Multiplayer in 2.5

jejsus

we (multiplayer) pay all this money and get treated like second class citizens. please give multiplayer some love. and VR combined arms.

If this was the case ED would not run open server testing to the public to find out what crashes servers, 2.5 has improved abit, Although still some bugs crashing severs, Its better even the last update has reduced some loading times.

The server stability seems incredible, from what I've seen so far our server can go on for a whole day without crashing with 30-50 players on all the time with Longbow. That's just straight up unprecedented on any previous iteration of DCS.

The client side is a bit of a killer, with the memory leak you have to use some workarounds to even be able to connect to the server. In my limited experience it seemed to crash every hour, but this seemed also very closely connected to the memory leak (~ 100% RAM use near crash). Also mass disconnects at times due to unknown reason.

I'm not trying to jinx it, but if the memory leak is fixed this should be fantastic.

;3371881']Yeah he is getting a little excited.

ED said they have 'plans' for a Dedicated Server, that doesn't mean anything other than they 'plan' to introduce it one day.

They never said when,

They never said how,

They just said they plan to do it.

@Drexx

While I admire your enthusiasm I'm afraid your facts are a little misplaced.

SP totally blows MP out of the water in DCS.

The difference is astronomical between the amount of people that fly online vs the amount of people that play DCS in SP.

You shouldn't take too much from the poll that was conducted on the forum, the vast majority of DCS users have no account on the forums so it's not an accurate way of gauging how the community is set up.

DCS MP has a big future, especially with all the community content creators, but it will be something that has to be grown over time. We have already come a long way since the first days of DCS with FC3 introduced.

This time in 5 years I am sure the MP scene will be transformed and hopefully will be more akin to other popular online games such as Arma3 etc in terms of the number of clients actually playing it.

Hey Maverick!

I totally agree on your last paragraph, I have little to no doubt about it. Still, I do not want to be shy to point out, that with the quality of MP in general - and I don't think it is necessary to explain what I mean with this, you have experienced this yourself the past 8 years - it is absolutely no surprise at all that SP is much bigger than MP. The frustration levels reached on many levels are just to high for MP to take off in any way that makes economic sense. I am inclined to say this is an incredibly waisted opportunity. Yes that is my personal opinion.

I think it is safe to say: Yes, flying MP in DCS it is the single most cool experience in multiplayer I have ever had in my life, while at the same time it is the heaviest continued frustration I have ever experienced in Multiplayer in the past 20+ years (how long is multiplayer around? I started MP with a cable hung between two houses because the internet only existed in magazines). And the fact that you Maverick personally told to me in a Teamspeak conversation on the blueflag-ts two years ago - which I still very much appreciate to have had - that "this has not changed in the past 6 (!) years that I've been around here - how long have you been around here? one? - and you should not expect this to change any time soon because [...]" still leaves me puzzled to say the least. It lowered my expectations and thus frustration levels and I am still thankful for that. But then again, looking at this, who is genuinely surprised that SP kicks MP in terms of numbers? :huh:

But I cannot resist to be a tiny bit of a wiseass. According to wags there are ~150 employees working on DCS by now. If only 10 of them would be dedicated to developing MP, we would see much more progress in MP-experience, and I think it is quite safe to assume that 9/10 people giving MP a single try will never return to MP again (which alone would result in a 9:1 SP:MP ratio). And I cannot blame them. How many times have you started your aircraft, done your preflight planning while the INS was warming up (if enabled), took off and flew 15-45mins (I love helos) towards your Target and then landed in the lobby or desktop or just experienced a hard freeze or lag-freeze which leads to ground impact? (helos once again). I have stopped counting and it's been more than 50% of the times for me, significantly more in a subjective perception which counts more than hard numbers. I stand the strong opinion that a proper MP experience is miles ahead of a SP experience especially in an environment as awesome as DCS, especially when frustration level is kept low, which sorry - speak up if you disagree - is the part where DCS fails the most and most spectacularly and for an unbelievably long time.

Whats your opinion about this Maverick?

