Strange sound issue

I hadn't flown the A-10A for a while, but I needed to re-map my keys/joystick/throttle/etc. I noticed that when I turn on the electric power (e.g. default: Right-shift-L), I'm getting this annoying tone... beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, … never seems to stop.

I haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from other than the following:

- It's not a warning tone, as I hit the Right-shift-N, which resets the warning tone, but it keeps going

- It has something to do with the Helmet, as when I hit Esc, Options, Audio tab, if I move the slider for Helmet all the way down to 0% and hit OK, that regular beeping sound is gone. But, if I do that, I can't hear any sound from the ground crew, ATC, etc.

Other than that, I have no idea what it is and how to get rid of it. Anyone have a similar experience? If so, how'd you get it to stop?!

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried re-shade utility, and with FC3 F-15C there is a continuous beeping sound that cannot be turned off, or source located. before this no problems. I have not tried all with this re-shade yet. But so far just the F-15C.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

it appears all FC-3 aircraft have this problem with the constant beeping. Tried more, SU-27, A10-A,..etc... beeping tone.... no way to shut it off once the aircraft gets power turned on in the cockpit.

I tried getitnga recording, and the sound isn't there when I turn the microphone on... wt...h ???

dcs.log.txt

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

• 1 month later...

Hey Ram - strange, I hadn't flown DCS FC3 aircraft for a while and tried it again tonight... same thing.. as soon as I hit Right-Ctrl-L to power on any of the FC3 aircraft, the constant beep-beep-beep... sound starts. The only way I can turn it off is to pick another aircraft, or go into options and turn the helmet volume slider to 0, but then I can't hear any radio traffic :(.

I'm surprised no one else has seen this problem.. not sure what's unusual about my/our set up that only you and I get it...

Are you sure that's not RWR sound? I have no beeps other than that after starting electric power in F-15C. A-10A have almost the same RWR so if there is any radar painting you RWR start to show icon and beep while updating signal every couple seconds. The russian aircrafts have their "Beryoza" too.

Can you upload the recording?

There are some ambient sounds on some airbases that have mild beeping too but you can hear it only when canopy is opened and no engines are running (nearby).

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Are you sure that's not RWR sound? I have no beeps other than that after starting electric power in F-15C. A-10A have almost the same RWR so if there is any radar painting you RWR start to show icon and beep while updating signal every couple seconds. The russian aircrafts have their "Beryoza" too.

Can you upload the recording?

There are some ambient sounds on some airbases that have mild beeping too but you can hear it only when canopy is opened and no engines are running (nearby).

Pretty sure it's not the RWR, one clue is that when I turn off the power by hitting right-shift-L again, the beeping continues. Also, this is apparently only happening when playing a mission in multiplayer mode. When I start a multiplayer (i.e. one that has client aircraft) mission using the Mission menu option, I don't hear the beeping. But when I start it via the Multiplayer menu option, I hear the beeping for all FC aircraft, as mentioned when I turn on the power via right-shift-L. I've attached a track where I start a multiplayer mission as the host/server, then jump in an A-10A, F-15C, Su-25A and Su-25T, and you can hear the beeping.

server-20180719-152938.trk

Edited by 609_Relentov

You running 2.5 stable or Open Beta?

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

You running 2.5 stable or Open Beta?

Running open beta. Also, strangely enough, yesterday I joined a squad-mate’s multiplayer server (running OB, this has all been on OB), and I didn’t hear the beeping on any of the FC3 aircraft. It was great to fly beep-beep-beep free, but still I’m puzzled what the cause is, as I’m sure it will come up again.

Does the beeping sound like an aircraft sound, or could it be something like a clogged radiator causing a PC system over-temp alarm once you jump in to the actual sim?

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Does the beeping sound like an aircraft sound, or could it be something like a clogged radiator causing a PC system over-temp alarm once you jump in to the actual sim?

It's definitely from the DCS sim - it only comes on when I hit the FC aircraft power (e.g. Right-Shift-L), and when I go back to spectator, it goes away, then comes in with the next FC aircraft when I turn on the power, etc. Also, as mentioned, once it starts, if I go to options, and lower the volume of the "helmet" option, it also goes away. Just isn't consistent though, which is making it more difficult to diagnose (only MP, but not all the time).

Just isn't consistent though, which is making it more difficult to diagnose (only MP, but not all the time).
I was unable to reproduce. I started multiplayer server on Caucasus with F-15C slot, dark and cold, turn on the electricity and no beeps.

I heard it only using your track so it may be your settings (double binding?) or mission specific.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

609_Relentov,

Out of curiosity, do you have any mods installed? If you do, you might want to uninstall them and perform a cleanup and repair on your installation. Obviously, that sound shouldn't be there and is completely unfamiliar to me.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks guys, no mods being used, but I’ll keep trying to isolate. The fact that a squad mate also has this from time to time on MP may help figure out the root cause. I will see about testing in MP a new fresh mission created with tha latest OB version. A couple missions that I play have been around for a while, so maybe there’s some combination of parameters that aren’t supported any more that could be causing a conflict. When we fly a mission created by another squad mate after 2.5 in MP, we haven’t heard the beeping recently...

Thanks guys, no mods being used, but I’ll keep trying to isolate. The fact that a squad mate also has this from time to time on MP may help figure out the root cause. I will see about testing in MP a new fresh mission created with tha latest OB version. A couple missions that I play have been around for a while, so maybe there’s some combination of parameters that aren’t supported any more that could be causing a conflict. When we fly a mission created by another squad mate after 2.5 in MP, we haven’t heard the beeping recently...

Might be worth trying an installation repair just on the off chance that some strange thing is interfering with your sound drivers or something equally weird.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Might be worth trying an installation repair just on the off chance that some strange thing is interfering with your sound drivers or something equally weird.

Hey DarkFire - actually I did... I repaired DCS and it still had the beeping (still inconsistent, although only on MP). I even uninstalled the FC3 module, rebooted and then reinstalled it after firing up DCS... same thing, so I'm still trying to find the magic bullet as to the cause.

Hey DarkFire - actually I did... I repaired DCS and it still had the beeping (still inconsistent, although only on MP). I even uninstalled the FC3 module, rebooted and then reinstalled it after firing up DCS... same thing, so I'm still trying to find the magic bullet as to the cause.

Hmm most odd. Something else that occured to me: are you running a game overlay such as Teamspeak or Discord? If so, try disabling the overlay & see if that helps.

It's like nobody noticed my post:

I heard it only using your track so it may be your settings (double binding?) or mission specific.
and I have a clean install, no mods, no additional software beside head tracking. btw: What kind of tracking do you have 609_Relentov, if any?

Can you upload the mission used in the track you attached?

I have this repeating sound in cockpit now on both release and open beta. Extremely annoying. Rolling back release to previous version to check but I believe that was ok last time I had time to play. No words from ED on this?

EDIT: This is some problem on my local computer. I don't know what have happened but the sound is bugged on music as well. Damn..... :(

Edited by HiJack

It's like nobody noticed my post:and I have a clean install, no mods, no additional software beside head tracking. btw: What kind of tracking do you have 609_Relentov, if any?

Can you upload the mission used in the track you attached?

Sorry draconus, I hadn't ignored your post. I use TrackIR 4, and I had checked my bindings and didn't see any conflicts. I also am not running any mods.

I'm still trying to figure out the pattern... but it may be mission specific as you hinted to. The mission I ran actually causes the beeping whether I play it in MP mode (as the host/server) or as a mission (SP). However, when a squad mate hosts, and I connect as a client, I'm not always hearing the beeping, so very strange. Not sure about uploading.. let me ask as we use it as a squad training mission. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what's unique about this mission that would cause the beeping, vs some other missions I have that don't cause the beeping.

Not sure about uploading.. let me ask as we use it as a squad training mission.

Hey, it's ok, I'm not pushing, just trying to help. I'm curious myself.

Sorry draconus, I hadn't ignored your post. I use TrackIR 4, and I had checked my bindings and didn't see any conflicts. I also am not running any mods.

I'm still trying to figure out the pattern... but it may be mission specific as you hinted to. The mission I ran actually causes the beeping whether I play it in MP mode (as the host/server) or as a mission (SP). However, when a squad mate hosts, and I connect as a client, I'm not always hearing the beeping, so very strange. Not sure about uploading.. let me ask as we use it as a squad training mission. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what's unique about this mission that would cause the beeping, vs some other missions I have that don't cause the beeping.

Does your team training mission have any LUA scripting in it? I wonder if some sort of scripting bug is causing the LUA run time engine to bug out. Not sure how it notifies you of any issues in game, but it could potentially be the source of the beeping.

Does your team training mission have any LUA scripting in it? I wonder if some sort of scripting bug is causing the LUA run time engine to bug out. Not sure how it notifies you of any issues in game, but it could potentially be the source of the beeping.

Yes it does - it has a couple of scripts... good point, I’ll have to check the Logs folder in saved games to see if there are any errors.

EDIT - I did see some errors in the DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.log:

ERROR: [string "C:\Users\xxxxxx\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua"]:1824: attempt to index local '_device' (a number value)

(forgot I had SRS in the saved games DCS.openbeta\Scripts folder). However, after removing these scripts, the beeping still occurred. Then I made a copy of the mission in question and disabled all of the scripts (uses MIST, plus a version of automan, plus a home grown script) and the beeping still persists. So, while a good thought, it appears it's not "external script" related. So, I'll keep digging to see what could be unique about this mission that is causing the beeping/conflict.

Edited by 609_Relentov

Hmm OK, let's see if we can narrow down the cause.

When the beeping happens, does it appear that the sound is coming from the game, or more specifically from the aircraft? Try changing individual volume controls to see of that narrows down the source.

Hmm OK, let's see if we can narrow down the cause.

When the beeping happens, does it appear that the sound is coming from the game, or more specifically from the aircraft? Try changing individual volume controls to see of that narrows down the source.

Actually, easy enough to miss, but in my original post I noted:

- It has something to do with the Helmet, as when I hit Esc, Options, Audio tab, if I move the slider for Helmet all the way down to 0% and hit OK, that regular beeping sound is gone. But, if I do that, I can't hear any sound from the ground crew, ATC, etc.

Also, if I move the top/first slider all the way to 0, the beeping goes away as well (master volume? can’t remember what it’s called).

Actually, easy enough to miss, but in my original post I noted:

Also, if I move the top/first slider all the way to 0, the beeping goes away as well (master volume? can’t remember what it’s called).

Ah OK, sorry I missed that. So must be something that's dependent on in-helmet volume. I'm sort of guessing here but to me that suggests it's something to do with the aircraft in question rather than the general game.