What's your permance with GTX 1070 or 1070Ti???

Hi guys!

Just got the new ROG Strix GTX 1070Ti. Amazing card! beautiful, cold, but, i didn't see much more performance comparing with my old card, MSi Gaming GTX970.

The TEST CONFIG is:

FRAPS 3.5.99 (can use the in game Rctrl + pause too)

MSI AFTERBURNER MEASURING GPU AND CPU

DCS 2.2 VERSION

MAP NORMANDY

GRAPHICS QUALITY AS BELOW

*1080p

*Everything maxed out, including those 4 sliders (trees distance, preload radius,chimestry, etc..)

*Cockpit Displays 1024 (not every frame ok!)

*MSAA 8x

*Deph of field OFF (i don't like it)

*Lens effects Dirt + Flare

*HDR OFF

*Defferred Shading (what the hell is this?) ON

*Anisotropic Filter 16x

*Shadows Defaut

*Cockpit ilumination OFF

THE TEST

*Using the Instant Action with TF-51 in Flight and using default view inside cockpit AWAYS looking straight ahead: Got about 60FPS with the new card

*Using the Instant Action with TF-51 in Take Off and AWAYS inside cockpit:

- Looking front: 58FPS

- Looking Left Wing: 60FPS

- Looking 7h: 62FPS

- Looking 5h: 59FPS

- Looking Right Wing: 53FPS

GPU LOAD: 99% most part of time

GPU CLOCK: 1848 Mhz

GPU TEMP: 62ºC

CPU LOAD: 40-50%

CPU CLOCK: 4Ghz

CPU CORE TEMP: 60ºC (tcase temp 50C)

So, i just wanna know about you, that have GTX1070 ou 1070Ti.

Please do the same test as described above and post here your results!

Would like to know if it's the dcs or my system that is not good enough for my card.

Thanks!

Mind you, any in-game MSAA causes performance hit and/or induces stuttering when paired with Deferred Shading, that's why we were officially advised to turn MSAA off in this case. When you crank it all the way up to 8x, your performance will inevitably go down the drain, especially on Normandy, which is most resource heavy map of them all.

For these reasons I've got MSAA off on my GTX1070, forcing FXAA&SMAA instead via Reshade, but I can do the test with 8x and post results later today.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Mind you, any in-game MSAA causes performance hit and/or induces stuttering when paired with Deferred Shading, that's why we were officially advised to turn MSAA off in this case. When you crank it all the way up to 8x, your performance will inevitably go down the drain, especially on Normandy, which is most resource heavy map of them all.

For these reasons I've got MSAA off on my GTX1070, forcing FXAA&SMAA instead via Reshade, but I can do the test with 8x and post results later today.

Hi Art-J

What deferred shading does exactly?

The question here is to compare performances in the same settings. Bought a new VGA and i got a little surprised about my fps. Little gain, about 10 fps comparing with 970, and pascal architeture is much more powerfull than Maxwell.

Would like to see your results with these settings for a comparison.

Thank you!

Hi Art-J

What deferred shading does exactly?

The question here is to compare performances in the same settings. Bought a new VGA and i got a little surprised about my fps. Little gain, about 10 fps comparing with 970, and pascal architeture is much more powerfull than Maxwell.

Would like to see your results with these settings for a comparison.

Thank you!

Deferred Shading, or deferred rendering (both terms are used) is a fancy, new rendering technique, which provides (if done well) vastly improved, dynamic lighting and shading of the scene when multiple direct and non-direct sources of light are available. There are dozens of articles and youtube vids on the subject, so google around.

It doesn't like old, hardware anti-aliasing methods, however, and that causes performance issues in every game which tries to utilize it.

Performance you're geting is about right for your gfx card and nothing can be done about it except for toning some settings down (again, first and foremost MSAA). You didn't specify your NV control panel settings, but it doesn't matter, they don't cause much difference anyway. While we're at it, turn cockpit global ilumination "on" to really have your in-game settings maxed out. You didn't write what CPU you use, which can have some more noticeable impact, but still not a massive difference, as your GPU gets maxed out already.

Your test results on my PC (1900x1200 monitor, GTX1070 card @ 1683 clock, Win7, 388.43 drivers, CPU as in signature) are as follows:

Front - 54;

Left - 54;

7h - 60;

5h - 57;

Right - 49

That's why I use different approach - settings and sliders as per default "high" preset, minus shadows & civil traffic on "medium", and with no in-game MSAA (but as I said, some FXAA&SMAA injected externally via ReShade). That's enough to bump my framerate to:

Front - 120;

Left - 120;

7h - 139;

5h - 133;

Right - 113.

GPU usage in both cases varying between 85 and 95-ish percent.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Deferred Shading, or deferred rendering (both terms are used) is a fancy, new rendering technique, which provides (if done well) vastly improved, dynamic lighting and shading of the scene when multiple direct and non-direct sources of light are available. There are dozens of articles and youtube vids on the subject, so google around.

It doesn't like old, hardware anti-aliasing methods, however, and that causes performance issues in every game which tries to utilize it.

Performance you're geting is about right for your gfx card and nothing can be done about it except for toning some settings down (again, first and foremost MSAA). You didn't specify your NV control panel settings, but it doesn't matter, they don't cause much difference anyway. While we're at it, turn cockpit global ilumination "on" to really have your in-game settings maxed out. You didn't write what CPU you use, which can have some more noticeable impact, but still not a massive difference, as your GPU gets maxed out already.

Your test results on my PC (1900x1200 monitor, GTX1070 card @ 1683 clock, Win7, 388.43 drivers, CPU as in signature) are as follows:

Front - 54;

Left - 54;

7h - 60;

5h - 57;

Right - 49

That's why I use different approach - settings and sliders as per default "high" preset, minus shadows & civil traffic on "medium", and with no in-game MSAA (but as I said, some FXAA&SMAA injected externally via ReShade). That's enough to bump my framerate to:

Front - 120;

Left - 120;

7h - 139;

5h - 133;

Right - 113.

GPU usage in both cases varying between 85 and 95-ish percent.

Comparing, i should have a better performance, cause my vga is the model Ti, more powerfull and i use a resolution a little lower than yours, 1080p.

But.....

My computer is older. Your Core i5 is better than my i7 2600k in single thread or comparing 4x4. And you overclocked it to 4.4 haha. i7 is just better for those applications that uses the Hyper Threading. I think DCS doesn't take advantage of it. Point for you!

Another reason is my PCI-E version 2.0. it supports a Titan Xp without lacking, but, cause of technology of PCI-E 3.0, it has a better response time, so, boards with it, take up to 10 fps gain, according to the VGA model. Another point for you haha!

With the tests, i took a conclusion...

There's no lack with my graphics. The problem is the DCS, that is "heavy" for even a 1070 with graphics maxed out (and they recommend a 780Ti haha)

Thanks a lot for your support!!!

The main problem is your CPU, which can no longer feed your fast modern graphics even at 4GHz and another limit is the low permeability of older DDR3 memory.

I have a better CPU/ GPU and I have in the settings still limited to MSAA 2x otherwise it is DCS unplayable. But another future optimization of the DCS is of course necessary.

Edited by petsild

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

I still have an old i7-2600K / GTX980 rig and it runs DCS just fine. But then, this is a lean Win7 machine with only 25 services loaded at bootup and absolutely no unnecessary stuff running in the background, so I'm willing to believe I'm good for a while still ;) YMMV though...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The main problem is your CPU, which can no longer feed your fast modern graphics even at 4GHz and another limit is the low permeability of older DDR3 memory.

I have a better CPU/ GPU and I have in the settings still limited to MSAA 2x otherwise it is DCS unplayable. But another future optimization of the DCS is of course necessary.

Sorry but i disagree.

My cpu is enough for this card. I72600k still a good cpu!! With sure i would have a better performance with newer cpu's, but,, this one can handle my GTX.

Another point. DCS with everything maxed out here doesn't use more than 50% of my cpu bound. It's enough for the game.

Luckily, A friend bought the same card and he has the Ryzen1700X Cpu. He will install it tomorrow and we will compare with each other.

Yesterday, i was flying a instant action with a-10a in NTTR map. With everything maxed out, took more than 100fps most part of time!

Im rocking the old i7-2600k @4.2 but I have an older graphics card. Im going to do a full rebuild when the bitcoin and alternatives make me a billionaire!!

I was of the opinion 4ghz is 4ghz regardless of the chip and when A-10A was released IIRC it was pre 2600k so you should be good. Also wasnt DCS 2.2 supposed to improve performance?

Agree on the memory, 2600 MOBOs are early DDR3 i think, I dont know much about this but what are the latest ones?