Edited by 0xDEADBEEF

The client side is a bit of a killer' date=' with the memory leak you have to use some workarounds to even be able to connect to the server.[/quote']

...What would those workarounds be? It takes an average of 5-6 attempts to get into any populated server. I haven't seen anything that people are reporting that consistently fixes this type of issue yet.

...What would those workarounds be? It takes an average of 5-6 attempts to get into any populated server. I haven't seen anything that people are reporting that consistently fixes this type of issue yet.

You need to load the mission in SP and let it run for 10-15 mins. Then you exit, join MP and wait until it either loads or puts you back in the menu. If it threw you out, you should reconnect and it'll probably work, if not it's also probably better to quit and reconnect again. So far everytime I managed to not get kicked in the first attempt I had a constant 1 fps so it's a no go. It also seemed to be important not to join any A/C in the first join. On the 2nd go it usually doesn't lag. Not sure how consistent it is, but it seemed to work.

But I cannot resist to be a tiny bit of a wiseass. According to wags there are ~150 employees working on DCS by now. If only 10 of them would be dedicated to developing MP, we would see much more progress in MP-experience, and I think it is quite safe to assume that 9/10 people giving MP a single try will never return to MP again (which alone would result in a 9:1 SP:MP ratio).

Multiplayer has come a long way since the first DCS days with FC3 added, we used to only be able to host 16 clients in our server!

Now we have several very highly populated servers that all see 30+ clients every day at some time around the clock.

While MP in DCS can be frustrating it's not all doom and gloom,especially recently, I live stream a lot of my flights now and the evidence is there for anyone to see. I fly for hours without regular interruption, there are still stability issues but it's far from a lost cause and I certainly don't agree at all with your view on 9/10 people will never come back to DCS MP after trying it once.

Yes stability is something that has plagued us for years but positive things are happening behind the scenes for MP.

Despite what many people think, MP issues do get a lot of attention from the development team, if you read the change logs as updates come out you will always see MP fixes.

How many times have you started your aircraft, done your preflight planning while the INS was warming up (if enabled), took off and flew 15-45mins (I love helos) towards your Target and then landed in the lobby or desktop or just experienced a hard freeze or lag-freeze which leads to ground impact? (helos once again). I have stopped counting and it's been more than 50% of the times for me, significantly more in a subjective perception which counts more than hard numbers. I stand the strong opinion that a proper MP experience is miles ahead of a SP experience especially in an environment as awesome as DCS, especially when frustration level is kept low, which sorry - speak up if you disagree - is the part where DCS fails the most and most spectacularly and for an unbelievably long time.

Whats your opinion about this Maverick?

My opinion on your opinions (lel) are that they are on the extreme end of the scale, there is no question that DCS MP is growing, no question at all.

Every month more and more people are getting online and more Squadrons are starting. Yes stability is still an issue but we are seeing positive steps being taken.

The 2.5 memory issue has left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths but at the other end of the scale there are users who are not having any issues and literally fly for 4+ hours without interruption.

We are seeing regular hot fix updates for 2.5 and the memory issue is getting a lot of attention and will hopefully be fully dealt with soon.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, 2018 is shaping up to be an incredible year for DCS so I wouldn't get off the train just yet.

Despite some hick ups there really is genuine promise for long running stable MP missions, the test team is working with all major server hosts within the community to try and identify the causes of the transport.dll crashes and others.

Just keep a little faith and it will go a long way. I'm still here and I've been here for more than 8 years now and there are many more people that have been around way longer than I have!

You said it yourself, nothing comes close to DCS MP when it's working. That's why we have all stuck around.

This has not gone unnoticed, there is a lot of love for MP, people just don't get to see it because it happens behind closed doors. It's not the shunned project that some people think it is, it's one of those things that is much more complicated than most people would think it is, so making seemingly 'simple' fixes is not actually an easy task.

Things are 100% getting better, I've been exposed to DCS MP logs on a daily basis for the past 6 years as an admin on the 104th so I can vouch first hand that we are seeing improvements!

Keep the faith!

Soon™

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad