Back Again

Hi guys, I'm away from flight sims for almost 10 years, and wiiling to come back I was wondering if my Lock-On will be still up to date for a good flight sim experience. Also, I will need to buy a new desktop computer, so advices on some spec will be great. My old thrustmaster I understand that must be replaced (most because of "play" in the stick wich is annoying), also some advices for a new one will be appreciated.

Thank you

Fernando

• ED Team

Hi Fernando

Lock-on is very old and no longer supported.

We now have DCSWorld which is free to try

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

System minimum and recommended are below

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Discrete video card: 2 GB RAM (AMD, NVIDIA); requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Fernando. Whats is your budget for a new joystick? I highly recommend the acquisition of a HOTAS system. Here are a few references:

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X ~50€

Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Hotas ~130€

Logitech (ex-Saitek) X52 Pro ~200€

Logitech (ex-Saitek) X56 Rhino ~300€

Thrustmaster Warthog ~440€ invluding the price of a quite simple rudder

And if you can afford it, you can see what VKB and Virpil have to offer.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Wow Welcome back!

I suggest you download the DCS World 2.5 Open Beta and once confirming that your computer can run it ok I'd start with the FC3 aircraft pack and then work from there.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I'm thinking buying this rig, do you guys beleive I can get 30fps at full Graphics?

Intel® Core™ i5-4670K

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming (Socket 1150) HDMI Intel

Corsair Dominator DDR3 16gb(4x4) 1600MHz

HD 1TB Western Digital

HIS Radeon R9 290 4GB IceQ X2 Turbo

Power Pcyes Electro 600W Certificado 80 Plus Bronze

Case NZXT PHANTOM 530

Led Full Hd Ips 23,8 Widescreen Dell Se2416h Preto

Keyboard and Mouse Wireless

Logitech G Saitek X56

Thanks!

Would consider later vid card and an SSD.

<S>

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I just built an upper end flight sim rig for DCS. GFX card should be your last consideration simply because you can upgrade later on when prices drop upon new pending releases this year.

Make sure you get an SSD and, if you can afford it ("bite the bullet") 32 MB of 3200Mhz ram.

My present system gets sustained 30 FPS (Settings High) with some concessions due to GTX 960.

I have an i7 8700K, good MoBo, M.2 SSD and 32MB 3200 MHz ram. Even at 30 FPS things are "glassy" smooth with no micro-stutters or pauses. But the latter results are probably due to the CPU coupled with good quality Ram and the Samsung SSD M.2 NVMe EVO Drive. I can only imagine when I finally upgrade to a GTX 1080ti. Bite the bullet and don`t cheap out on ram. Why do you think Matt Wagner uses 32 MB of Ram in his demos? He does it because he knows it reduces the "beta" micro-stutters. Furthermore, John Venema (Producer and Developer of all ORBX scenery products) insists that SSD eats through scenery (read) files at a phenomenal rate over conventional HDD. The latter means smoother "auto-gen" and faster load times (which you will appreciate when tweaking settings back and forth).

Don`t underestimate M.2 SSD (fast SSD) for today's flight sims they are almost mandatory when combined with other components including a motherboard that supports M.2 SSD. Run the OS and DCS on same SSD boot drive as well with nothing else on it. Devote another drive for all the rest of your games and files. I researched for a year while saving up for my system and finally succumbed to the facts and now have no regrets. Bring it on DCS.

My specs:

Intel: i7 8700K CPU (Noctua NH-D15S Air)

Asus: Hero X Z370 MoBo (Latest Bios Update)

Corsair: Dominator DDR4 32MB 3200MHz Ram (2X16)

Samsung: 960 EVO 500MB M.2 NVMe SSD (for OS and DCS)

Samsung: 850 Pro 512MB 6G Sata 512 (all other programs)

Corsair: HX850 PSU

MSI: GTX 960 4GB Video Card (will upgrade GTX 1080ti down the road to support 4K)

Asus: 4K 29" Monitor (I currently run DCS at (2K)=2560x1440 res)--and it looks stunning!

Note:The CPU hardly breaks a sweat @ (44c) and the GFX card (bottleneck) maxes out at 100% @ (60c) The latter specs are in Nevada with 30-45 FPS and down to 30 over Vegas. In Caucasus the frames are a little lower. All of this , of course, is relative to preferred settings and the current state of beta.

Edited by Emra
Added facts and information

I just built an upper end flight sim rig for DCS. GFX card should be your last consideration simply because you can upgrade later on when prices drop upon new pending releases this year.

Make sure you get an SSD and, if you can afford it ("bite the bullet") 32 MB of 3200Mhz ram.

My present system gets sustained 30 FPS (Settings High) with some concessions due to GTX 960.

I have an i7 8700K, good MoBo, M.2 SSD and 32MB 3200 MHz ram. Even at 30 FPS things are "glassy" smooth with no micro-stutters or pauses. But the latter results are probably due to the CPU coupled with good quality Ram and the Samsung SSD M.2 NVMe EVO Drive. I can only imagine when I finally upgrade to a GTX 1080ti. Bite the bullet and don`t cheap out on ram. Why do you think Matt Wagner uses 32 MB of Ram in his demos? He does it because he knows it reduces the "beta" micro-stutters. Furthermore, John Venema (Producer and Developer of all ORBX scenery products) insists that SSD eats through scenery (read) files at a phenomenal rate over conventional HDD. The latter means smoother "auto-gen" and faster load times (which you will appreciate when tweaking settings back and forth).