What about your DirectX version, is that latest and greatest, again I seem to recall that my 2600k and mobo probably wont support the next DirectX?

One other point, why compare DCS Normandy to NTTR amnd A10 to the WW2 bird? NTTR (should) have better performance I would think being as though its just a yellow terrain, perhaps be better comparing like for like to get a proper basis?

Finally do you have an SSD? Perhaps you can reduce the preload radius with an SSD (although I have no idea whether this would impact FPS).

Ps. I run at 50 and below on my old rig and still love the sim, I wouldnt even know what 100fps feels like but hopefully next year when all the new stuff comes out including the next gen of PCIe.

Sorry but i disagree.

My cpu is enough for this card. I72600k still a good cpu!! With sure i would have a better performance with newer cpu's, but,, this one can handle my GTX.

Another point. DCS with everything maxed out here doesn't use more than 50% of my cpu bound. It's enough for the game.

Luckily, A friend bought the same card and he has the Ryzen1700X Cpu. He will install it tomorrow and we will compare with each other.

Yesterday, i was flying a instant action with a-10a in NTTR map. With everything maxed out, took more than 100fps most part of time!

The IPC of the newer chips should be better, this article here kinda argues against that point

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/13/kaby_lake_7700k_vs_sandy_bridge_2600k_ipc_review/5

I went from a i7920 x58 chipset and borrowed my sons i5 because I needed a newer chip for VR. I did not see a huge difference TBH but with dedicated USB 2 it was neccessary. (both running at 3.6 Ghz)

I am going to be moving to a Z370 setup soon and I believe I will see a lot bigger performance boost because I will be able to overclock it again. This current i5 is locked!

I too have less than 60% CPU usage in DCS but I found that my DDR3 RAM is my biggest bottleneck now

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I have a I5-3570k @ 4.2ghz + 16gb ddr3 + gtx 1070-8g-gigabyte g1 gamin + ssd

I run everything to max and run a custom mission with many enemies.

min fps 38 (that was drop on loading and night mission)

avg/max - 60 (i use a vsynch)

I dropped the settings to:

https://imgur.com/Gay07G5

And give normally 60fps - sometimes old mission have a broken scripts then i get some drop fps.

Temperature never go more than 40C on GPU after changing to Arctic Accelero IV Extreme.

Hi guys!

Just got the new ROG Strix GTX 1070Ti. Amazing card! beautiful, cold, but, i didn't see much more performance comparing with my old card, MSi Gaming GTX970.

The TEST CONFIG is:

FRAPS 3.5.99 (can use the in game Rctrl + pause too)

MSI AFTERBURNER MEASURING GPU AND CPU

DCS 2.2 VERSION

MAP NORMANDY

GRAPHICS QUALITY AS BELOW

*1080p

*Everything maxed out, including those 4 sliders (trees distance, preload radius,chimestry, etc..)

*Cockpit Displays 1024 (not every frame ok!)

*MSAA 8x

*Deph of field OFF (i don't like it)

*Lens effects Dirt + Flare

*HDR OFF

*Defferred Shading (what the hell is this?) ON

*Anisotropic Filter 16x

*Shadows Defaut

*Cockpit ilumination OFF

THE TEST

*Using the Instant Action with TF-51 in Flight and using default view inside cockpit AWAYS looking straight ahead: Got about 60FPS with the new card

*Using the Instant Action with TF-51 in Take Off and AWAYS inside cockpit:

- Looking front: 58FPS

- Looking Left Wing: 60FPS

- Looking 7h: 62FPS

- Looking 5h: 59FPS

- Looking Right Wing: 53FPS

GPU LOAD: 99% most part of time

GPU CLOCK: 1848 Mhz

GPU TEMP: 62ºC

CPU LOAD: 40-50%

CPU CLOCK: 4Ghz

CPU CORE TEMP: 60ºC (tcase temp 50C)

So, i just wanna know about you, that have GTX1070 ou 1070Ti.

Please do the same test as described above and post here your results!

Would like to know if it's the dcs or my system that is not good enough for my card.

Thanks!

You cannot expect much performance in DCS 2.2 with a single 1070 ti. Even people with 1080 ti are complaining about performance issues. I have 2 1070s in SLI. Before I could make Sli to work performance was awful with single 1070. Near ground I was getting 38-40 fps. However, now with sli i am getting minimum 70 fps and maximum 130+ fps.