IDEA: DCS EU get-together

baltic_dragon

Hey guys,

I've recently been talking to Yurgon about an idea to organise some kind of a get-together for the DCS fans / players based in Europe. I know such initiatives are being made from time to time on a local level, but we thought that perhaps we could try to gather as many like-minded people as we can in one particular place that would either be convenient to reach for most of us (so some central localisation like Netherlands / Belgium / West Germany), would have something interesting to visit or see (so a nice museum with lots of aircraft or an air show going on at the time of the meeting). Or ideally all of that.

If enough people find this idea to be interesting, as for the timing we should probably aim for a weekend in the early autumn to be able to plan everything and book the slots in our diaries and buy the air tickets :). This post is just a feeler, if there is some enthusiastic response we could move to a series of polls to determine the location and good timing. But if you have any ideas regarding the venue, please post them below!

Cheers,

BD

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Would there be any DCS flying involved, or only beer? ;)

I'm all for an event where we can fly missions together all weekend!

Flying missions sounds great, but then everyone would have to bring their rigs and gear, there'd have to be a lot of infrastructure and the whole organizing thing becomes a lot more time consuming.

For now, I'd be happy to settle for beer. ;)

If it fits, why not :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, Radom is good - need to check the dates.

Radom airshow 2018 is 25-26th of August.

Perhaps Duxford also would be an option. Definitely meeting for some beers and chat, we can always play online from our usual places :)

Looks like there will be two at Duxford this year - the "Duxford Flying Legends Air Show"(quite appropriate :) ) 14-15 July and another "Battle of Britain airshow" in late September. Anyway, Europe has a "gazillion" airshows throughout the year - check this 2018 list: https://airshowinfo.hu/en/european_airshows/

Lots to pick from :)

JJ

Axalp 2018

The live-shooting airshow of the Swiss Army, on the

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

and/or

Thursday, October 11, 2018

On a two-day event, the Luftwaffe shows its ability in an alpine environment to a broad public. The program lasts from 2 pm to about 3:30 pm and is identical on both days.

Apart from the fighter jets F/A-18 Hornet and F-5 Tiger II, the program also includes the demonstration of the training aircraft PC-21, the Patrouille Suisse, demonstrations of rescue and firefighting operations, parachute reconnaissance missions and flight demonstrations with army helicopters.

The weather can change in the mountains in a short time. The Air Force reserves the right to cancel the event in doubtful weather at short notice.

Info here:

https://www.vtg.admin.ch/de/organisation/kdo-op/lw/flpl-mei/mehr-zum-militaerflugplatz-meiringen/vorschau-axalp.html

Edited by ellutscho
Google translator

Fractal Define R6 | Maximus XI Hero | i7-9700K@5.1GHz | GTX 2080 Ti | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | SSD M.2 1TB | VG248QE | TM Hotas Warthog | TrackIR4

DCS F-5E | MiG-21 | A-10C | FC3 | NTTR | F/A-18C

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone interested to visit Prague? :)

There is an aviation museum in Prague Kbely... and also there is an airshow in Pardubice each year which you can get to by train from Prague. It will be during 2-3 June.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Axalp 2018

The live-shooting airshow of the Swiss Army, on the

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

and/or

Thursday, October 11, 2018

On a two-day event, the Luftwaffe shows its ability in an alpine environment to a broad public. The program lasts from 2 pm to about 3:30 pm and is identical on both days.

Apart from the fighter jets F/A-18 Hornet and F-5 Tiger II, the program also includes the demonstration of the training aircraft PC-21, the Patrouille Suisse, demonstrations of rescue and firefighting operations, parachute reconnaissance missions and flight demonstrations with army helicopters.

The weather can change in the mountains in a short time. The Air Force reserves the right to cancel the event in doubtful weather at short notice.

Info here:

https://www.vtg.admin.ch/de/organisation/kdo-op/lw/flpl-mei/mehr-zum-militaerflugplatz-meiringen/vorschau-axalp.html

That sounds fantastic :) personally I'd aim rather for October and not end of summer as there will be more time to organise everything. But of course the majority will prevail.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I think this is a splendid idea though unfortunately I’ve spent my travel money for this year. Nevertheless Germany is only a few hours away from me by airport to airport, so I could put the second meeting in my diary.

PS I’d love to go to Prague though, one of the great European capitals and I’ve never been.

Axalp is great indeed. Never been there myself (yet) but going by stories and videos of previous events.

Only drawback there is that they cancel quite often due to bad weather, either on the mountain, or at Meiringen Airbase in the valley.

For a list of all the showdates in Europe, check the link below:

http://www.scramble.nl/show-dates/europe/date

I'm visiting Radom this year, and some shows in the Netherlands (Texel) and Belgium (Kleine Brogel).

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Currently there are no plans from our side for a meetup this year, Myself and the VEAO team will be at RIAT this year for the RAF100. So won't be at Flying Legends 2018. I think a couple of the team are going to one or two other shows in the UK but no plans for any organised meet ups this year outside of our virtual squadron one.

So please don't make plans based on the usual get together that we host/organise.

Pman

Well, there is the Radom Airshow in Poland this year, which might be interesting.

That sounds really great!

Anyone interested to visit Prague? :)

Absolutely! I think early June might be a bit too soon to organize an event, but I'd definitely like to visit Prague one day, and why not on a DCS get together, even if independent from an airshow?

How about Duxford Flying legends? I'll be there on the 14th...

Sounds great as well, though personally I'm not the biggest warbird buff on this planet.