Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle - Page 12 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #111
TheHendrix

Reputation power: 0
TheHendrix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Bandit View Post
I'm a touch confused... How are you guys activated activating so many buttons with your thumb *at the same time*? I can only ever really activate one binding with any digit at any one time...

Z...
This is kind of the point.

When using your thumb to manipulate the mini-stick you cannot use your thumb for activating any of the other buttons on the side of the throttle-grip (usually these buttons would have functions like radios, countermeasures, cage/uncage etc.).
However when using the index-finger to manipulate the mini-stick you can still activate your countermeasures/radios/etc with the buttons on the side of the throttle using your thumb.

This is the reason I prefer a mini-stick that is to be used with the index-finger. It's not just a thing of habit or getting used to a different layout but also has a direct effect on the ability to "multitask".

I am sorry if my previous explanation was a bit ambiguous.

Last edited by TheHendrix; 12-11-2017 at 04:28 PM.
TheHendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #112
Slick Fork

Reputation power: 4
Slick Fork will become famous soon enoughSlick Fork will become famous soon enoughSlick Fork will become famous soon enough

So maybe a dumb question - what's the difference between an encoder rotary and just a normal rotary axis?
Slick Fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:07 AM   #113
Dudikoff

Reputation power: 31
Dudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
So maybe a dumb question - what's the difference between an encoder rotary and just a normal rotary axis?
I guess the rotary encoder is no axis, but has discrete physical positions (each of which can be assigned to a function in the software). To achieve that with a rotary axis, you would have to divide it into bands in the software itself and assign a function to each of the bands, but using it e.g. for a mode switch would be much less convenient because you wouldn't feel when it will switch between the positions.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #114
some1

Reputation power: 20
some1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nicesome1 is just really nice

On top of that, an axis has usually less than 360 degrees movement. Encoder can turn in each direction infinitely, so it can be mapped to all those frequency or heading knobs. Of course only if the devs allow you to map those functions (looking at you Razbam).

Owned modules out of beta: A-10C; Ka-50; P-51; FW-190D; UH-1; FC; FC2; FC3; L-39C/ZA; MiG-15bis; F-86F Sabre; Bf 109 K-4; F-5E; Mi-8MTV2; M-2000C
Owned betas: SA-342; NTTR; MiG-21bis; C-101 Aviojet; Hawk T.1A; Spitfire IX; AJS 37; AV-8B
Hardware: Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Rift CV1
some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #115
Slick Fork

Reputation power: 4
Slick Fork will become famous soon enoughSlick Fork will become famous soon enoughSlick Fork will become famous soon enough

Ah ok, so it's not a true axis but essentially a series of buttons if I'm understanding you right - if the break was say 10 degrees you could theoretically have 36 button presses? Or is it more like what I have on the left hand side of my x-55 throttle where you can have what I'm thinking of as a single button in either direction that repeats?

Last edited by Slick Fork; 12-14-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Slick Fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #116
Dudikoff

Reputation power: 31
Dudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Ah ok, so it's not a true axis but essentially a series of buttons if I'm understanding you right - if the break was say 10 degrees you could theoretically have 36 button presses? Or is it more like what I have on the left hand side of my x-55 throttle where you can have what I'm thinking of as a single button in either direction that repeats?
It's more like a series of buttons then, but that depends on the programming. Although, if Saitek's SST would allow you to program it (in a way that e.g. Target does), even that simple rotary thing on their throttles (which behaves as a repeated command) could have been programmed to emulate the rotary encoder behaviour (i.e. like having different outputs depending on the number of pushes and direction).

But, I'd presume the mode switch on Virpil's throttle has only the 5 indicated positions rather than an indefinite number?
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 12-14-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #117
LeCuvier

Reputation power: 7
LeCuvier has a spectacular aura aboutLeCuvier has a spectacular aura aboutLeCuvier has a spectacular aura aboutLeCuvier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It's essentially like a momentary On-(Off)-(On) toggle switch but with rotary action. It has 2 momentary contacts, call them CW (clockwise) and CCW (counter-clockwise).CW closes momentarily (for a very short time) each time you turn the knob clockwise over the detent, and CCW closes momentarily when you turn the knob counter-clockwise over the detent. The detent is typically reached every 20 or so (depends on the mechanical design) degrees. If you turn the knob by 100 degrees clockwise you might get about 5 short closures of the CW contact. And so on.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #118
Brixmis

Reputation power: 9
Brixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really nice

I think the wheel on the left of the X56 throttle base is a rotary encoder. It's a very useful item - I use it as a mousewheel for VR use and for things like kneeboard pages next and previous. It can be really tedious, clicking through all those diagrams in the kneeboard, but with that thing you can zoom through them really quickly.
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote