Virpil Throttle Wearing Out Already *please read* - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
98abaile

A quick fix would be to just flip the plate upside down, although that would only be a temporary solution. The leading edge of the groove could be very slightly radiused to help alleviate the problems of the ball bearing meeting a hard edge and sudden obstruction, although ideally the detent would be a milled trough (and the ball bearing in constant rolling contact) rather than a void.
The plate also looks too close to the detent ring. My reasoning for this is that the length of the worn groove is long, indicating that the ball bearing stays in contact for a long time indicating a long length of travel against its spring. The ball bearing only really needs to come into contact with the plate near the detent.
Lastly, and crucially, the plate should be hardened.

All this aside though, a much better design would have been to have the ball bearings or roller pins where the plate is (or elsewhere around the axis) and instead have the detent grooves on the adjustable bushings instead (either hardened steel or bronze).
98abaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
mdee

Unless the plate is made of cheese or the ball made of cutting diamond, I doubt these grooves would appear there after 3 hours of usage. They might be pre-cut (perhaps to alleviate pressure change), guessing by pictures in not very precise manner.

I'll stop speculating, but it does bother me. @Cyph3r, some light on this would be much appreciated.
mdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbot View Post
After seeing your pictures with the worn metal plates, I am glad that I have not ordered the throttle yet. Therefore, I will certainly wait until the layout has been improved by the manufacturer.
+1
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #14
backstab

Im sure this is going to turn into a gigantic problem for Virpil. I hope they have an engineer looking into a solution. Its not rocket science but some other materials or some different mechanism is needed. It looks like a good idea but whomever authorized this didnt think it through. How many times will we roll that ball past those detents. Click click click 20,000 times in its life and someone didnt understand the wear and tear factor.

Im still waiting on my ticket.
backstab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #15
mdee

Backstab, would you mind explaining how did you get to this plate? I can check mine, but your previous explanation is too vague.
mdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:14 AM   #16
dawgie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstab View Post
Im sure this is going to turn into a gigantic problem for Virpil. I hope they have an engineer looking into a solution. Its not rocket science but some other materials or some different mechanism is needed. It looks like a good idea but whomever authorized this didnt think it through. How many times will we roll that ball past those detents. Click click click 20,000 times in its life and someone didnt understand the wear and tear factor.

Hope so too, and that Cyph3r will respond as soon as they've investigated the problem.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:51 AM   #17
backstab

The plate is located between the throttles. It is just under the top plate with all the switches on it. To access it you need to remove the plastic grips that are screwed on top of each of the power arms. Once those are off then undo the screws on the top plate and the plastic incremented dust cover that sits on top of the top plate. This dust cover will come up and off. Then remove the two plastic arced dust covers. All this stuff needs to come up and off so you can lift the large metal top plate off. As soon as you do this you will see it.

You have the option to remove both halves of the metal top plate with all the switches on it but if I recall you just need to remove the plate over the throttle levers. I cant think if you need to remove any screws from the bottom of the throttle..

Just do it. Take photos and mark the wires with a marker. Its not calculating your shadow on the moon. Its basically a must do IMO so get on it. Total time is about 30 minutes to take apart and re assemble. I wish I took better pics.
backstab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #18
Wmacky

If anyone else does this, please take pics of each step!

I agree, that it seems impossible those grooves were cut in 3 hours? Surely, that would have been quickly noticed in beta testing?
Wmacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #19
chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstab View Post

Usually this kinda stuff is caught with good QA and a lot of wear testing. Let's hope it's an isolated situation.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 AM   #20
norbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmacky View Post
... I agree, that it seems impossible those grooves were cut in 3 hours? Surely, that would have been quickly noticed in beta testing?
Why shouldn't those grooves be cut in 3 hours? Just land on a carrier a few times and have a look at how often you'll be moving the throttles during that time. The bearing is made of hardened material and the plate probably not. Those grooves will be inside the plate pretty soon if pressure is high enough. And you're right - they should have noticed that during beta testing...