VR Zoom questions

PhiMX

Hi,

I am using an Samsung Odyssey+ that has this anti SDE-Filter which makes the image a little blurry in order to get rid of the SDE. Then it has a tiny sweet spot and on top of it all, it has fresnel type-lenses which lead to an effect I think is called ghosting, that comes to play in high-contrast areas like bright text on black.

Those three things interact a little with my hornet´s DDIs and so I have a really hard time to read the text on the displays, even with maximum VR zoom I am constantly adjusting the sweet spot, which is annoying as hell and is a true immersion-breaker.

So I thought I´d ask you guys if there is a way ... maybe hidden deep in some config file which adjusts how far the zoom reaches?

That would be awesome. Just a tiny bit more zoom would be enough to make the text readable.

And while we are on the way of optimizing VR zoom, why did the developpers not make the zoom plane normal to the viewing vector of the HMD?

The zoom works great when zooming into the HUD or the DDIs, but as soon as you zoom into your engine switches to the left or right, the zoom becomes skewed in a weird way.. the viewing angle becomes shallow without moving the head.

Regards,

phil

Look in the UI Layer controls, you'll find the VR zoom options there. There's now 2. The std VR zoom, which is probably x2, and the new "VR Spyglass", which is like using a big pair of binoculars.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Look in the UI Layer controls, you'll find the VR zoom options there. There's now 2. The std VR zoom, which is probably x2, and the new "VR Spyglass", which is like using a big pair of binoculars.

Indeed, the new zoom options work great - have them both assigned to buttons on my HOTAS.

I use std zoom for close up, and spyglass is awesome for further away - great to be able to see the Stennis deck from much farther away now.

Very sleek and easy to use! ED did great with this.

:thumbup:

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Indeed, the new zoom options work great - have them both assigned to buttons on my HOTAS.

I use std zoom for close up, and spyglass is awesome for further away - great to be able to see the Stennis deck from much farther away now.

Very sleek and easy to use! ED did great with this.

:thumbup:

My only gripe is that mapping both takes up more mapping real-estate on my throttle.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I use the same button for zoom in both modes , by the use of my already-in-use modifier button . Thus no additional "real estate" requiremeent .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 3 months later...

I've got problem with VR SPYGLASS.

I've assigned VR Spyglass to a button, and looked at the truck at the airfield while zoom.

I see two images. So I grab slider, adjust to have normal image. I barely understand what slider does, but at some point again, I feel that I see right.

Unzoom

I can see double everything right now in non-VR SPYGLASS mode.

QUESTION:

Is it possible to set this up that every zoom level works properly?

I've got Samsung Odyssey+

My only gripe is that mapping both takes up more mapping real-estate on my throttle.

I use target, and map the "Friction lever" slider thus

KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0 , AXMAP2 (3, DX77 ,DX76, PULSE+DX75));

DX76 becomes UI Zoom, 77 becomes Spyglass, and 75 is a default place holder left un-mapped for normal view.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

So I grab slider, adjust to have normal image.

1) i never have the symptoms you describe ?

2) what is the "slider"... ???

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Maybe back off on supersampling (or PD, whichever one you're using, same thing) and see if that helps. Supersampling makes edges squirmy.

According to one thesis (which I can't find right now) MSAA might help with text legibility. Can you run MSAAx4? Does it help? Be advised, the way DCS handles rendering, MSAA really flogs your GPU (well, I don't know that it's any worse than supersampling, but it's not any better, and less granular. Net result is, in DCS, MSAA takes a lot of oomph)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 2 weeks later...