. It’s something I’ve noticed looking at pictures of carrier decks particularly in inclement weather. Well this is a wish list I know it’s asking a lot but I would love to see this sort of detail added further down the line.

Although I'm sure ED could do it, it would lead to further corrosive action by the saltwater spray and the deck, tiedowns and jets would rust out...then we'd have nothing to fly!

But in serious consideration, great idea, I hope they do it...as well as frost effects in winter climates.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i agree.

i would gladly pay ED for additional improved effects ingame = reflection, puddles, effects and water rain snow wash effects from jet helo and props. also the option to enable or disable these effects in options.

would also love to see 3d piles snow side runways would look great.

another big effect for me would be animated grass and tree sway from jet wash helicopter wash and props,

again options to run them on or off.

hoping we can get fire and smoke effects from ww2 engine starts also the effects are blown by wind direction.

all in good time i guess.

Oh man, you got me dreaming now... I think a reflections, global illumination and lighting overhaul is actually necessary. And imagine how cool it'd be if we got canopy weather effects, such as frosting. And snow/water/dust blown away during takeoffs and landings.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

:thumbup:

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they're already included. This is from ED's website. Fingers crossed.

DCS-Supercarrier-1111.jpg

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Definitely want to see rain flowing on the deck, but there is not a lot of spray getting up that high unless you're in a hurricane. :)

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Definitely want to see rain flowing on the deck, but there is not a lot of spray getting up that high unless you're in a hurricane. :)

Oh, it gets pretty high my friend. I've seen water break over the bow when the deck is pitching enough, and we are in a recovery. During the launch, the Catapult Officer must time the launch with the pitch of the deck.

I get seasick on the bow lol. Dramamine is my friend!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Oh, it gets pretty high my friend. I've seen water break over the bow when the deck is pitching enough, and we are in a recovery. During the launch, the Catapult Officer must time the launch with the pitch of the deck.

Sailed for three years on HMCS Provider and Preserver. Only saw green water ever get to the flight deck of Provider once, never on Preserver. I've spent many many days in bad weather doing deck work.

Lots of spray at the bow, but these ships were not anywhere near as tall as the Stennis.

Never sailed on an aircraft carrier so it's possible water sprays up there and I just don't know it, but it seems very unlikely. Sea State 10 maybe :) I'll have to take your word for it.

Getting sea sick is awful. Only experienced it once myself. In the bottom of the ship while "Officer of the Watch maneuvers" were happening... mostly I just get really tired the first day at sea and then feel fine after I sleep. Sucky thing is when most of the air detachment is down sick and we go to flying stations so I'm one of a few guys trying to get the Sea King launched.... lol I think I'd rather have it that way though. Saw some people who got very sick suffer more than I would ever want to.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know that a modern carrier has ever had green water on the deck. White water? No problem. You'll get spray to the top of the island. Pitching decks? Yup. Pretty sure diving deep enough to get green water that high would break something.

We took green water to the ASROC house (and lost the ships bell) in a monumental storm in '84 on our way to Petropovlovsk. Only time I ever wore a pus...er...domesticated feline patch.