DCS on Linux?? - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #51
Aviators

I personally use windows only for DCS World ...
Aviators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #52
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviators View Post
and with the vulkan API? Any possibilites?

They still use Microsofts C++ libraries. If they replace those with boost, Qt, etc. then it could work, but at this point, no.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #53
Aviators

Ok, thanks.
Aviators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #54
DigitalEngine

If DCS ported to Linux, I could finally & completely wash my hard-drive of BS, oops sorry, typo, I meant MS.
GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme
Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2
Cooling = Corsair H100i V2 water cooler, plus RAM mounted fans.

Corsair Vengeance® C70 Mid-Tower Gaming Case — Military Green
OS = Windows 10 64bit
Power supply = EVGA 1200P2
HTC Vive
DigitalEngines's Twitch Channel, Youtube Channel
DigitalEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #55
DrNo

I am confused. How can people tell that there are not enough gamers on Linux to justify porting a game to Linux? I ask that because there are not enough games of this genre that are ported over for people to play to even give a hint as to the amount of games on Linux. You have to port the game iver to really tell how many there really are. That is about like that argument against multiple gpu's. I don't know how many times I read how not enough people have multiple gpu's to justify having a game support them. Luckily, developers have realized they can utilize hardware in users computers to blister there games hence the move to Vulkan with DCS. Hopefully, the Vulkan move will make it much easier to port to Linux. I am going to predict that if DCS makes the move to Linux, those anti Linux people are going to be surprised at how many there really are on Linux. Or how many that are holding onto Windows just because their game has not been ported to Linux yet... As for the anti multiple gpu people, I have to laugh since many of them spend $500 on HOTAS and head tracking. Lol

Last edited by DrNo; 02-29-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Hit enter too soon.
DrNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #56
nanucq

I play to a lot of games on Linux (Xplane 11, Metro Exodus, GTA V, the Witcher 3...) but DCS is only windows for now. Hope it will change some day

Last edited by nanucq; 02-29-2020 at 02:33 PM.
nanucq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #57
Buzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNo View Post
I am confused. How can people tell that there are not enough gamers on Linux to justify porting a game to Linux? [snip]
Easy, people can tell because things like the Steam Hardware Survey exist.

It's pretty easy to look at the user count who use linux and weigh up if the sales of a linux version would recoup the money you spend on developing said linux version.
The answer is generally: no, it's not worth it.

If you're developing a new game from scratch, and you architect your code from the outset to be platform agonstic, so get a linux version for minimal effort, then it might be worth it. Unlikely though as support has a cost too.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:14 AM   #58
DrNo

I am sorry, but I have to laugh at the logic on this. There are more gamers that play on Windows because most games (especially AAA titles) are made for Windows Only. If the games people are playing are Windows only, then people are not even given the chance to play games in Linux for you to get a proper idea of how many Linux games there are. As for the Steam Hardware Survey, it seems that you have not boticed that Linux players have constantly been growing and would have been growing faster than Windows gamers. Because the Steam Survey shows the mass influx of Windows gamers located in the Far East such as China, it kind of obscures that fact. This was discussed in quite a few Youtube videos already.
DrNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:56 AM   #59
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNo View Post
I am sorry, but I have to laugh at the logic on this. There are more gamers that play on Windows because most games (especially AAA titles) are made for Windows
It doesn’t matter why the demographics are that way. It’s just a fact that they are.
So a DCS port to Linux would sell to less than 1% of the market. Simple. That’s not likely to be financially worthwhile.

I can’t fathom why it takes 6 pages to explain this...
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:14 AM   #60
SierraKiloGulf

Do it. The only reason I use Windows is for Flight Sims like DCS, P3D and XP

Linux is far superior except in the gaming community where it gets zero love it seems.
SierraKiloGulf is offline   Reply With Quote