Battery not simulated

Schmirco

Man, I miss the days when the rep system was still available ....

Could all the trolls please conduct their quaterly meeting please somewhere else and leave this thread just on-topic? Just open a thread under "chit chat", like "Electricity is overrated!", "Batteries are fake-news!" or "Complex systems - who needs them anyways (if it flies)?"

Fact is that I am not sure that it is easy to find such information. Looks simple like this but you need to gather both battery informations, then consumtion for each instrument. It may be easier for the Huey as it is a very well known aircraft. I had a lot of electric and maintenance schemes of the Gazelle long time ago, I don't remember seeing the consumtions informations. Still it perhaps was in. Not sure.

For the remaining part, we live in a time where difference between fun and agressivity is narrow, consider that when I make fun of something, it's for fun, if I want to be agressive, you'll read it fast ^^.

So I'm not sure. Not even sure that mechanicians often test such thing, except when something breaks and they check the voltage.

And, on a code point of view, Gazelle was hard to optimize, having another electric consumtion calculation for each instrument may not help. I suspect that the same idea was applied on the Kamov-50 : eletric power is for maintenance, nothing more, and that's overly consuming in terms of coding and cpu for the final result.

It's my opinion, you've yours, I reserve the right to myself to joke about it because I'm like this, I laugh a lot, usually at myself :p

@Nicolas

In the UH the Batterie isn't much powerful and in cold conditions you doesn't have infintly time for the startup.

Same when the Gen died i think.

Thats the point for the question.

When the gazelle batterie is much more powerful and feed the helo for a few hours like in cars there are no points to simulate him.

But again, it was only a simple question.

@Sanbato

So other values are also useless hm? Like Temp, Pressure, Fuelflow and so on.

Because its not a temperature test bench... or pressure test bench ...

Please push your contributions somewhere else.

not these values, are very important in flight. for info, IRL no driver is stupid enough to let his battery unload. and if it happened by "accident", the maintenance team, would put a new battery in the shortest time (or connect a GPU), so the notion of unloading a battery, in a game (because it is a game and nothing else), is perfectly useless.

For info I work in the aeronautics, on helicopter (lynx and panther) it turns out that when we arrive at 4000 door opening / closing, we must change the hinges. it's not simulating in DCS, it's unacceptable and prevents me from stealing ^^. here, how do I see this thread and its usefulness

If your generator fails, you land as soon as possible. You certainly wouldn't wait for the battery to fail too, so a bit of a moot point.

I'm definitely going to add my weight to the worn out hinge issue though. They clearly need correctly simulating. We should have the doors falling off after 2000 door operations. I wonder if it's already a feature? I suggest we all immediately get into the sim and test this!

OK, it may take up precious system resources to simulate, but how could such a major issue be overlooked by the devs?

If your generator fails, you land as soon as possible. You certainly wouldn't wait for the battery to fail too, so a bit of a moot point.

I'm definitely going to add my weight to the worn out hinge issue though. They clearly need correctly simulating. We should have the doors falling off after 2000 door operations. I wonder if it's already a feature? I suggest we all immediately get into the sim and test this!

OK, it may take up precious system resources to simulate, but how could such a major issue be overlooked by the devs?

:megalol:

If I fly and people start shooting at me, I get out of there as soon as possible. So, flying the helo as such is rather a moot point. And thus, completely solves the problem of non-functioning systems! Win-win! Oh, and btw, could you troll somewhere else, please? This thread is not about hinges, it is about batteries.

The batteries should last for many hours. So it's completely unnecessary for the devs to model any kind of drain from sitting there with it on and the engine not started. Who is going to sit there for a couple of days at their sim? I would rather the devs not waste their coding time simulating this kind of pedantary.

I was a comms detachment commander with 24V batteries and they would easily operate the installation for hours without concern. If they hadn't, the army would have been buggered. So would the air force, for that matter.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

If I fly and people start shooting at me, I get out of there as soon as possible. So, flying the helo as such is rather a moot point. And thus, completely solves the problem of non-functioning systems! Win-win! Oh, and btw, could you troll somewhere else, please? This thread is not about hinges, it is about batteries.

Actually I told you that generator failure isn't modeled on most DCS aircrafts, demonstrated you that battery wasn't simulated on aircfats that people consider as a reference in terms on simulation, worldwide. People tell you that even if it was, you would have hours with batteries on. Still you tell people they are trolling while you keep asking the same thing.

Sorry but in my opinion, you are the troll. For me the debate is over, there is no battery simulation and simply no need for it.

Nicolas

The batteries should last for many hours. So it's completely unnecessary for the devs to model any kind of drain from sitting there with it on and the engine not started. Who is going to sit there for a couple of days at their sim? I would rather the devs not waste their coding time simulating this kind of pedantary.

I was a comms detachment commander with 24V batteries and they would easily operate the installation for hours without concern. If they hadn't, the army would have been buggered. So would the air force, for that matter.

That's why I asked what happens, if the generator fails. Someone suggested landing as quickly as possible. Sure, but how quick do I actually have to be? How much time do I have in that case? Minutes? Hours? Days? The (sim) truth rather seems to be: the whole eternity - just keep going on with your mission.

So, conclusion of this thread:

A simple question, isn't the battery simulated?

I am switching on the battery, waiting 10min and nothing happens, no electrical power loss, no movements on voltmeter, nothing.