Don`t underestimate M.2 SSD (fast SSD) for today's flight sims they are almost mandatory when combined with other components including a motherboard that supports M.2 SSD. Run the OS and DCS on same SSD boot drive as well with nothing else on it. Devote another drive for all the rest of your games and files. I researched for a year while saving up for my system and finally succumbed to the facts and now have no regrets. Bring it on DCS.

My specs:

Intel: i7 8700K CPU (Noctua NH-D15S Air)

Asus: Hero X Z370 MoBo (Latest Bios Update)

Corsair: Dominator DDR4 32MB 3200MHz Ram (2X16)

Samsung: 960 EVO 500MB M.2 NVMe SSD (for OS and DCS)

Samsung: 850 Pro 512MB 6G Sata 512 (all other programs)

Corsair: HX850 PSU

MSI: GTX 960 4GB Video Card (will upgrade GTX 1080ti down the road to support 4K)

Asus: 4K 29" Monitor (I currently run DCS at (2K)=2560x1440 res)--and it looks stunning!

Note:The CPU hardly breaks a sweat @ (44c) and the GFX card (bottleneck) maxes out at 100% @ (60c) The latter specs are in Nevada with 30-45 FPS and down to 30 over Vegas. In Caucasus the frames are a little lower. All of this , of course, is relative to preferred settings and the current state of beta.

Thanks! But man this Rig here in Brazil is USD 4K with Hotas and Monitor...too expansive for me!!

I'm thinking buying this rig, do you guys beleive I can get 30fps at full Graphics?

Intel® Core™ i5-4670K

HD 1TB Western Digital

Case NZXT PHANTOM 530

Logitech G Saitek X56

Thanks!

You should do well enough with this system. You will probably not be able to max the settings but 30fps with most options on high should be possible in 1080p. The recent 2.5 optimisations are good even for AMD cards.

The graphics card market is bad at the moment though. Demand is high due to the mining craze which pumped the prizes up. DDR memory is right behind.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Yeah. The memory prices are sickening right now. Not to mention the inflated GFX card market. Most people will make due with a middle of the road card for now.

In regards to the 4K monitor: I picked one up at a sale although I still think 1080P is probably the way to go because you need the best hardware all around to run 4K. Having to lower the res of a 4K to 1080P reduces the quality of the monitor image. This is why I run at 2560x1440 (2K). At these settings I get solid 30 FPS in Caucasus and 40+ in Nevada. This is probably due to i7 8700K and 32MB 3200Mhz ram, plus the M.2 NVMe SSD. Don`t underestimate the latter over a 1,200.00 dollar GFX card.

Intel® Core™ i5-4670K

HD 1TB Western Digital

Case NZXT PHANTOM 530

Logitech G Saitek X56

Thanks!

Loose the HD 1TB Western Digital in favor of an SSD or an M.2 NVMe. You will be extremely unhappy with DCS load times using a HD 1TB Western Digital. The difference is huge.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

• 5 weeks later...

Just DCS 2.5, and some sort of HOTAS.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Rig arrives tomorrow, what do I need to have installed, FC 3 and DCS World? I do have flaming Cliffs 2, do I need FC 3 in order to play?

thanks!

Just download DCS world 2.5

You get 2 cool planes for free to try out, the Su-25T is a free FC3 aircraft, yes you will need FC3 or you can buy them separately now if you don't want them all.

Have you got an ED account? You may as well signup now, this is how your install will know what you have bought when you login when launching DCS.

Go to www.digitalcombatsimulator.com click the link at the top (Login) then click on (Register)

You will login to the ED store when purchasing modules, maps, campaigns and they will get assigned to your ED account automatically.

Once anything is purchased it will show up in the module manager inside dcs, the button is at the top once DCS has launched.

MM150-1.jpg

-

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

As said. Install DCS World. If you own FC3 (not FC2 and previous version) then you will be able to install it. You will have to login to your ED account, as mentioned above.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Everything is working fine, the Cougar problem was solved with contact cleaner aerosol and is doing well. All graphics settings are at max, but I'm little disapointed comparing the DCS videos with what I got inside the simulator...they are not quite the same. Do I have to install FC3?

............ All graphics settings are at max, but I'm little disapointed[............../QUOTE]

No wonder...at max settings the 1050Ti will tilt !

Try lowering a few settings, MSAA 2x is already enough for that card, shadows to medium or flat, etc...

50-60fps is the minimum to have a good feeling while steering an aircraft, more is always better.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Everything is working fine, the Cougar problem was solved with contact cleaner aerosol and is doing well. All graphics settings are at max, but I'm little disapointed comparing the DCS videos with what I got inside the simulator...they are not quite the same. Do I have to install FC3?

You mean not the same in quality?

Running max settings on 1050ti will not work for you. You will have to reduce them a bit. :)

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

After some experiments in adjusting to get the best FPS, I realized that switching off MSAA improved my frame rates. Also, I leaving Vsync to nvidea not to DCS. My monitor is an Ultra Wide 29" and I'm getting 50-60 FPS inside cockpit. Heatblur medium, Shadows flat.

3 questions:

Why water, although is set on max, is not as good as it shown in DCS videos?

What is MSAA?

How do I get rid of circle with a radar position in the upper righ corner of the screen?

Thanks