Not simulated, bug or my fault?:D

Answer: simply not simulated.

(@trolls: was that so difficult, without getting sarcastic and trying to derail the thread while making fun of people who ask questions ...?)

Actually I told you that generator failure isn't modeled on most DCS aircrafts, demonstrated you that battery wasn't simulated on aircfats that people consider as a reference in terms on simulation, worldwide. People tell you that even if it was, you would have hours with batteries on.

I'm not sure your math checks out.

Generator failure is modeled in:

Ka50

Mi8

UH-1

A-10C

AJS 37

Bf 109

F-5E

F-86F

F-18C

FW 190

L-39C/ZA

M-2000C

MiG 15

MiG 21

P-51D

Spitfire

I'm not sure your math checks out.

Generator failure is modeled in:

Ka50

Mi8

UH-1

A-10C

AJS 37

Bf 109

F-5E

F-86F

F-18C

FW 190

L-39C/ZA

M-2000C

MiG 15

MiG 21

P-51D

Spitfire

Afaik that is not what he said - we were talking about the battery capacity / battery drain if - for whatever reason - the generator(s) are not working.

But on the other hand, at least the Mi-8, Viggen, F-86, F-5 (probably more, but only checked those so far) seem to simulate that - at least their respective manuals make that impression (i.e. I haven't tested it).

lmao the Gazelle can't even get the batteries right.

But seriously though, you do expect for a $60 flight sim to simulate critical airframe components.

The CPU argument is bad, the gaz doesn't have much else going on, so a short line of "battery drain" code won't affect PC performance.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give OH-6 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Afaik that is not what he said - we were talking about the battery capacity / battery drain if - for whatever reason - the generator(s) are not working.

But on the other hand, at least the Mi-8, Viggen, F-86, F-5 (probably more, but only checked those so far) seem to simulate that - at least their respective manuals make that impression (i.e. I haven't tested it).

The argument was that battery drain doesn't matter because you can't fail the generators in most modules. This isn't a very good argument because you can in fact do that in most modules.

As for which also include battery drain, I know from experience that all WW2 aircraft do along with the F86, MiG15, Mi8, UH1 and AJS 37.

In the end it's just different developers having different modeling standards. Some simulate the bare minimum and some go into ridiculous almost worrying detail.

For me the debate is over, there is no battery simulation and simply no need for it.

In the DCS Huey, you can* start up, not turn on the generator, go for a long fly, land, shutdown, and then fail to restart due to a dischared battery.

Is it a necessity? Of course not.

But it is nice to have and a showcase for the systems modelling for a module.

You can also do similar in the P51D and Mi8 iirc.

*(well, could at one point, not tested in years)

Edited by Buzzles

lmao the Gazelle can't even get the batteries right.

But seriously though, you do expect for a $60 flight sim to simulate critical airframe components.

The CPU argument is bad, the gaz doesn't have much else going on, so a short line of "battery drain" code won't affect PC performance.

And you know that because you are a sim coder.

Right?

He clearly isn't if he thinks that there is not so much and that such code for a battery would be "one short line" ^^

Sincerely guys I don't really understand your problem. Not trolling, promise, I have 3000 hours on the Kamov-50, taught it to many many people, still, the lack of battery never ever was a concern for me, because I fly, I study everything I have, devs didn't put it for the Kamov, I don't know why, there probably was a reason (perhaps very simple, like what I said, they didn't have the infos), and it's ok, and in 3000 h, I never ever experienced a generator failure. For god sake, it's the same for Gazelle. It wouldn't surprise me that the devs didn't even think about such thing, like when some people claimed that the FM allowed to do a forward loop : you don't think about testing such thing. You say that it should be there for 50$ : Your Track IR costs 4 times this price. 50$ is a videogame price, you have a 5 years long work, very good quality one, like on other aircrafts, and you already are lucky enough.

But you want everything, like professionnals who spend 10 k $ in a sim. My answer is the same than the sanbato's one : Go pass your license, fly a real helo, and leave your keyboard.

You are inventing bugs there, and if so many people answer rudely to you all, it's not because they want to troll, it's simply that they consider that you are purely trolling, and sincerely, you are, like on the FM threads where most things which are reported to be missing got implemented for months (VRS, low skid on T/O etc etc) and are signaled by people who never fly the thing and simply want to spit at something.

Question got its answer on the first page : Battery isn't modeled.

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov

He clearly isn't if he thinks that there is not so much and that such code for a battery would be "one short line" ^^

I'm not asking for a well detailed simulation of each and every electron in a lead-acid type battery,

just a simple "battery goes off after x minutes/hours" line/lines of code.

I have 3000 hours on the Kamov-50

Jesus christ

6on954L.jpg

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give OH-6 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

It wouldn't surprise me that the devs didn't even think about such thing, (...)

They probably didn't - as the "Failures" tab in the mission editor is completely barren. Other aircraft have dozens of entries there for all kind of different systems and components (including the elec. generator(s)). Granted, the Ka-50 has fewer entries there than most other modules and the generator is not one of them - but it is also the oldes module.

That is why it is not unreasonable to ask about it - because it has been done already before.

If it isn't, what difference does it make?

Lose both of your generators and just keep on trucking on the batteries forever since they'll never drain is what springs to mind ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.